The Student Room Group

Hospital experience necessary?

Is official "work experience" reaaally necessary? I mean the stalking doctors and watching operations type thing,....cos if it is, im pretty screwed.

At the end of this summer i would have done....

Helping in a 3/4 yr old class in school(1 year)
volunteering at a state run nursery school(1 week)
Helping teach lil kids english(during hols)
Volunteering in a old peoples home(1 week)
volunteering in a hospice (2 weeks)

so...um yeah, im pretty screwed if u need proper medical experience....

the thing is, I spend holidays in japan, where work experience isnt normal, especially not in hospitals etc and if ur not already on some health related course.
Reply 1
I never did any work experience in a hospital, I couldn't get fixed up with any, I volunteered at a Nursing Home for 1 year and did some fund raising for my local neurology dept. Reading buddy at Schoool, I got 3 offers for Medicine and 1 Biomed 1 Biochem, alot is what you gain from it and what you write in your PS
Reply 2
How can you *volunteer* at a hospice for 2 weeks and an OAP home for 1 week? Volunteering is *ususally* taken as a sustained activity. Sounds more like W/E to me :wink:
Reply 3
Sounds like work experience to me too. If you write it as work experience and what you experienced then I can't see the problem:smile:
Reply 4
they were short term holiday volunteering schemes that the my town council in japan ran. Thank u so much! ive been trying to get "work experience" stuff but was impossible! that a HUGE load off my mind!

and the cliche question, is that enough?
i can talk forever about it, but most of it is small kids....
Reply 5
if you learnt from it and can use it towards your PS and just why medicine's right for you use it!

..i have to say if you can organize work exp in a hosp.. DO IT!.. i've just done it and LOVED it.. it's got me thinkin i wanna work in a hosp after finishin and not a GP as i was considerin..

Latest

Trending

Trending