The Student Room Group

How to explain wanting to study medicine at oxford instead of that at cambridge?

How to explain wanting to study medicine at oxford instead of that at cambridge?
What is your honest reason?

I don't think you'd ever be asked "why Oxford and not Cambridge" tbh. Could say you prefer the course at Oxford - look on the websites for details about courses.
You should have reasons for why you want to study medicine at Oxford, so know details about the course. But I don't think they'll ask why Ox not Cam.
Reply 3
Don't say clichéd and overused reasons, what exactly interests you about medicine? What topic do you find most interesting in medicine and WHY? Why medicine out of all the other courses? Oxford wants you to show that you're interested in medicine, so just pretend you're telling your best friend why medicine is so interesting in a smart sophisticated way...

This is probably indirect.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
What is your honest reason?

I don't think you'd ever be asked "why Oxford and not Cambridge" tbh. Could say you prefer the course at Oxford - look on the websites for details about courses.

Original post by x__justmyluck
You should have reasons for why you want to study medicine at Oxford, so know details about the course. But I don't think they'll ask why Ox not Cam.

They might ask why Oxford not anywhere else though.
Original post by clh_hilary

Which is exactly why I said they should be prepared to say their reasons for why they applied there.
Reply 6
To be honest, I don't even see a problem with essentially pointing out that the admissions criteria for medicine differ so drastically at both Oxford and Cambridge you were swayed to Oxford as you knew the academic side of your application would carry more weight. However, it's not likely you'll be asked this - because in the vast majority of cases the interviewer isn't going to learn anything interesting from the applicant by asking; most will give a cringeworthy response, some will actually have an interesting/genuine reason for choosing one over the other, in either case it shouldn't sway a tutor's decision in regards to making an offer or not - so I can't see them asking for a reason other than their own curiosity.
Reply 7
Original post by clh_hilary

How on earth have you amassed 1,600 posts on TSR when you haven't been a member for a month? :rofl:
Original post by Noble.
How on earth have you amassed 1,600 posts on TSR when you haven't been a member for a month? :rofl:

Because I am God.

And I was still nowhere close to being No 1 last month!
Original post by x__justmyluck
Which is exactly why I said they should be prepared to say their reasons for why they applied there.

Yes you should. And why this programme compared to other programmes offer by Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending