The Student Room Group

Advice on re-applying

Hi! I recently got rejected from all 4 of my Medicine choices, so now I'm wondering what to do before I re-apply next year.
I have an offer for Biochemistry with Molecular Medicine from Nottingham which was my 5th choice, and I'm considering doing a year there as I reapply.
I'd like some advice on what other options people might have taken or considered such as charity or work in health care. Also, what are the odds for reapplicants? Are they usually successful?
Reply 1
Original post by brbwafflesyay
Hi! I recently got rejected from all 4 of my Medicine choices, so now I'm wondering what to do before I re-apply next year.
I have an offer for Biochemistry with Molecular Medicine from Nottingham which was my 5th choice, and I'm considering doing a year there as I reapply.
I'd like some advice on what other options people might have taken or considered such as charity or work in health care. Also, what are the odds for reapplicants? Are they usually successful?

Hey - sorry your applications didn't go well :frown:

What you're suggesting is, unfortunately, not possible. I am yet to hear of a medical school that allows you to essentially transfer from another degree at another university.

Did you get rejected pre- or post-interview?

I'm a grad applicant, and although I've very much enjoyed my first degree and everything has turned out well for me, if I had made applications from school and not gotten in, I would have chosen to take a gap year and reapply. In your gap year you can do things that may bolster your applications and you'll be in a great situation of already having your grades.

If you are happy to take your alternative offer and a gap year doesn't suit you then you can always apply as a graduate. One thing I would say is that GEM route is a lot more competitive so if you think you stand a chance at UG, I would go for that!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

I believe reapplication stats are good but what you've suggested is a bad idea a) it's expensive b) many med schools appear to look badly on people changing mid degree it suggests things about your personality I guess which aren't what they want in a doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Pretty expensive way to spend a year out...
Reply 4
Hey sry to hear about the rejections I know it's pretty suckish.

In terms of what to do that's up to you! it's one of the best things about it really is you can do what you want. I worked in a nursing home because I volunteered there before and they offered the job when I said about rejections and it looks good for application and gives money for travel but you don't have to work in something related to medicine (in fact i'd be tempted to say do something different it'll be more interesting and you'd still learn relevant skills).

I don't know about success rates. It didn't feel the process was any easier this year but I think actually at interview having experience and maturity benefited me and this gave me a better approach to questions at interview.
Retake your exams to meet their requirements, do well on the UKCAT/BMAT and you should be fine :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jam-jam
Hey - sorry your applications didn't go well :frown:

What you're suggesting is, unfortunately, not possible. I am yet to hear of a medical school that allows you to essentially transfer from another degree at another university.

Did you get rejected pre- or post-interview?

I'm a grad applicant, and although I've very much enjoyed my first degree and everything has turned out well for me, if I had made applications from school and not gotten in, I would have chosen to take a gap year and reapply. In your gap year you can do things that may bolster your applications and you'll be in a great situation of already having your grades.

If you are happy to take your alternative offer and a gap year doesn't suit you then you can always apply as a graduate. One thing I would say is that GEM route is a lot more competitive so if you think you stand a chance at UG, I would go for that!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile:
UCL pre-interview
Imperial pre-interview
Cardiff pre-interview
Manchester post-interview
Reply 7
Original post by WinstonO'Brien
Retake your exams to meet their requirements, do well on the UKCAT/BMAT and you should be fine :smile:

My grades are alright. I don't think my GCSE's were very competitive though, but it's too late to do anything about them. Do universities tend to love unfavorable on re-applicants?
Reply 8

One word got be 3 interviews ... strategy! While some may disagree, medicine is reasonably similar at all universities, so don't pick the ones you want to apply to - pick the ones you have a greater chance of getting an interview. Look on their website or google "x medicine admissions process" and they will usually outline what they are looking for.

Some unis even include their scores so you can guarantee an interview (e.g Leicester).

Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks! :smile:
UCL pre-interview
Imperial pre-interview
Cardiff pre-interview
Manchester post-interview

Oh ok - did you get any feedback from Manchester?

I think when it comes to pre-interview rejections, it's more often then not something on your personal statement or a lack of experience etc (generally something along those lines, as with entrance exams) so you could definitely be improving on those things by taking a year off and focussing on experience and entrance exams etc. and all (I think I said it) but you'll be in a strong positive once you've got your grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by richtea5
Hey sry to hear about the rejections I know it's pretty suckish.

In terms of what to do that's up to you! it's one of the best things about it really is you can do what you want. I worked in a nursing home because I volunteered there before and they offered the job when I said about rejections and it looks good for application and gives money for travel but you don't have to work in something related to medicine (in fact i'd be tempted to say do something different it'll be more interesting and you'd still learn relevant skills).

I don't know about success rates. It didn't feel the process was any easier this year but I think actually at interview having experience and maturity benefited me and this gave me a better approach to questions at interview.

Thank you :smile: Can't say it feels great at the moment :P
Were also a re-applicant? Where did you apply to?
Original post by jam-jam
Oh ok - did you get any feedback from Manchester?

I think when it comes to pre-interview rejections, it's more often then not something on your personal statement or a lack of experience etc (generally something along those lines, as with entrance exams) so you could definitely be improving on those things by taking a year off and focussing on experience and entrance exams etc. and all (I think I said it) but you'll be in a strong positive once you've got your grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

They wrote back saying I had passed academic and non-academic screening, as well as analysis of my personal statement and reference. It was my scores at interview which were low.
My grades are alright. I don't think my GCSE's were very competitive though, but it's too late to do anything about them. Do universities tend to love unfavorable on re-applicants?

Well I'm not too sure to be honest. You could contact various universities to ask them, I'm sure they'd be helpful.
Reply 13
Thank you :smile: Can't say it feels great at the moment :P
Were also a re-applicant? Where did you apply to?

yeh last year I applied; leicester, newcastle, sheffield, manchester and this year I applied leicester, HYMS, glasgow, southampton and have an offer from HYMS!

Really important to apply tactically - getting a balance between places you want to go to and have a chance at.

I guess people deal with this kind of personal setback differently, overall if you're sure you want to do medicine and you've put in the work than you'll get a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending