The Student Room Group

Would you drive up a kerb for an emergency vechile ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gbduo
One would have thought an advanced driver such as an ambulance driver would never have got himself into that situation in the first place.

But if they did the blocking car reverses into a side turning or something. It's impossible to say without being in that situation, but if you can't physically mount the kerb without damage to your car then you don't have much choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well an ambulance driver just sees loads of cars mounting the kerb, and assumes that they are all going to do that, so he keeps on charging. He can't tell that a car is lowered (or at least not until it's right in front of him). F*** off am I damaging my Passat to let you through
Reply 81
Original post by traintracks1995
Well an ambulance driver just sees loads of cars mounting the kerb, and assumes that they are all going to do that, so he keeps on charging. He can't tell that a car is lowered (or at least not until it's right in front of him). F*** off am I damaging my Passat to let you through

Yes but the golden rule about any decent driver is never to assume anything. I have never seen an ambulance driver charging through either, police cars I have because they are in cars and one nearly T-Boned me at a junction after coming over a hill too fast and coming through red lights out of control but thats a different story.

There is no way I would damage my car to let an ambulance through, I would reverse or find a dropped kerb I could go up on.

At the end of the day, you as a driver should be looking far enough ahead to see/hear an ambulance coming and then you can take measures as a proactive measure rather than be reactionary.

Quite frankly, to be in the situation whereby the ambulance is stuck and you as the driver have no where to go shows terrible driving on both sides.
Reply 82
Original post by fizzie
I suppose you just have to hope that 'that fat old man' in the ambulance isn't your Dad. One day it might even be you.....

Calm down dear :lol: I was obviously joking...
Original post by gbduo

At the end of the day, you as a driver should be looking far enough ahead to see/hear an ambulance coming and then you can take measures as a proactive measure rather than be reactionary.

Sounds great in theory. But this line of cars in the above scenario was literally 200 metres or so long (5:30 pm traffic), with no dropped kerbs and the road not wide enough for 2 cars and an ambulance to fit without the cars being on the kerb. I saw the ambulance coming from about 100 metres away but with cars in front and behind me, nothing I could do about it
Reply 84
The police are all pigs out to stop drivers having fun. If they put their energies into catching drink drivers and car thieves rather than drivers having a laugh at 100+ life would be sweet

never a truer word said
Reply 85
Sounds great in theory. But this line of cars in the above scenario was literally 200 metres or so long (5:30 pm traffic), with no dropped kerbs and the road not wide enough for 2 cars and an ambulance to fit without the cars being on the kerb. I saw the ambulance coming from about 100 metres away but with cars in front and behind me, nothing I could do about it

Yes but the fact of the matter is, is that the ambulance got past you without you needing to go up on the kerb.

You saw the ambulance coming, you decided, probably subconciously that it could get past you without going up on the kerb, you were right.

I don't really see the point in this thread to be honest, we are just going round in circles.
I don't see the big issue about driving onto the kerb to help an emergency vehicle get through if it is genuinely necessary.

If the road is too narrow, then as long as there are no pedestrians in the way, drive onto the kerb at the correct angle/speed, and assuming your car isn't lowered (lowered cars are stupid anyway), you have nothing to damage.

Can't believe there are people on here who think the only purpose of the cops are to harass people. With that level of stupid thinking, you deserve every bit of harassment you get.
I don't drive but aren't roads designed for ambulances and fire engines?
Original post by Anfanny
I don't drive but aren't roads designed for ambulances and fire engines?

No, and also this thread is almost 3 years old.
Reply 89
No but I'd go through a red light just for them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending