The Student Room Group

Voluntary work and Geography-related work exp

Last summer after my GCSEs i basically did nothing for two or three months, so this summer i want actually do something worthwhile, like some kind of job or work experience but i don't really know what to do and i'm quite shy so i don't really know how to go about it, esp as i hate phones!! Volunteering would look good on my UCAS Personal Statement CV and stuff but the only place to do that in my town is at the Help The Aged shop and i would probably look totally sad doing that. Oh and the people who work there are like 80. :/ But then i thought well nobody would actually see me coz nobody my age actually goes in there. But do you think it's really sad or a good thing? I mean, would you do it?? I don't wanna sound against old people btw! Another thing i could do which would be useful is get relevant work experience to do with geog (coz that's what i wanna do at uni) but i can't really think of anything to do apart from the Visitor Information Centre lol. Any suggestions??
Reply 1
Apply to the local university, for some volunteering for the local geological survey group.

Go for some part time jobs to say that you are supporting the family (it impresses the university no end)

Or help out some local primary schools. Getting them little children doing some school project on basic geographical things. Which you can make up and suprevise.
Reply 2
Im applying for geog in 2005, so for a geog-related work experience I now work at Chester Zoo, doing various tasks, but a very related area (eg. conservation). Geography is such a wide subject that there are loads of places where work experience would be relevant. You could work in help the aged and write on your PS, that it was because of your studies into demographic geography that you discovered the problem of the ageing population and wanted to help with this issue.
Reply 3
do what you want to do. if you dont want to work with old people, that's fine. but also, dont not do somethign because of what others will think. there's nothing sad about volunteering with old people.

you could do something like volunteering as a "teacher assistant" in lower school geography lessons.
adn like someone else mentioned, definitely conservation work is good.
Reply 4
There are many voluntary options
For instance connexions has many voluntary schemes to offer that after completion of these schemes you will recieve an award, be able to use it in all you CV's as the skills you will be putting into practice will be of great value..The award leads onto becoming a millenium volunteer...
Apart from that you could also take part in the Nuffield bursary project which is not voluntary work and more aimed at science and technology after the completion of this project you recieve a crest award and your work, if unique can even be passed onto other festivals and science awards..
You could voluntarily work in a local old people's home.
Or even Samaritans.... :biggrin:
Where in hampshire are you Siany?

If I can narrow down the area I'll do some digging.

Have you tried contacting English Nature, the National Trust or the Environment Agency - the first 2 definitly have volunteers.

Alternatively if you're near to a uni there might be a conservation volunteers society who would be happy to have you along (there's one here at Soton uni)
Reply 7
Working with the council or town planning are all very useful if its the social side of geography you are interested in.
Reply 8
As well as the National Trust - there is an organisation called BTCV which organises conservation work and holidays - dry stone walling, clearing scrubland, restoring wetlands. See www.bctv.org
Reply 9
A good webiste for volunteering opportunities is www.do-it.org.uk. Hope this is useful.

Latest

Trending

Trending