The Student Room Group

AQA AS Computing Skeleton Code 2014

The Skeleton Code and other pre-release material for the AQA Computing AS exam has finally been released...
Having a look through it seems like some sort of card game.

The code itself has everything from arrays to for loops, the basic stuff that should be known.

I'm just curious to see what other peoples opinions are on the code, and what people think we may have to do with this code when the time comes?

There seems to be some sort of error in the code if you play through it a couple of times, I'm guessing we will be asked to sort out the error, but that is all I have personally found so far....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wikibooks has a section for people to add any questions they think might come up
Reply 2
Original post by DepletingSanity
The Skeleton Code and other pre-release material for the AQA Computing AS exam has finally been released...
Having a look through it seems like some sort of card game.

The code itself has everything from arrays to for loops, the basic stuff that should be known.

I'm just curious to see what other peoples opinions are on the code, and what people think we may have to do with this code when the time comes?

There seems to be some sort of error in the code if you play through it a couple of times, I'm guessing we will be asked to sort out the error, but that is all I have personally found so far....

Does anyone have a link or upload to the skeleton code and preliminary material?
Reply 3
bit.ly/1kYJycF
Reply 4
Does anybody have the visual basics one?
Reply 5
I mean VB.net skeleton program
Reply 6
For those asking here is the VB skeleton program as well as the accompanying AQA documents:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cxd7w6lovyjmts1/j0rcyQmNU5/Computing%20Pre%20Release%202014

If anyone has any troubles / questions / suggestions don't hesitate to post them that's what we are all here for.
Reply 7
Hi guys i get this error when i try and run, anybody able to help me?

http://imgur.com/2I5VANh

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Kingo385
Hi guys i get this error when i try and run, anybody able to help me?

http://imgur.com/2I5VANh

Thanks

You're going to need to open up your deck.txt in notepad and make sure its just numbers. Looks to me that you have some html elements in there from somewhere "13 </div></pre>" should not exist in the document.
Reply 10
hi guys, im an a level computing student and i am not really sure what the exam for the skeleton code will ask us to? and what will i have to do in order to prepare my self with the exam. My programming skills are very weak and i got confused often with it. :confused:
While running the code, when the file is shuffled, the shuffled file does not save so after you exit the program it reverts back to the original file.
Reply 12
There is a likelihood that they will ask us to edit the card game so that ace is high.

def IsNextCardHigher(LastCard, NextCard): #2 Variables
Higher = False
if NextCard.Rank > LastCard.Rank:
Higher = True
## if NextCard.Rank >= LastCard.Rank and LastCard.Rank == 1:
## Higher = False
## elif NextCard.Rank < LastCard.Rank and LastCard.Rank == 1:
## Higher = True
#### This piece of code is used to change the code to "Aces High" mode.
return Higher

This does it, but has no indenting due to the formatting of the editor here
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Has anyone found any problems with the game besides:

Can leave high score name as blank
Cannot quit game
Lose if cards are the same.

This is just from black box testing.

Any help is appreciated!
Original post by Mason1j
Has anyone found any problems with the game besides:

Can leave high score name as blank
Cannot quit game
Lose if cards are the same.

This is just from black box testing.

Any help is appreciated!

The shuffle option doesn't save to the deck file.
Reply 15
Guys I don't know if it is just me, but everytime I copy and past the code into VB and try to run it, I keep getting the following message:

There were build errors. Would you like to run the last successful build?

Then when I do or don't, the error message that I get is:

'Sub Main' was not found in 'ConsoleApplication1.Module1'

I am confused...and this is annoying since I can't do anything with the code currently due to that.
go to the top and change the module "Cardpredict" to module1 and then when you run the program it will come up and says it doesn't like it just shove a x:/ in front of the deck.txt within the speech marks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by NinjaTurtleDre
go to the top and change the module "Cardpredict" to module1 and then when you run the program it will come up and says it doesn't like it just shove a x:/ in front of the deck.txt within the speech marks

Thanks, changing the "CardPredict" to "Module1" worked.
When you say shove a x:/ in front of the deck.txt within the speech marks..do you mean the line of code pertaining to this should now read:

FileOpen(1, "x:/deck.txt", OpenMode.Input)

Instead of:

FileOpen(1, "deck.txt", OpenMode.Input)

?
Original post by Siegraze
Thanks, changing the "CardPredict" to "Module1" worked.
When you say shove a x:/ in front of the deck.txt within the speech marks..do you mean the line of code pertaining to this should now read:

FileOpen(1, "x:/deck.txt", OpenMode.Input)

Instead of:

FileOpen(1, "deck.txt", OpenMode.Input)

?

Yep X:/
download the deck.txt
This mainly comes down to where your deck.txt is located just shove the directory infront of the deck part

the code was basically missing the directory
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Siegraze
Guys I don't know if it is just me, but everytime I copy and past the code into VB and try to run it, I keep getting the following message:

There were build errors. Would you like to run the last successful build?

Then when I do or don't, the error message that I get is:

'Sub Main' was not found in 'ConsoleApplication1.Module1'

I am confused...and this is annoying since I can't do anything with the code currently due to that.

You need to find the file of your skeleton program and input your correct directory e.g. if in the C:/ drive, then "c:/deck.txt"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending