The Student Room Group

Can I study medicine without A Level Biology?

I am currently doing my AS Levels. I am studying Maths, Chemistry, English Literature and History. When I started college I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, the only thing I knew is that I wanted to make a difference and help people. But my grades have been good, and I have found that I am particularly enjoying the science subjects. I feel really drawn to medicine and feel like this might me the career for me. The thought of it really excites me and I love both the academic science aspect and the patient contact. I truly cannot think of any career more rewarding.

But everyone around me is telling me not to apply because I won't get in because of my lack of science subjects. I have good grades and got all As and A*s at GCSE (more than 65% A*s). Do I have a shot, or are they right? Will having (stupidly) not taken biology put me at a major disadvantage in the application process, and the course? I'm terrified of getting all rejections next year if I do apply. All advice/opinions will really be appreciated.
You will probably have some limitations becuase most ask for 3 sciences but since your doing chemistry u can still apply for a few. Best advise would be to take up as biology next year if u want to be less limited but apart from that you will be allright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You should definitely apply. However some medical schools are now requiring A Level Biology as well as A Level Chemistry, so it would be a smart idea to read the undergraduate entry requirements of everywhere you are thinking of applying. Then don't apply to anywhere that wants Biology.

Simples.
Reply 3
Google tsr medicine entry requirements or something like that and there's a page which will show you all the unis and whether they need bio

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I was at a medical symposium and even though biology isn't necessary most medical students found it the most helpful. Chemistry is needed as it is one of the hardest alevel and helps admissions tutors pick between candidates, even though biology might not be necessary for medicine it might be worthwhile doing it. Not only will it help with you understanding but also might also open more opportunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jmisteradams
I am currently doing my AS Levels. I am studying Maths, Chemistry, English Literature and History. When I started college I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, the only thing I knew is that I wanted to make a difference and help people. But my grades have been good, and I have found that I am particularly enjoying the science subjects. I feel really drawn to medicine and feel like this might me the career for me. The thought of it really excites me and I love both the academic science aspect and the patient contact. I truly cannot think of any career more rewarding.

But everyone around me is telling me not to apply because I won't get in because of my lack of science subjects. I have good grades and got all As and A*s at GCSE (more than 65% A*s). Do I have a shot, or are they right? Will having (stupidly) not taken biology put me at a major disadvantage in the application process, and the course? I'm terrified of getting all rejections next year if I do apply. All advice/opinions will really be appreciated.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_a_level_requirements

You will have a slight a problem. A few places require A level biology but generally they want Chemistry definitely and two other science subjects, you only have chemistry and maths so it could be problem.

Though there are plenty that are fine with Chemistry and maths :smile: Depends what grades you get.
I did Biology as an A2 during my upper sixth year at night school in a nearby college in the evenings.

Hard work but bloody worth it! Got AAAAB in total and now final year at UCL medical school.

Good luck!
Reply 7
IamDreaming
You will probably have some limitations becuase most ask for 3 sciences but since your doing chemistry u can still apply for a few. Best advise would be to take up as biology next year if u want to be less limited but apart from that you will be allright.

No they don't.

Original post by Munrot07
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_a_level_requirements

You will have a slight a problem. A few places require A level biology but generally they want Chemistry definitely and two other science subjects, you only have chemistry and maths so it could be problem.

Though there are plenty that are fine with Chemistry and maths :smile: Depends what grades you get.

How did you manage to supply the relevant link and then claim something that is refuted by it? Only one med school requires three sciences. One.

However the Chemistry and Maths thing would be a problem for those (numerous) schools that require Chemistry 'and one other lab-based science'. Doing AS Biology during Year 13 would open up a lot more med schools to the OP.
Reply 8
Original post by Ronove
No they don't.

How did you manage to supply the relevant link and then claim something that is refuted by it? Only one med school requires three sciences. One.

However the Chemistry and Maths thing would be a problem for those (numerous) schools that require Chemistry 'and one other lab-based science'. Doing AS Biology during Year 13 would open up a lot more med schools to the OP.

I will admit its not as many as I first though, I just know its always useful to have 3 (from other people experiences) while not necessary. However, a lot of them do say they want biology which is important.

Also i counted 2 :wink:
Reply 9
I will admit its not as many as I first though, I just know its always useful to have 3 (from other people experiences) while not necessary. However, a lot of them do say they want biology which is important.

Also i counted 2 :wink:

What were the two?
Reply 10
Original post by Jmisteradams

Is it possible at your school/college to take up AS Biology next year during A2? I mean it will definitely open up your choices quite considerably for applying to medical schools; but aside from that, I found that A-Level Biology has been infinitely more useful to me as a med student than Maths and Chemistry put together!
Reply 11
Original post by Ronove
What were the two?

Cambridge and imperial :smile:
Reply 12
Cambridge and imperial :smile:

Imperial does not require 3 Maths/Science subjects at A2.
Reply 13
Original post by Ronove
Imperial does not require 3 Maths/Science subjects at A2.

Never said A2, said A level, and Imperial clearly states:

Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level (B at AS-level if one is dropped), plus one other science/maths subject.

This person only has 2 science/maths subject. Yes, it said and/or but definitely they prefer the and option.
Reply 14
Never said A2, said A level, and Imperial clearly states:

Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level (B at AS-level if one is dropped), plus one other science/maths subject.

This person only has 2 science/maths subject. Yes, it said and/or but definitely they prefer the and option.

A-level means A2. If this is news to you then there's not much I can say.

If you concluded that Imperial 'definitely prefer the and option' from that page then you either have some kind of magical power or you're exhibiting confirmation bias.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending