The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Southampton for Computer Science?

Hi,
I've got offers from Birmingham and Southampton for masters in CS and I've got no idea over which one to choose. Both the offers are A*AA, but Southampton say if you get AAA they'll automatically put you on the BSc course, I asked Birmingham and they said that if you miss your offer by one grade you'll be considered for both the BSc and the Masters but no promises. Downside of Southampton's policy is that if I get AAA there's absolutely 0 chance of getting on the Masters.

I've seen both unis and loved them both so much, I looked at the course content and they both seem really interesting. Would be on the side of a bigger city but then Southampton is close to London, which is where I live so... idk, does anybody have any helpful advice?
Reply 1
Original post by d07sadur
Hi,
I've got offers from Birmingham and Southampton for masters in CS and I've got no idea over which one to choose. Both the offers are A*AA, but Southampton say if you get AAA they'll automatically put you on the BSc course, I asked Birmingham and they said that if you miss your offer by one grade you'll be considered for both the BSc and the Masters but no promises. Downside of Southampton's policy is that if I get AAA there's absolutely 0 chance of getting on the Masters.

I've seen both unis and loved them both so much, I looked at the course content and they both seem really interesting. Would be on the side of a bigger city but then Southampton is close to London, which is where I live so... idk, does anybody have any helpful advice?

May I ask you which one you chose? I just got an offer from Birmingham for CS.
Original post by kylesg
May I ask you which one you chose? I just got an offer from Birmingham for CS.

Birmingham is better.
Reply 3
Southampton, Sir Tim is there! (If you do the Web Science course, he'll teach you someday).

If you looked at the ranking, Birmingham is higher but it wasn't until quite recent. Southampton, on the other hand, have consistently in the top 10 for their CS course, along with Bristol.

Entry standard is higher for Southampton as well, maybe this is an indication that there are more people applying each year so they have to increase their entry standard.

But if you're international, pretty sure Birmingham have more international so you'll more likely to meet students from your home country, if that is what you after.
Southampton cause I don't really like Birmingham.

Sorry I am biased here but duh.
Reply 5
I study Computer Science at Soton. Unless it's changed massively for new students I'm pretty confident you would easily be able to switch to the MEng whilst you are here after your first year providing you're a good student and average at least a 2.1 (60% - which is easy enough to do first year).

I'm also from Birmingham. As a city I personally find Birmingham much better. Busier and a lot more going on, but it depends what you want from a city. Happy to answer any other questions about CS at Soton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending