The Student Room Group

Law applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomfailinghelp
Anybody else petrified for the LNAT?

I wanted King's as a back-up if Cambridge reject me but I'm so bad at the LNAT :-( I started off getting 24/42 but now I've fallen to about 16/42 and I don't even know why!!

Anyone know where I can buy practice papers?

Hi!! Me too - I get like an average of 20 this is worrying me
Original post by S_Han
Although there is no 'official' cut off, you should aim to get at least the average score for that year (as a minimum). That's not to say if you don't meet the average you won't be considered - every aspect of your application combined will be reviewed, it just makes your application stronger.
The best advice I could give you is to find out more about 'Launch into Law' (fb them: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Launch-into-Law/1463152597268703) - it's an event where students who secured places at top universities (e.g Durham, Oxford, UCL) have joined together to give you all the know-how you need to form a successful application. For the LNAT section, I know one of the students speaking is an undergraduate at Durham and scored a 30.

I hope that helps :smile:

thank you so much for the info xx my school doesn't have much students applying to Law so i really did not know where to get help from. thanks again!!
Reply 182
Original post by fursey
Providing that your PREDICTED grades are AAB+ then I reckon you have a good chance. Quite honestly, 2 marks off an A is still a B, universities cannot see that, so it will depend on your predictions :smile:. Well done for your grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
I think you will be fine. I got AAAB and a friend of mine got AABC we both got offers from Bristol and Durham. You will need an A*AA prediction for Durham. Bristol state that they give 25% weight to the Lnat. My advice would be to do lots of papers and get your score up. I improved mine from 24 to 31.
Good luck
Original post by mrsmumford
Wow, very interesting. These are one of the best universities in Scotland. My grades are unfortunately not good enough for universities like Edingburgh. But its sooo cool to talk with a real scottish Boy :biggrin:

It's always worth a shot ;D Haha:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What book would people recommend for LNAT practise?

Danke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
It's always worth a shot ;D Haha:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. You are right. Glasgow or Edingburgh would be a big dream. :smile:
Yeah. You are right. Glasgow or Edingburgh would be a big dream. :smile:

I visited Glasgow University Open Day in June and it was amazing! I loved it! Going to Edinburgh Open Day in a few weeks time. Going to Aberdeen University Open Day tomorrow - I can't wait; although, it's 185 miles in the car and 185 miles back from where I am! Leaving at 06:20am haha... 😨😨

Posted from TSR Mobile
I visited Glasgow University Open Day in June and it was amazing! I loved it! Going to Edinburgh Open Day in a few weeks time. Going to Aberdeen University Open Day tomorrow - I can't wait; although, it's 185 miles in the car and 185 miles back from where I am! Leaving at 06:20am haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW. Sounds amazing. I whish I could go to the open days, but its really difficult, because I´m living in Berlin :biggrin: Where are you living in Scotland ? I also apply for Aberdeen. I´m hoping it´s cool there. :biggrin:
Hi everyone. I am currently a student going into my fourth year at the University of Toronto, studying European Studies and History. I'm still not exactly sure which schools I want to put down on my application, but the ones that I've been leaning towards the most so far are:

University of Nottingham
University of Manchester
University of Bristol
University of Leicester
Queen Mary

All would be for a 3 year LLB. Are these good choices for my marks? In high school I scored an 85% in grade 12 and I believe I'll finish Uni with around a 3.0 - 3.15. Beside marks I've held a part time job since grade 11 and have done a few articles in academic journals.
WOW. Sounds amazing. I whish I could go to the open days, but its really difficult, because I´m living in Berlin :biggrin: Where are you living in Scotland ? I also apply for Aberdeen. I´m hoping it´s cool there. :biggrin:

Aw cool! I studied German last year at Higher (basically IB/Alevel)!

I live in the Scottish Borders, 52 miles from Edinburgh, 185 miles from Aberdeen and 101 miles from Glasgow :tongue: 50 miles from Newcastle!

IMO I never really "connected" with Aberdeen, the city was not what I'm familiar with - I prefer/know Edinburgh better, Glasgow I like! However for someone who wants the Scottish Cultural aspect of coming to Uni it'll be ideal for you! The uni was nice, the green in particular & the city was rather peaceful.

I reckon I'll apply still, too, if I can't think of anywhere else to apply - considering Stirling maybe; or Newcastle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw cool! I studied German last year at Higher (basically IB/Alevel)!

I live in the Scottish Borders, 52 miles from Edinburgh, 185 miles from Aberdeen and 101 miles from Glasgow :tongue: 50 miles from Newcastle!

IMO I never really "connected" with Aberdeen, the city was not what I'm familiar with - I prefer/know Edinburgh better, Glasgow I like! However for someone who wants the Scottish Cultural aspect of coming to Uni it'll be ideal for you! The uni was nice, the green in particular & the city was rather peaceful.

I reckon I'll apply still, too, if I can't think of anywhere else to apply - considering Stirling maybe; or Newcastle!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very cool. German is really really difficult, sometimes even for me. :biggrin:

Yeah, I´m not quite sure to apply for Aberdeen, because I really want to go to Glasgow or Edingburgh. Thank you for these amazing insider clue :wink:. Now I´m really sure, where I want to go haha!

Yeah Stirling should be amazing. I also have to apply for universities with not the best reputation like West of Scotland, but it´s also in the near of Glasgow , so it´s perfect. :smile:
Very cool. German is really really difficult, sometimes even for me. :biggrin:

Yeah, I´m not quite sure to apply for Aberdeen, because I really want to go to Glasgow or Edingburgh. Thank you for these amazing insider clue :wink:. Now I´m really sure, where I want to go haha!

Yeah Stirling should be amazing. I also have to apply for universities with not the best reputation like West of Scotland, but it´s also in the near of Glasgow , so it´s perfect. :smile:

Yeah :smile: it certainly is! That was my downfall in my Highers as it was my B in my AAAAB, but v happy and was under 5% away from A! Only two As in my entire school for that exam! Yeah I loved Glasgow when I visited, even the surrounding made it amazing! Edinburgh is a brilliant city and I can't wait to see the Uni! Yeah, being close to a big city will be fantastic! Dundee have pretty decent entry requirements if you wanted somewhere quite prestige; yet reasonable to attend!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah :smile: it certainly is! That was my downfall in my Highers as it was my B in my AAAAB, but v happy and was under 5% away from A! Only two As in my entire school for that exam! Yeah I loved Glasgow when I visited, even the surrounding made it amazing! Edinburgh is a brilliant city and I can't wait to see the Uni! Yeah, being close to a big city will be fantastic! Dundee have pretty decent entry requirements if you wanted somewhere quite prestige; yet reasonable to attend!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no haha. Like I said German is sometimes so annoying. English sounds so much better, especially in GB :wink:

I'm sooo excited to discover the Scottish culture and the people there.

Oh okay. I'm thinking about Dundee, sounds also very interesting as an alternative to Glasgow.

Do you know, which open days are not already over ?

Thank you (:
Oh no haha. Like I said German is sometimes so annoying. English sounds so much better, especially in GB :wink:

I'm sooo excited to discover the Scottish culture and the people there.

Oh okay. I'm thinking about Dundee, sounds also very interesting as an alternative to Glasgow.

Do you know, which open days are not already over ?

Thank you (:

Some I know are:

Mon 1st Sept - Ed or Sat 27th Sept

Wed 3rd Sept - GGow or 25th Oct

Tue 2nd Sept - Strath or 11 Oct

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm an international applicant (India) and I'm applying to Oxford, UCL and LSE. My GCSE equivalent isn't graded. Instead we get percentages. I got an overall percentage of 92.33 and my individual marks were:<br><br>&nbsp;<span style="font-size: 13px;">English-92 [Average of two separate English Language and Literature paper],<br> Hindi-92,<br> Maths-94, <br>HCG- 94 (History &amp; Civics-B, Geography A, which means that I have either scored 89 in History and 99 in Geography OR 88 in History and 100 in Geography),<br> Home Science 96 and <br>Science-86 (Physics-B, Chemistry-B, Biology-A] <br><br>And my teacher has made the following prediction regarding the marks I will achieve in grade 12:</span><div>Geography-99 %</div><div>English-97 %</div><div>Psychology-97 %</div><div>Mass Media-96 %</div><div>Economics-93 %</div><div>Overall Percentage- 96.4 %</div><div>&nbsp;Apart from this, I have done an internship under a lawyer who is an Oxford alum. I also enrolled myself for a two week summer course held at Oxford university. I have participated in many debates, MUNs, Elocutions, Essay writing competitions and Quizzes. I participated in the International English Olympiad and came 1st in my country with an overall percentage of 99.80 internationally. I have also enrolled myself for a two year law course outside of school for two years ( I enrolled last year)<br>I've done quite a bit of reading around Law, both fiction as well as non-fiction. I was captain of my house in 10th grade and was nominated for head girl in grade 12. I watched a murder trial at the Old Bailey and also visited the Supreme Court in London. Apart from this I've visited my own local district court a few times. I've mentioned most of these things in my PS. I got one of my LNAT esays graded by an Oxford phd student who also is involved with admissions and she gave me a 19/20 but I don't reallly get more than 23-24 in my LNAT MCQ. SO realistically speaking what do you think are my chances at Oxford/LSE/UCL? Also, I'll be really greatful for whatever other help anyne can provide me. Thanks a ton and sorry for whoever actually read this really long post :P&nbsp;<br><br>Cheers!<br><br><br></div>
Sorry about whatever that is. I'm reposting to make it easier to read.

[INDENT]Hi! I'm an international applicant (India) and I'm applying to Oxford, UCL and LSE. My GCSE equivalent isn't graded. Instead we get percentages. I got an overall percentage of 92.33 and my individual marks were: [English-92 [Average of two separate English Language and Literature paper], Hindi-92, Maths-94, HCG- 94 (History &Civics-B, Geography A, which means that I have either scored 89 in History and 99 in Geography OR 88 in History and 100 in Geography), Home Science 96 and Science-86 (Physics-B, Chemistry-B, Biology-A] And my teacher has made the following prediction regarding the marks I will achieve in grade 12:Geography-99%, English-97 %, Psychology-97 %, Mass Media-96 %, Economics-93 % Overall Percentage- 96.4 %;Apart from this, I have done an internship under a lawyer who is an Oxford alum. I also enrolled myself for a two week summer course held at Oxford university. I have participated in many debates, MUNs, Elocutions, Essay writing competitions and Quizzes. I participated in the International English Olympiad and came 1st in my country with an overall percentage of 99.80 internationally. I have also enrolled myself for a two year law course outside of school for two years ( I enrolled last year) I've done quite a bit of reading around Law, both fiction as well as non-fiction. I was captain of my house in 10th grade and was nominated for head girl in grade 12. I watched a murder trial at the Old Bailey and also visited the Supreme Court in London. Apart from this I've visited my own local district court a few times. I've mentioned most of these things in my PS. I got one of my LNAT esays graded by an Oxford phd student who also is involved with admissions and she gave me a 19/20 but I don't reallly get more than 23-24 in my LNAT MCQ. SO realistically speaking what do you think are my chances at Oxford/LSE/UCL? Also, I'll be really greatful for whatever other help anyne can provide me. Thanks a ton and sorry for whoever actually read this really long post :P

Cheers!

Original post by AakankshaS
Sorry about whatever that is. I'm reposting to make it easier to read.

[INDENT]Hi! I'm an international applicant (India) and I'm applying to Oxford, UCL and LSE. My GCSE equivalent isn't graded. Instead we get percentages. I got an overall percentage of 92.33 and my individual marks were: [English-92 [Average of two separate English Language and Literature paper], Hindi-92, Maths-94, HCG- 94 (History &Civics-B, Geography A, which means that I have either scored 89 in History and 99 in Geography OR 88 in History and 100 in Geography), Home Science 96 and Science-86 (Physics-B, Chemistry-B, Biology-A] And my teacher has made the following prediction regarding the marks I will achieve in grade 12:Geography-99%, English-97 %, Psychology-97 %, Mass Media-96 %, Economics-93 % Overall Percentage- 96.4 %;Apart from this, I have done an internship under a lawyer who is an Oxford alum. I also enrolled myself for a two week summer course held at Oxford university. I have participated in many debates, MUNs, Elocutions, Essay writing competitions and Quizzes. I participated in the International English Olympiad and came 1st in my country with an overall percentage of 99.80 internationally. I have also enrolled myself for a two year law course outside of school for two years ( I enrolled last year) I've done quite a bit of reading around Law, both fiction as well as non-fiction. I was captain of my house in 10th grade and was nominated for head girl in grade 12. I watched a murder trial at the Old Bailey and also visited the Supreme Court in London. Apart from this I've visited my own local district court a few times. I've mentioned most of these things in my PS. I got one of my LNAT esays graded by an Oxford phd student who also is involved with admissions and she gave me a 19/20 but I don't reallly get more than 23-24 in my LNAT MCQ. SO realistically speaking what do you think are my chances at Oxford/LSE/UCL? Also, I'll be really greatful for whatever other help anyne can provide me. Thanks a ton and sorry for whoever actually read this really long post :P

Cheers!

1) LNAT essays aren't give a score
2) UCL typically wants a minimum of 20 on your LNAT
3) UCL places far more importance on the essay compared to the multiple choice portion of the LNAT (a lot of the applicants this year were rejected on the basis of their weak LNAT essay)
4) LSE doesn't require the LNAT
Original post by iamyourmum
3) UCL places far more importance on the essay compared to the multiple choice portion of the LNAT (a lot of the applicants this year were rejected on the basis of their weak LNAT essay)

Oxford scores the LNAT essays internally :smile:
Original post by iamyourmum

As ChoccyWoccy said, Oxford does score the LNAT but internally. Details here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lnat_essay_scoring_information#incoming-555662
Anyone know any law courses which offer years abroad to US/NZ/AUS, and also how competitive the places for these years abroad are? Have looked at Nottingham's but they don't refer to the amount of places available which leads me to believe they are probably quite low in number. Cheers
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending