The Student Room Group

Should I study architecture in uni?

Hi, I'm a senior at my highschool and I still haven't decided on what to choose to study in university, can someone maybe give me a general insight on architecture? I really like the sounds of it and it's the one field I'm leaning towards greatly. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Nourm131
Hi, I'm a senior at my highschool and I still haven't decided on what to choose to study in university, can someone maybe give me a general insight on architecture? I really like the sounds of it and it's the one field I'm leaning towards greatly. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

Architecture is a very complicated course - and long. Basically you'll spend most of your time in the studio trying to start/do/finish your project, and your sleeping pattern will start to change (if you ever sleep), and you'll find yourself tired 24hrs. (Ha ha)

But I cannot deny how rewarding it is. The results are tangible, and the idea that what you are designing can actually influence someone's life becomes a real drive. You'll get taught on various design theories, but never on how to design; on construction details, but never on how to make models. This is a course that really encourage you to explore, and learn from each other.

Generally, the course is structured in a way that Design Studio forms the major component, whereby all the other subjects that you learn : Built Environment, Structures, Construction, History, Management Law etc are very applicable to your projects.

I would say that without some degree of genuine passion and commitment, you will find it extremely difficult. If you are the kind of person who would go the extra mile or spend the extra hour to actually 'do your best', then you'll find it very rewarding.
Reply 2
I would advise doing some work experience. You should try to aim for local/ smaller firms because they actually make you do architecture related work compared to just doing paperwork.
My architecture work experience was really great because I got to travel to sites, spend time with the head architect and also talk to the surveyors that worked at the firm. Also you can ask as many questions as you like.
My work experience helped to see the plus points and bad points about going into this field. I was always keen on the idea of architecture and now I am pretty sure it's what I want to do at uni. I start uni this september.
Even if u do get a degree in architecture u can still branch out into other fields.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you very much!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending