The Student Room Group

Look worse with make-up?

Many people wear make-up as they feel it makes them look better and feel more confident/comfortable, but when I wear it I feel that it makes me look even worse?

I'm not trying to sound vain in the slightest, I'm actually incredibly self-concious about my looks, but I feel that when I apply make-up, it doesn't actually suit me. I'm a girly girl so it's not like I act or do things that it is out of place with. I actually feel more uncomfortable when wearing it.

I grew up not being allowed to wear make-up and was only allowed to start applying a little bit of eye make-up when I was 14. This is mainly why I'm not too bothered with wearing it anyway and only really wear mascara occasionally.

Does anyone else feel that wearing make-up just simply doesn't suit them, or makes them look worse?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe you're applying it wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by saarah_
Maybe you're applying it wrong.

No, even when I have it done professionally I still feel I look worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by majmuh24
Don't wear it then...

Are you sure you're using it properly?

TBH, it'll make a change from all the girls I see who practically have their whole face painted on. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't wear it, and I know how to apply it and even when I get it done professionally it still doesn't make me feel I look better. I just sometimes feel more out of place with friends and self conscious not wearing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Tbh I know what you mean, I feel I look better with no makeup than a lot of makeup. So if I wear makeup I often just do the basics i.e powder, mascara, fill in eyebrows and some lipstick occasionally :smile: I look awful with too much eye makeup or blusher etc, and I feel more self conscious in it too. I think it's about finding what works for you :smile:
Reply 5
Looking at your profile pic, I don't think you can get much prettier, assuming you did it w/out make up :smile:
You're definitely applying it wrong. Everyone looks good with some form of makeup, even if just on the eyes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by majmuh24
Do you have any make up on in your profile pic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope
Reply 8
I think it's possible for certain make up not to suit people. For instance I've never really found that lipstick/lip products or eyeliner and mascara on my lower lash line suits me.

Different things suit different people
Reply 9
I know literally nothing about makeup but maybe you just haven't found the right type? And why should you care, if you look best without it then why change?
Reply 10
Everyone looks better with the right makeup. You just have to tailor it to your face. If you get pretty bad dark circles but the rest of your skin is flawless, you'd use concealer under your eyes and leave the rest makeup free. You don't have to put a full face on.

The minimum I put on is concealer to even out my skin, eyebrow definer and a little mascara. It doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup though.
Yes, I feel the same. I do not wear make up because it does not suit me also. I just see to it that my skin is radiant and smooth. I do not neglect the basic steps of skin care. I just wear lip balm and sunblock when I go out.
Maybe it's because you're not use to wearing it? When I had my make up done professionally for the first time I thought I looked like a clown despite receiving lots of compliments.

I can't imagine someone looking worse after applying make up tbh :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then don't wear any, embrace your natural beauty:biggrin:
Reply 14
All these people telling her "you're probably just applying it wrong" - so what? Is it really that unnatural to not want to wear makeup?
Reply 15
I agree with others in that it seems like you're not used to it. When I first started experimenting with make up, I thought I looked like a clown. Especially on a full face of the stuff, if you ease into it, with the right shades to match your skintone, I think people start noticing the enhancements suit more.
Reply 16
I see I look a bit better with mascara and little bit of foundation. But I cannot wear it, I feel like I look different and everyone is judging me for wearing make up like 'she is ugly but wears make up to cover her ugliness'. With make up I don't feel like 'true' me.

Also, I'm a bit fine wearing little bit of make up when I go somewhere people don't know me and don't know how I look like without make up.
You're not putting it on right
With getting it done professionally they usually put a lot on in a way that you're obviously wearing make-up - if you're not used to that then it's quite easy to feel like a clown.

If you're using it right/ using the right products then a little will improve anyone's looks - that's the whole point!
Even just one coat of a good mascara.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
You're not putting it on right

but she said she had it done professionally.....

Quick Reply

Latest