The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You lot should see how they drive on the motorway in African countries. Every lane is the fast lane and if you are constantly on the horn.
In the cities omfg I feel like I am going to die when ever there is a turning because they drive solo recklessly.
They make London driving seem so calm and peaceful lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i see our shredded vegatable based contributor has admitted defeat ...
Original post by zippyRN

He had pretty rubbish reasons to middle lane hog tbh. He didn't really have much of a case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN

Nonsense, seeing as you had resorted to personal insults and repeating delusional claims of divine authority, I didn't see much point in continuing to explain why you were wrong, when you clearly weren't listening. You quoted the RTA, and it proved my case to be correct, and as far as I am concerned that closed the matter.

and don't talk about me behind my back, that's cowardly and pathetic.
Original post by cole-slaw
Nonsense, seeing as you had resorted to personal insults and repeating delusional claims of divine authority, I didn't see much point in continuing to explain why you were wrong, when you clearly weren't listening. You quoted the RTA, and it proved my case to be correct, and as far as I am concerned that closed the matter.

and don't talk about me behind my back, that's cowardly and pathetic.

1. your interpetation of the road traffic act in NOT supported by the highway code or any driving text I am aware of .

2. there are no other posters in this thread supporting your erroneous interpretation .

3. you are the one who has been making personal insults - calling someone 'mental' is an insult , making an observation that someone is arrogant and either either 'peering through the wrong pane of the johari window' or is unconciously incompetent is an observation - the Johari window comment is a jocular one and those who are not aware of what unconciously incompetent means in relation to skills development are just showing (again) how little they actually know , both in relation to the skill in question and to the processes of teaching and learning

4. talking aobut you behind your back ? in an open post to thread one assumes you are follwing ? pull the otherone - that really is a the sign of someone who is immature and has an overwhelingly inflated opinion of their self worth.

5. No claims of 'divine authority' have been made - reference has been made to the law, the Highwaty code, guidance issued to the Police and to tests used by driver trainers - we are considering a 'point of practise' here - and such things will apply - this is not a theoretical discussion to be won by the application of a contrived set of rules ... (as is the case of 'debating' )
Original post by zippyRN
if there is debris in lane 1 or on the shoulder close the edge of lane 1 you have a reasonable excuse for your none compliance. I would not rely on the fear of debris in lane 1 as an excuse and it may in fact be interpreted as reason for further inquiry into your inability to observe to the standard expected of the prudent , ordinarily skilled Motorist.
Ultimately, if I think it is unsafe to drive in lane 1 then I think it is unsafe, and it is my right as a motorist to look after my own safety.

You can argue all day about whether that assessment was correct or not, the bottom line is that if a motorist is avoiding a lane because he deems it unsafe, then he is not in infraction of failing to drive with due care and attention. If anything he is driving with too much care and attention!

There is no law against driving in lane 2 on an empty motorway. The wording of DWDCA makes it explicitly clear that it does not apply.

I answered you here, you did not reply.

The reason you did not reply is because you realised I was correct and you didn't have the integrity to admit as much, but preferred to carry on waxing lyrical about how incredibly clever you are.
Original post by zippyRN
1. your interpetation of the road traffic act in NOT supported by the highway code or any driving text I am aware of .

2. there are no other posters in this thread supporting your erroneous interpretation .

3. you are the one who has been making personal insults - calling someone 'mental' is an insult , making an observation that someone is arrogant and either either 'peering through the wrong pane of the johari window' or is unconciously incompetent is an observation - the Johari window comment is a jocular one and those who are not aware of what unconciously incompetent means in relation to skills development are just showing (again) how little they actually know , both in relation to the skill in question and to the processes of teaching and learning

4. talking aobut you behind your back ? in an open post to thread one assumes you are follwing ? pull the otherone - that really is a the sign of someone who is immature and has an overwhelingly inflated opinion of their self worth.

5. No claims of 'divine authority' have been made - reference has been made to the law, the Highwaty code, guidance issued to the Police and to tests used by driver trainers - we are considering a 'point of practise' here - and such things will apply - this is not a theoretical discussion to be won by the application of a contrived set of rules ... (as is the case of 'debating' )

And that's what we call a 'full house'!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do drivers find it so difficult to drive on motorways?It quite simple, you stick to the left lane unless you are overtaking. Overtaking means that you accelerate past another vehicle at a reasonable speed not 0.01 mph more than the guy on the left. Don't just sit next to the guy in the left lane doing the same speed. Oh and if you see someone coming up behind you at speed - you should not be in the way if the left lane is empty.Its quite simple really, unfortunately a lot of the drivers on our roads are stupid or don't give a toss about other drivers!!!
Original post by dannyboy79
Why do drivers find it so difficult to drive on motorways?It quite simple, you stick to the left lane unless you are overtaking. Overtaking means that you accelerate past another vehicle at a reasonable speed not 0.01 mph more than the guy on the left. Don't just sit next to the guy in the left lane doing the same speed. Oh and if you see someone coming up behind you at speed - you should not be in the way if the left lane is empty.Its quite simple really, unfortunately a lot of the drivers on our roads are stupid or don't give a toss about other drivers!!!

People are not trained to drive on m-ways in their driving lessons.

Most drivers have relatively low skills, so it's no surprise these come into play on such roads.

A lot of people drive emotionally, with false mental models of the driving situation. For example, some drivers will see themselves as road cops, deliberately trying to slow other drivers behind them. Others see themselves as road warriors, deliberately thwarting others - this explains the very common behaviour of lurching into an outer lane at the moment an oncoming vehicle is passing outside, when they could have waited a few seconds to overtake. Still others are comatose, drifting along in a state of semi-sleep. All human life is there.
Just don't drive over the speed limits and stay alert at all times.
UK motorways are amongst the safest in the world.

If the motorway is empty then sometimes people prefer to drive down the middle lane for safety reasons because there is less chance of potholes/debris or a car suddenly pulling out in front of them from an obscured slip road. This is perfectly legal as long as they're not obstructing anyone.

Cole, listen to yourself mate, you sound ridiculous! Hogging the middle lane is actually illegal you should always KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING!!! YOU ARE THE TRAFFIC CREATORS OF BRITAIN, but I'm pretty sure that you cannot comprehend that my friend!

Latest

Trending

Trending