The Student Room Group

Law applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
I personally think that your subjects are fine. Don't forget that Economics is considered an Arts & Humanities subject, which means you've got a mixed combination. Since all your subjects are respected, you will be treated in the same light as a candidate who takes, say, English Literature, History & Mathematics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the Economics essay paper I achieved a 'B', but I am a lot better than a 'B' would suggest. How severely will this work against me as that paper is my only essay paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edd Rochford
Personally, I think you're allocating a bit too much time to planning and checking. It's only about 500 words so shouldn't require too much checking, and the topics don't require a great deal of planning. Take the short time limit as a positive - they are not expecting an amazing essay, just evidence that you can write an argument! And to spot typos better, read backwards so that you can check every word rather than skimming over them.

Thanks for the advice but I sat my LNAT earlier today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
In the Economics essay paper I achieved a 'B', but I am a lot better than a 'B' would suggest. How severely will this work against me as that paper is my only essay paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Won't matter at all since your overall was an A. Which board did you take for Economics?
Bear in mind that economics as a whole is considered an essay subject (not just a module of it).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Won't matter at all since your overall was an A. Which board did you take for Economics?
Bear in mind that economics as a while is considered an essay subject (not just a module of it).

Posted from TSR Mobile

CIE. They will see that one paper is the essay paper and one paper is a multjple choice paper though so they will know that I got a 'B' in the essay paper. As my other subjects are sciences, wont they think 'this applicant is not the best at essays/?

Posted from TSR Mobile
CIE. They will see that one paper is the essay paper and one paper is a multjple choice paper though so they will know that I got a 'B' in the essay paper. As my other subjects are sciences, wont they think 'this applicant is not the best at essays/?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry mate. I understand what you mean (and worry about), but they won't. They'll consider the AS as a whole rather than the modules (only maths degrees would ask specific module).

By the way, how did you find the multiple-choice paper? I mean, would you say it's easier or more difficult than the essay paper (ignoring your grade)?
Original post by maarg13
Hi, I've got my LNAT in a couple of weeks! When you are doing the essay do you get paper or a whiteboard to plan on or something? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They usually provide an annoyingly small whiteboard and earplugs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry mate. I understand what you mean (and worry about), but they won't. They'll consider the AS as a whole rather than the modules (only maths degrees would ask specific module).

By the way, how did you find the multiple-choice paper? I mean, would you say it's easier or more difficult than the essay paper (ignoring your grade)?

Virtually everyone in my school finds multiple chioce harder but I find it about the same in terms of difficulty. It requires a lot of application of knowledge which is why some people struggle? Only maths degrees ask for specific modules but my module grades will be submitted so they will still see them.

Sorry for questioning you soooooooooo much. Lol. I am paranoid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is going to sound a bit silly but the part where it says to put your name 'EXACTLY' as it appears on Passport/driving licence and emphasises this when booking the lnat - my passport name is in all caps but I wrote my name in the standard way, i.e. one capital letter beginning each name, is that okay? Otherwise you would be turned away???
Virtually everyone in my school finds multiple chioce harder but I find it about the same in terms of difficulty. It requires a lot of application of knowledge which is why some people struggle? Only maths degrees ask for specific modules but my module grades will be submitted so they will still see them.

Sorry for questioning you soooooooooo much. Lol. I am paranoid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no worries! Just don't fear that doing badly in the second paper, as it's the grade as a whole that matters. Despite, even if you only took science subjects, you'd still be equally desirable!

Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha no worries! Just don't fear that Bad in the second paper, as it's the grade as a whole that matters. Despite, even if you only took science subjects, you'd still be equally desirable!

Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE say they look for ability to write critically though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I achieved an A* in Maths A Level and AAA in AS Physics,Economics and Chemistry. I am predicted A*A*A. I got 6A*s and 2 As in my ICGSEs.

Do I have a reasonable chance or will I be rejected due to my subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will never be rejected out of hand for your subject choice, unless the university in question states clearly in their entry requirements that you must do a certain subject. In other words, thoroughly check the course listing for each university to which you're applying and make sure that you match all of their prerequisites. These kinds of requirements are unusual for law but it's worth double and triple checking.

Beyond that, it's up to you to convince the admissions tutors that you're cut out for a very essay-heavy course. Make sure that your personal statement is grammatically flawless, and try to include lots of examples that demonstrate your written ability (e.g. writing for a school newspaper, starting a legal blog, doing an EPQ).

Ultimately, though, don't worry too much - doing primarily science A-Levels can actually set you apart in many ways and likely points towards you having a very good grasp of logic and reasoning - traits which are just as important as literacy when it comes to a law degree. I know a number of people who studied the 3 sciences and Maths at A-Level who are now reading law at Oxford, Cambridge and LSE, so it's not unheard of at all. Follow the above and you should be fine.

Good luck!

EDIT: In addition, and as Stefan has rightly said, performing well in Economics will definitely work in your favour as it is seen as an essay-based Humanities subject by most universities.
(edited 9 years ago)
They usually provide an annoyingly small whiteboard and earplugs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I take it they provide a whiteboard pen as well then and you don't need to take your own?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maarg13
Thanks. I take it they provide a whiteboard pen as well then and you don't need to take your own?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they do (but bear in mind that this may be different from centre to centre). You should ask your centre just to be sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kidioteque
You will never be rejected out of hand for your subject choice, unless the university in question states clearly in their entry requirements that you must do a certain subject. In other words, thoroughly check the course listing for each university to which you're applying and make sure that you match all of their prerequisites. These kinds of requirements are unusual for law but it's worth double and triple checking.

Beyond that, it's up to you to convince the admissions tutors that you're cut out for a very essay-heavy course. Make sure that your personal statement is grammatically flawless, and try to include lots of examples that demonstrate your written ability (e.g. writing for a school newspaper, starting a legal blog, doing an EPQ).

Ultimately, though, don't worry too much - doing primarily science A-Levels can actually set you apart in many ways and likely points towards you having a very good grasp of logic and reasoning - traits which are just as important as literacy when it comes to a law degree. I know a number of people who studied the 3 sciences and Maths at A-Level who are now reading law at Oxford, Cambridge and LSE, so it's not unheard of at all. Follow the above and you should be fine.

Good luck!

EDIT: In addition, and as Stefan has rightly said, performing well in Economics will definitely work in your favour as it is seen as an essay-based Humanities subject by most universities.

Buf I did not perform well in the Economics essay paper. This is my main concern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Buf I did not perform well in the Economics essay paper. This is my main concern.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait... do you actually mean you're afraid about how universities will consider this or of your ability to write essays?

If it's the former do not worry at all. Even without Econ at all, you'd still be considered equally.
Original post by Kidioteque
--

Hey, I probably miss-quoted before (due to using my phone).

I am really interested in seeing; a) Why did you choose law in the end? and b) Do you regret making this choice? Does it live up to your standards?

Thanks,
Hey, I'm applying to do Law this year too. So far my 5 unis are

Cambridge
Durham
LSE
Exexter (insurance)
Bristol

I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, and I'm predicted 3 A*s at A2, and an A* in my EPQ. Anyone have any ideas what type of questions you get asked at Oxbridge law interviews?
Wait... do you actually mean you're afraid about how universities will consider this or of your ability to write essays?

If it's the former do not worry at all. Even without Econ at all, you'd still be considered equally.

Sorry for not being clear. I am worried that UNIs will think that I am weak at essays. I know, or at least think, that I am reasonably good at essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for not being clear. I am worried that UNIs will think that I am weak at essays. I know, or at least think, that I am reasonably good at essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am quoting part of an email which Warwick's Law admissions tutor sent to me a few months ago. I know that you may not be interested in the uni itself, but this is universal; In a nutshell, they love science subjects and believe they're just as valuable as essay ones. Do not worry at all!

''Analytical skills learnt in science based subjects are as valuable as those learnt in discussion based subjects such as English or History. We would much rather you chose subjects you enjoy doing, rather than forcing you to do prescribed subjects. In particular, do not be put off doing science or mathematics. Some of the best lawyers have scientific backgrounds.''

​In a nutshell, they love science subjects and believe they're just as valuable as essay ones. Do not worry at all!
Questions about the LNAT;
1. People who've sat it, is timing really tough?
2. Are the essay questions every year the same for everyone no matter when they sat it during the year cycle?
3. There is no automatic spell check for the essay right?
4. Do you get scrap paper to plan a answer to the essay?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending