The Student Room Group

What part-time jobs have you had (and would you recommend them to other people)?

Scroll to see replies

Best job I've had is as a Student Ambassador for the past 2 years. Most Universities probably run this kind of scheme, but it's such a great thing to get involved in. I'm actually really sad that I'm going to have to leave it this year!

I get to take prospective students on campus tours, HEI fairs, help out in Clearing week and also work with schools and tutor students studying for their A-Levels/GCSEs (which is really rewarding because all the kids are usually really respectful). Get paid pretty well, and it's a zero-hour contract but has a constant stream of work so I can just do it when I haven't got many assignments and generally have weekly work. I've hated working in customer service environments and I don't think I've gained much from those roles but with this one it's helped me become a better public speaker, more enthusiastic and generally more confident. Casual work is great, because you choose your own hours and can fit it in around your own time. :biggrin:
Original post by mblondek
There are a lot of comments on this thread displaying what jobs people have done and how to get a similar job. But there is one problem - they are all normal, unimpressive regular jobs! (Sorry to insult!).

Don't go to work as a sales attendant at Next! Don't work in the co-op! Don't mow your neighbour's lawn! The most important advice I could possible give to anybody seeking a part-time job is to do something different!

When I was 18, I was nearing my A-levels and was worried that I would end up jobless over the summer, sat on my bed worrying about my exam results. I wondered what I could do. All of the retail jobs in my area had long gone and I didn't want them anyway.

I decided I would apply at the city hospital for a part-time, locum job. As it happens, Accident and Emergency are never short of places for casual staff to come and work (provided you have the stomach for it).

It took a long time, but I got the job and I loved it.

I was given responsibility straight away and I grew as a person by the minute. I learned to handle difficult people, to take care about everything I do and I learned to really care about the job. Two years later, I am still there! I come and go when I'm not in University and I still enjoy it.

Better still, I had an interview for a graduate scheme in Canary Wharf. When I told them what I did, they instantly raised their eyebrows and later gave me an offer.

Why do I think it impressed them? Because it was different. It showed that I had the initiative to do something different and absolutely everybody is capable of doing the same.

We all wander into retail or bar work because our brothers or sisters or friends do. Show some initiative - do something different! Go to work at a hospital! Work for your local government or council! Do something that will throw you out of your comfort zone!

This sounds really interesting! Did you need qualifications before you started?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I currently work as a receptionist - £6 an hour, and I let people in and out telling them to take a seat and ticking their name off a list. I spend the rest of the time doing what I want, generally revising, writing essays or just chilling. This is genuinely what I am supposed to do, it's a super easy job. Then I lock up and go home woo!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 343
After a year of let downs, I was employed by Centre Circle in February as a Steward in Training. Since its all about spectator safety and customer service, anything can and will happen. If you need flexibility, then this may be up your alleyway. No experience needed, but is not only preferred, but is beneficial to you. Sadly, the closest thing I've done to stewarding is being a student ambassador x_x

I would recommended! *-*
I worked in a cafe and found it very stressful especially during lunch time. I have also worked in a pottery which was very fun as we get to make things all day!.
I now work as a lifeguard. I would recomend becoming a lifeguard to anybody, they are always in need and it is a gret thing to put on your personal statement. You do need to complete your training qualification and it does cost but you quickly make the money back by working and you gain so many skills including CPR, the recovery position, treatments for many injuries including breaks, fractures, sprains and burns etc and how to use a defibrillator.
Well the latest part time job/ voluntary job I had was working for a tech company in london excel " a massive convention".
the few days I worked there was awkward and super boring as the only job I had to do was give out leaflets and books.

the only upside was that the manager gave me 30 pounds per day for travel and food ^.^

Spent 10pounds on food and travel and saved the rest.
Reply 346
My first job was as a dishwasher in a local pub... the less said about that the better haha but then since I had 'experience' to put on my CV I was then able to secure good part time jobs in retail! Over the last few years I've worked in Zara, House of Fraser and TK Maxx. So even if you have to start in a job that you're not too keen on, just stick it out for a few months then you can move on to something you actually like :smile:
Reply 347
My favorite job by a mile was being a barista in a gelateria :tongue: Long hours, but the work was quite nice since you get to talk to people all day. Plus, you stay in surprisingly good shape from all the walking, cleaning, and lifting of the gelato containers (those babies are heavy !!!), even though I got to eat the stuff as much as i wanted :colondollar: and, of course, tips

Worst jobs, telesales and street fundraising, definitely can't recommend them to anyone, even though I didn't find them as bad as people make it out to be.

Also, secretarial work is alright, simple enough, don't have to deal with ****ty customers, but I found it quite boring.

But depends on what kind of a person you are, definitely :smile:
Reply 348
I have had:

Waitressing and Bar Work (during the holidays at Uni, and also during my A-Levels). It's hard to recommend as you're either ok with it or you're not, and it's also dependent on the company. I worked for a chef who purposefully poured cream over me on my first day- just because he was convinced I was about to drop something and I said that I was fine! I've also worked with some really great people. However, it is ALWAYS stressful, so you have to enjoy a fast-pace to get along with it! If it isn't stressful, it's dead and inutterably boring!

Working online from home this is my recent thing, and it's great! I've been using this German website that has recently moved into the UK, and it's awesome. I pick a little job i wanna do (i.e 'rewrite 10 product descriptions'), do it, hand it in, get paid. It's so flexible I'd totally recommend it if you want to earn a little side money but can't commit to anything- you can do as much or as little as you like! Signing up is free!
Original post by elfess
I've worked in Debenhams, Next, Waitrose and at the moment I work for Dune shoes.

In retail, your responsibilities vary on your job role. In all of them you can expect to talk to customers, which gets easier with time and practice. You can also expect to work on the tills, clean, tidy up displays and get things from the stock room for customers. Also expect to stand on fitting rooms for hours on end listening to the same music on repeat.

It's not all bad though, and I would certainly reccomend getting a job!

This is because -

1. You get money! That means you can save up for things you want, or just have a little cash on the side.

2. It gives you more independence. Not only in a monetary aspect, but also just in the way you can get up in the morning, go out to work and do something that you're not necessarily used to doing, away from the people who make you feel in your comfort zone. It challenges you and helps you grow as a person.

3. You can learn a lot about life, yourself and other humans by working. It also gives you a chance to learn new skills.

4. When it comes to getting a job in the future, or places on a course, it shows you are proactive and that you have a good work ethic. When I first started working it look me a long time to find a job because I had no previous experience.

...Don't let this put you off though! You'll get there eventually. All you need to do in interview in that case is put across that you're a nice, friendly person. You don't even have to be very outgoing because many companies won't expect everybody to be extroverted and chatty. One thing that helped me with interviews was to go online and find sample interview questions, and write down my potential answers to try and prepare. On the about.com website they actually tell you the sort of answers employers are looking for and it's very helpful. There's also another website called glassdoor and people put their interview experiences on there for major companies so you know what to expect.

Another thing - if you are going to an interview, always dress smartly and make yourself presentable. The amount of people I've seen going into an interview wearing jeans is ridiculous. In some places it's okay, but you can never make a bad impression (visually) if you do put in the effort to look nice. You have more chances of making a bad visual impression if you don't make yourself presentable.

Body language, especially eye contact, open postures and smiling is very important. Try not to babble too much, they tend to prefer answers that aren't too short or too long.

Make sure you are polite and respectful, and think of it more as an opportunity to learn something, and put it in your mind that you already have the job. This will give you tons more confidence when you go in.

Even if you are rejected, don't think of it as negative because it means you can ask the interviewers for tips on how they think you could improve for your next interview. If they don't give you any tips, you can try and think about what you said and how you acted, and how to improve. Look at it as a way to narrow down your choices to get a better job. Every time you go in, just think - I have nothing to lose! Even if you don't think it's true, it tends to help. At least it did with me.

One more thing - get volunteer work whilst you're job searching. It's worthwhile but also gives you something more to talk about in the interview, and gives a good impression in that you are proactive.

If you are searching for work, then make sure you have a look online and in papers as often as you can. Also keep an eye out for signs in shop windows. It's surprising how many you can miss if you don't actively look for them when you're out and about. It can take courage, but if you particularly like a shop or place that you're in, feel free to ask if they're looking for anybody to hire. At worst they can say no. This doesn't mean that they don't want to hire you specifically of course. You could even ask if there's a website you can keep looking at in case any jobs do come up. It makes you feel more productive that way, even if there isn't a job on the horizon with them very soon.

If anyone needs anymore help, then feel free to message me. I have loads of information on this sort of thing so maybe I could give you advice on interviews and CVs etc :smile: x

How much does Dune pay?
Reply 350
Dune doesn't pay that well. I got like £5.36 an hour or something.
How do you get into secretarial work (any websites you would recommend..?) and does it require previous experience? xx sorry to bother :smile:
Original post by shooks
Lots of people get a part-time job when they're at school, college or uni. What was yours, and would you recommend it to other people?

This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 1 May to be in with a chance of winning an iPad mini.

I as a ski tech it's not exactly laugh a munite but it was pretty fun got to talk to lots of people run a few party activities a free use of the slope and instructor training I later on became an instructor and that was ace I would recommend it if you have any interest in skiing or snowboarding if you don't then it might not be for you.
Reply 353
Currently work part time at McDonald's and good god I hate it.

When I first started, i thought it was a decent job despite the pay. However after about a year I didn't enjoy it any longer. The staff at my store are really friendly but it's the fact that the tasks are so repetitive, and the fact there is no rotation at my store. It's actually gotten to the point where if I'm assigned to do the car park, bins and floor and back rooms I genuinely enjoy doing them more than cooking in the kitchen.
Original post by redferry
Working at Cadbury world. I ate soooo much chocolate. Would definitely recommend it.

Id love that. It would be heaven.
Ive been to M+M world in london a couple of times. Once when i went there was a sign in the window for summer staff. If i lived a lot closer i would definitely have applied.
Original post by XLauraLouX
Paper Girl
Shop assistant x3 (Local shops and McColls)
Dog Walker
Pet Sitter
Equine Groom
Farm Hand
Office Junior in Law Firm
McDonalds Crew Member

Enjoyed all, even the latter. I didn't realise how good a company McDonalds was when I (if I'm honest, reluctantly) joined however I was quick to realise they take care of employees. Recommend all as part time jobs except McColls. :unimpressed Do NOT work for McColls though! Poor wages and boring shifts - nothing to do as stores are not that busy in a nine hour period! :unimpressed

I agree. It may vary slightly by store, but they do treat you better than people make out.
rn i work in greggs, it's a bit tiring if i work the longer shift. The pay is good and they pay weekly :biggrin: if you don't enjoy standing up for a long time then this isn't the place to work :/
I was just wondering, how did people go about finding jobs with good hours to suit studying? I am about to turn 16 and am thinking of applying to lush as they have good pay plus I love the company and their ethos!
any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending