The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Applicants Day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by stephen_mcgarry
Ooh that's right! Yeah tough choices right? Those are interesting choices, sociology and criminology would be so interesting and factual, but with French you could spend a year abroad (I think?) Haha, hope you hear what you want to next weekend!
I would like to maybe turn the maths degree into a going degree with accountancy but I really have no idea how that would work :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Extremely tough choice and I am so worried I make the wrong one! Those are my exact thoughts about each!! Me to aha!

Wow that would be fab! Must be very smart aha!
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Original post by LindseyMck
Extremely tough choice and I am so worried I make the wrong one! Those are my exact thoughts about each!! Me to aha!

Wow that would be fab! Must be very smart aha!

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) I don't have that dilemma as I only applied to one course at Stirling, but I really want to go here, so maybe its good to have options? When do you have to make your firm and insurance? Mine is 7th of May, so I'm leaving making those for as long as possible, just to be sure, because I'm still in school! If that's your situation I'd leave it, as I say, just to be sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) I don't have that dilemma as I only applied to one course at Stirling, but I really want to go here, so maybe its good to have options? When do you have to make your firm and insurance? Mine is 7th of May, so I'm leaving making those for as long as possible, just to be sure, because I'm still in school! If that's your situation I'd leave it, as I say, just to be sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think theres both good and bad for both of us! its good for you because you pretty much know for sure what you want to do but then obviously bad if you were to ever change your mind!
Oh i'm not to sure? Never saw anything about making a firm and insurance choice and i am actually not sure what thats all about tbh! haha!
Reply 23
I love everything I've heard about Stirling but it's so far away I can't make it my first choice while being financially responsible :frown: think I'd feel a bit like a traitor going to the applicant day when it's my second choice, not first lol
I think theres both good and bad for both of us! its good for you because you pretty much know for sure what you want to do but then obviously bad if you were to ever change your mind!
Oh i'm not to sure? Never saw anything about making a firm and insurance choice and i am actually not sure what thats all about tbh! haha!

Ooh sorry maybe you don't have all your offers yet? Didn't even think of that :colondollar:
Well four of the courses I've applied to are Physics, and Maths with Physics (both degrees at two places) but this year I've really started to dislike Physics, and (conveniently...) really start to get into maths! Whereas for years its always been the other way around. This us why I feel like waiting to make my choices, cause I'm terrible at making choices :s-smilie: knowing me whatever I pick will be wrong in some way :sigh: haha
But yeah hopefully all goes well for both of us, and we get to do what we want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abbie :)
I love everything I've heard about Stirling but it's so far away I can't make it my first choice while being financially responsible :frown: think I'd feel a bit like a traitor going to the applicant day when it's my second choice, not first lol

Aww don't be silly! Its far from me too but I think I actually want it as my first choice. You should come along just in case you actually don't want it as your insurance, but when you see it you might want to make it your top choice, its great! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Aww don't be silly! Its far from me too but I think I actually want it as my first choice. You should come along just in case you actually don't want it as your insurance, but when you see it you might want to make it your top choice, its great! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thought that if I go I might fall in love with it scares me, because then I'll have to make a choice between choosing what is money wise and what I actually want lol

Right now I haven't seen Stirling so I don't get attached haha
Original post by Abbie :)
The thought that if I go I might fall in love with it scares me, because then I'll have to make a choice between choosing what is money wise and what I actually want lol

Right now I haven't seen Stirling so I don't get attached haha

Ooh these choices we have to make are horrendous :frown:! If I pick Stirling as my first choice, I have no insurance, so do I go with what I want, or what's safer?
Originally when I first went over I thought Stirling would only be my insurance, because I didn't really want to study maths alone, when I seen it I wished they offered physics, but now I glad they don't because I don't want to do physics anymore, and I do want to do maths so yay!
Anyway, I'd leave making your firm and insurance for as long as possible, just to be sure you're picking what you want to do! I'd worry less about the money situation at the minute, I think I'll be in the exact same boat :frown: do what you want to do, not what you feel you have to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope I do! It would help so much!
I have an offer to study maths here, which i really want to do, I think I'd put accountancy and computer science as my two other modules, but I not sure how all that works, hopefully find out next Saturday!
And you're wanting to dooo French or Criminology? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, being nosey and sticking my nose in -

I'm a current Stirling student, originally I came to do Maths but switched to Computing Science. If you have any questions about the modules etc then just ask.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by flown_muse
Hey, being nosey and sticking my nose in -

I'm a current Stirling student, originally I came to do Maths but switched to Computing Science. If you have any questions about the modules etc then just ask.

Good luck! :smile:

Oh that's great! Thank you so much! :smile:
Well my first question is why did you switch? Was maths too hard!?
And since you switched, was computer science one of your other modules?
I'm really undecided on computer science at the minute, I currently study ICT at school, but I really dislike it, but it is my top subject :sigh: so could you give me an overview of computer science?
Sorry for the long list of questions haha :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh that's great! Thank you so much! :smile:
Well my first question is why did you switch? Was maths too hard!?
And since you switched, was computer science one of your other modules?
I'm really undecided on computer science at the minute, I currently study ICT at school, but I really dislike it, but it is my top subject :sigh: so could you give me an overview of computer science?
Sorry for the long list of questions haha :colondollar:

Ha, no problem!

I didn't find Maths too hard, I really enjoyed it. When I was doing my three modules in first year, my main was obviously Maths, and one of my other two was Computing. I loved Computing so much that I switched after I'd done it for two semesters and made up my mind. That's one of the things I love, the flexibility and the fact that doing 3 modules gives you chances to experience other things.

CS at uni is nothing like ICT at school. I had never done CS/ICT at school so I can't really tell you my experiences, but from people I've spoken to at uni, it is very different. There's a big push in Education right now to get Computing Science taught at schools rather than ICT. IT's about programming, algorithms etc. The main language you learn is Java.

So far, in what I've done, first 3 semesters were all about programming. After that, it branched out and we covered some computer hardware stuff, more programming, web design, accessibility, programming language staples and how you can adapt knowledge to many different languages, etc.

Hope that helped a bit!
Reply 31
Ooh sorry maybe you don't have all your offers yet? Didn't even think of that :colondollar:
Well four of the courses I've applied to are Physics, and Maths with Physics (both degrees at two places) but this year I've really started to dislike Physics, and (conveniently...) really start to get into maths! Whereas for years its always been the other way around. This us why I feel like waiting to make my choices, cause I'm terrible at making choices :s-smilie: knowing me whatever I pick will be wrong in some way :sigh: haha
But yeah hopefully all goes well for both of us, and we get to do what we want!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have all my replies from stirling just waiting for one from Glasgow Caldedonian!
Thats like exactly whats happened to me this year too haha! better to change your mind now than when you start though!
I hate making decisions, especially ones as huge as this!:biggrin:

It always works out in the end they always say so fingers crossed!
Ha, no problem!

I didn't find Maths too hard, I really enjoyed it. When I was doing my three modules in first year, my main was obviously Maths, and one of my other two was Computing. I loved Computing so much that I switched after I'd done it for two semesters and made up my mind. That's one of the things I love, the flexibility and the fact that doing 3 modules gives you chances to experience other things.

CS at uni is nothing like ICT at school. I had never done CS/ICT at school so I can't really tell you my experiences, but from people I've spoken to at uni, it is very different. There's a big push in Education right now to get Computing Science taught at schools rather than ICT. IT's about programming, algorithms etc. The main language you learn is Java.

So far, in what I've done, first 3 semesters were all about programming. After that, it branched out and we covered some computer hardware stuff, more programming, web design, accessibility, programming language staples and how you can adapt knowledge to many different languages, etc.

Hope that helped a bit!

Ooh that's great! That really helps! :smile:

I just really dislike ICT at the minute, but it is my best subject, so yeah. But I'm just worried that I'll find CS the exact same, incredibly boring :frown:
Can I ask is there a lot of practical work involved with CS, the coursework done with ICT was my best part, almost getting full marks, and I actually enjoyed it, but the theory :unimpressed:, oh my goodness I have never bee so bored
But if you enjoyed it so much then I guess I can't go wrong!
Thanks for the help/advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have all my replies from stirling just waiting for one from Glasgow Caldedonian!
Thats like exactly whats happened to me this year too haha! better to change your mind now than when you start though!
I hate making decisions, especially ones as huge as this!:biggrin:

It always works out in the end they always say so fingers crossed!

Ooh when you get your last reply you'll see a date for making your firm and insurance by! Yeah that's right, I'd rather hate physics now than in 6 months time when I'm studying it :s-smilie:
Did you say all of your Stirling offers are unconditional? Lucky!

Yeah well like flown_muse said they dropped their main subject to take up one of their other modules, so maybe you could do France (as a module) along with Sociology and Criminology and then if you wanted, change to make French your main? I just don't know what would be best for my other modules, the two I said most likely, but I'm still undecided!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Ooh when you get your last reply you'll see a date for making your firm and insurance by! Yeah that's right, I'd rather hate physics now than in 6 months time when I'm studying it :s-smilie:
Did you say all of your Stirling offers are unconditional? Lucky!

Yeah well like flown_muse said they dropped their main subject to take up one of their other modules, so maybe you could do France (as a module) along with Sociology and Criminology and then if you wanted, change to make French your main? I just don't know what would be best for my other modules, the two I said most likely, but I'm still undecided!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok thank you! Yep, I was like crying each time they gave me an unconditional! Didn't expect to get them at all haha! :tongue:

Ah thats smart actually! Might do that because then I can see which really grabs my interest!

Well you have loads of time to decide so you'll be able to choose exactly what you want! :biggrin:
Ooh that's great! That really helps! :smile:

I just really dislike ICT at the minute, but it is my best subject, so yeah. But I'm just worried that I'll find CS the exact same, incredibly boring :frown:
Can I ask is there a lot of practical work involved with CS, the coursework done with ICT was my best part, almost getting full marks, and I actually enjoyed it, but the theory :unimpressed:, oh my goodness I have never bee so bored
But if you enjoyed it so much then I guess I can't go wrong!
Thanks for the help/advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are labs every week, usually an hour long, where you practice coding. You have to get to a certain point in the work and get it checked off - that's a checkpoint. In the first couple of years the checkpoints make up anywhere from 10-25% of your grade, so if you do that work you automatically have 100% for a large part of your grade! Then there is usually a coding assignment. The exams have all been 50-60% of your overall grade, so it's half coursework and half exam really.

No problem :h:
Ah ok thank you! Yep, I was like crying each time they gave me an unconditional! Didn't expect to get them at all haha! :tongue:

Ah thats smart actually! Might do that because then I can see which really grabs my interest!

Well you have loads of time to decide so you'll be able to choose exactly what you want! :biggrin:

Well done anyway! Its a great achievement! Yea I thought that too, if you end up disliking one, just switch..?
Yeah thank goodness for all the time, I thought I'd have like a month to decide not five!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are labs every week, usually an hour long, where you practice coding. You have to get to a certain point in the work and get it checked off - that's a checkpoint. In the first couple of years the checkpoints make up anywhere from 10-25% of your grade, so if you do that work you automatically have 100% for a large part of your grade! Then there is usually a coding assignment. The exams have all been 50-60% of your overall grade, so it's half coursework and half exam really.

No problem :h:

Ok that sounds good, though I have never even tried code :L
I like that combination, thanks for all the help again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Well done anyway! Its a great achievement! Yea I thought that too, if you end up disliking one, just switch..?
Yeah thank goodness for all the time, I thought I'd have like a month to decide not five!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thats what the plan is! Think i'll accept sociology and criminology and then maybe switch to french but i'll ask next weekend to double check thats possible!

Wait.. so are you coming over from ireland for a day?!:eek:
Yeah thats what the plan is! Think i'll accept sociology and criminology and then maybe switch to french but i'll ask next weekend to double check thats possible!

Wait.. so are you coming over from ireland for a day?!:eek:

Ooh yes, been over before, but just wanted to see it to be completely sure! I have family in Edinburgh so were staying with them for a night after the applicants day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest