The Student Room Group

driving license question

quick question - if you pass your driving test in an automatic car (and therefore hold an automatic license), does that mean you technically hold a full Uk drivers license? just wondering cos i came across an application form which asked if i held a full uk driving license. does that mean the full manual one, or does my automatic one count as full? help appreciated xxx
Reply 1
funky_faerie
quick question - if you pass your driving test in an automatic car (and therefore hold an automatic license), does that mean you technically hold a full Uk drivers license? just wondering cos i came across an application form which asked if i held a full uk driving license. does that mean the full manual one, or does my automatic one count as full? help appreciated xxx

i don't tihnk it means full. if u pass in manual, u are entitled to drive an automatic. however if u pass in automatic, u are not entitled to drive a manual gearbox. this would mean that ur 'automatic' licence does not class as a full one.
Reply 2
Firstly, this should normally be in the motor section of the forums.
Secondly, it isn't a full permit, if I remember correctly. You are only allowed to drive automatic cars, and not manuals. However, if you hold a manual licence, then you can also drive automatics. Therefore, the latter is a full licence.
Reply 3
WokSz
Firstly, this should normally be in the motor section of the forums.

sorry. am new to the forum. didnt even know there was a motor section.
laurah
i don't tihnk it means full. if u pass in manual, u are entitled to drive an automatic. however if u pass in automatic, u are not entitled to drive a manual gearbox. this would mean that ur 'automatic' licence does not class as a full one.

:ditto:
Reply 5
It's still classed as a full Licence. It's just that the categories on the back will be different. Manual cars are Category B, automatics are Category B Automatic

The only 2 types of Licence are Provisional and full, and as you've passed your test, its clearly not a Provisional.
Reply 6
While it may be considered technically a full driving licence, it would be best to mention that it is only an automatic licence at the first possible opportunity.
Yep, full licence as pointed out above, just different categories allowed. I.e. my full licence isn't anything less just because I can't drive a HGV :wink:
Reply 8
simeon
It's still classed as a full Licence. It's just that the categories on the back will be different. Manual cars are Category B, automatics are Category B Automatic

The only 2 types of Licence are Provisional and full, and as you've passed your test, its clearly not a Provisional.

but in the sense of filling in job application forms when they ask whether u have a 'full licence' i would assume they mean a licence that entitles you to drive manual cars, as the job may involve driving one of theirs. so in this sense i would not apply and say i had a 'full' licence, otherwise there would be no differentiation between the two.
Reply 9
funky_faerie

Write full licence and automatic in brackets :smile: .i.e. Full GB Licence (Auto gearbox), that covers all avenues :smile:
dimexi
Write full licence and automatic in brackets :smile: .i.e. Full GB Licence (Auto gearbox), that covers all avenues :smile:

As Dimexi says, it is a full automatic licence. Whether or not it makes practical sense to call it a full licence is neither here nor there as technically that's what it is called.
Original post by smilee172

Why would the automatic licence not be classed as as full licence just the same as a manual? Because it's the same driving test that's done regardless of whether you've passed it in a manual or an automatic car.
Original post by Clairemack7475
Why would the automatic licence not be classed as as full licence just the same as a manual? Because it's the same driving test that's done regardless of whether you've passed it in a manual or an automatic car.

It was over 10 years ago mate allow it

P.s employers usually ask that so they know if you can drive on their behalf, if you tick yes and they ask you to drive a company car that happens to be manual you're a bit screwed
Original post by smilee172
but in the sense of filling in job application forms when they ask whether u have a 'full licence' i would assume they mean a licence that entitles you to drive manual cars, as the job may involve driving one of theirs. so in this sense i would not apply and say i had a 'full' licence, otherwise there would be no differentiation between the two.

In that case it would be up to the employer to cover all bases. There's a local taxi firm in my area and they have a mix of automatic and manual cars. Covering all bases. As well as that all the automatics are hybrid so saving on the cost of fuel, which wwouod be something ford other employers to take a look at. And anyway, most employers want someone who has their own car, or access to a car.
Reply 14

Can you stop bumping ridiculously old threads for no reason, please?

As I’ve said before, please check thread dates before posting in future.

Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending