The Student Room Group

Poorer people hate immigration. Discuss.

http://www.natcen.ac.uk/media/205573/immigration-bsa31.pdf

Cliffs:

56% say that immigration should be reduced a lot
21% say that immigration should be reduced a little
The Daily Mail has done it's nasty job

On this question, 57% of degree holders said that immigration should be reduced a lot
Compare this to

GCSE level or no qualifications people 85%.

Why does have having a degree have such an impact on views? Discuss

Indeed, there's not too much variation in this question re: household incomes or job description

Conservatives hold the most conservative views on this, unsurprisingly.
86% want immigration reduced a lot, compared to 71% of Labourites.

----------------------------------

Impact on the economy

47% said it's bad
20% said neither
31% said good

Again, degree holders hold more liberal views.
60% said immigration has good impacts on the economy
As opposed to 17% for GCSE holders, or no qualification holders.

It is interesting to note that for this question, that household incomes did affect the variance of data.
The highest quartile of earners - 48% of them said it's good.
Compare that to Q1 (lowest) and Q2 (second lowest) 23% and 24% of them respectively.

Why do you think this is the case? I suggest that higher earners are more educated by holding a degree..
------------------------------------------

Cultural impact
45% said it has undermined Britain's cultural life
This is, in my opinion, staggering. top lel, what culture?
19% said neither
31% said it has enriched it

65% of degree holders say it has enriched our culture
Compare that to GCSE and no qualification holders - 19% and 17% respectively....

Indeed, the lower the income, the lower the percentage of people expressed a view that said migrants have enriched our culture. That is to be expected.

Discuss everything
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

We always have to have something or someone to blame societies problems/failings on, we seem to have moved away from the bankers and it's now all the fault of these horrible, nasty benefit and job stealing immigrants.

Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
http://www.natcen.ac.uk/media/205573/immigration-bsa31.pdf

Cliffs:

56% say that immigration should be reduced a lot
21% say that immigration should be reduced a little
The Daily Mail has done it's nasty job

On this question, 57% of degree holders said that immigration should be reduced a lot
Compare this to

GCSE level or no qualifications people 85%.

Why does have having a degree have such an impact on views? Discuss

Indeed, there's not too much variation in this question re: household incomes or job description

Conservatives hold the most conservative views on this, unsurprisingly.
86% want immigration reduced a lot, compared to 71% of Labourites.

----------------------------------

Impact on the economy

47% said it's bad
20% said neither
31% said good

Again, degree holders hold more liberal views.
60% said immigration has good impacts on the economy
As opposed to 17% for GCSE holders, or no qualification holders.

It is interesting to note that for this question, that household incomes did affect the variance of data.
The highest quartile of earners - 48% of them said it's good.
Compare that to Q1 (lowest) and Q2 (second lowest) 23% and 24% of them respectively.

Why do you think this is the case? I suggest that higher earners are more educated by holding a degree..
------------------------------------------

Cultural impact
45% said it has undermined Britain's cultural life
This is, in my opinion, staggering. top lel, what culture?
19% said neither
31% said it has enriched it

65% of degree holders say it has enriched our culture
Compare that to GCSE and no qualification holders - 19% and 17% respectively....

Indeed, the lower the income, the lower the percentage of people expressed a view that said migrants have enriched our culture. That is to be expected.

Discuss everything

Well it is usually the poorer people aka the less educated that have to live in poorer areas among immigrants and compete with them for jobs. If you are middle class and educated the immigrants you meet are more likely to be highly skilled or wealthy students.
Makes perfect sense. If you're well-qualified, the threat of cheap labour coming and undermining you isn't as large a problem. It's not like there's a massive number of Romanian engineers and lawyers coming here to, as it were, "take our jobs". That's why the BNP and EDL are comprised almost solely of working-class people.

I think, pragmatically, even those whose job isn't threatened by immigration want it curbed. We are after all, a small island with limited resources.
Reply 4
Original post by crayz
Well it is usually the poorer people aka the less educated that have to live in poorer areas among immigrants and compete with them for jobs. If you are middle class and educated the immigrants you meet are more likely to be highly skilled or wealthy students.

Exactly. Mass immigration hurts the working class as they have to compete with the influx in cheap labour.

If we lived in a truly free market economy is would be fine, but we don't. We have a welfare state and public services and of course a minimum wage.

The cultural aspect is laughable too. I hate all these cosmopolitan lefties who think cultural diversity is inherently good. I am not necessary for or against it, but you do have to realise multiculturalism has caused much social division. Things like Sharia law courts becoming recognised in Britain is certainly not a good thing.

The only logical arguments in favour of completely open borders are a true free market state based one and a non economic humanistic one.

In the currently situation today we should reduce immigration (not eliminate it outright). People who criticise those against mass immigration really don't argue why they think it is a good idea.
Poor people live in poor areas. Inhabit poor jobs. Immigrants are poor. Immigrants take their jobs. Take their poor role in society. They need to be poorer than the poor immigrants. They're fighting to be the poorest. Srs.
Getting people to hate eachother is a good way to get them to ignore their real problems.
Reply 7
I don't think we should hate poor people for this, it's the far-right rich (like those at the daily mail and Nigel Farage) that manipulate the poor into it. UKIP is clearly using people who are worst hit by the recession to get their votes, and scarily, it's working.

I don't think we should blame poorer people, they normally have extremely difficult lives and therefore buy into the promises of UKIP and what not more easily.
Reply 8
Original post by The Socktor
Getting people to hate eachother is a good way to get them to ignore their real problems.

This is probably the best thing I've read on the TSR so far.
Reply 9
Original post by OrlaCarmel
I don't think we should hate poor people for this, it's the far-right rich (like those at the daily mail and Nigel Farage) that manipulate the poor into it. UKIP is clearly using people who are worst hit by the recession to get their votes, and scarily, it's working.

I don't think we should blame poorer people, they normally have extremely difficult lives and therefore buy into the promises of UKIP and what not more easily.

You just said a lot without saying anything at all. Firstly, Farage isn't far-right at all, he wants a reformed Europe not a 19th century Europe.

Why is it scary that UKIP are gaining votes, what's scary about it?

"We shouldn't blame poor people" actually as you get older you will realise people of all classes have a good idea about what they believe in politically and this is gained mostly from life experience rather than oddball lecturers and ****ty newspapers like the Guardian. Do not patronise the poor and claim because they are poor and uneducated they're duped into voting UKIP.
Reply 10
Original post by DaveSmith99
We always have to have something or someone to blame societies problems/failings on, we seem to have moved away from the bankers and it's now all the fault of these horrible, nasty benefit and job stealing immigrants.
]

I'm guessing you are 15/16 years old, you can be forgiven. Problems with immigration have been ongoing for around 15 years now. The bankers were only partly to blame for the recession and got far more stick than they deserved, but nobody ever went from blaming bankers to immigrants that's just a distorted view of the century so far!
Reply 11
Nationalism is associated with working class people. Whether it's soldiers thinking they're fighting "for their country" or outrage at immigrants and the effects on job competition.

I don't think it's their fault though. The state used them as soldiers during wars and with jobs their livelihoods are dependent on an income.

People should be able to move anywhere they want to though. But I think the government uses the working class against immigrants.
Original post by Creat0r
I'm guessing you are 15/16 years old, you can be forgiven. Problems with immigration have been ongoing for around 15 years now. The bankers were only partly to blame for the recession and got far more stick than they deserved, but nobody ever went from blaming bankers to immigrants that's just a distorted view of the century so far!

I am not 15 or 16 now, please do not be so condescending. The problems of immigration did not appear 15 years ago, they have been present for far longer, but they are relatively small compared to the benefits that immigration brings. I mentioned bankers as a few years ago they were the scapegoat for the problems in the country, now it's immigrants. I didn't suggest that someone went to bed one night hating bankers and woke up the next hating immigrants.
Some subjective points:

1. The younger you are, the more likely you are to hold a "degree". Consider how many were going to University in the '60s and '70s, and contrast that with the past couple of decades. Young people have been subjected their entire life to politically correct indoctrination and the BBC/State religion of multiculturalism. Additionally, older people remember the nation as it was and therefore have no reason to believe or kowtow to the PC lie that the UK is nowt but a "nation of immigrants" and Abdul fresh off the boat is "just as British as you or I". Labour wins by far the most votes from immigrants because it panders so heavily towards them (at the expense of their native white working class voter base).

2. Impact on economy. There are conflicting polls out there. Left wing academia (relying heavily on the State for funding) produces headline "good" figures by ignoring things like in-work benefits and having to pay the dole to a native worker displaced by a min-wage immigrant. Other think tanks like Civitas and Migration Watch who get smeared by the left-wing press as "biased" will demonstrate that immigration has either made negligible or negative economic impact, particularly since the mid 1990s. The left will say that 1 in 7 businesses in the UK are started by immigrants; I will point to the hundreds of thousands of "ethnic" restaurants and fast food outlets and takeaways and minicab drivers who never hire any but their own.

3. Academia is an anti-British anti-white circle jerk (evident in your "what culture" remark, would you say that to someone from any other nation?) which breeds political correctness and the politically correct are more likely to parrot "diversity" and "vibrancy" and "multiculturalism" as being the greatest parts about "modern Britain" as they are worried about being socially ostracised (or indeed losing their jobs) if they deviate from the party line, even in something as anonymous as a poll.
Reply 14
Original post by tengentoppa
Makes perfect sense. If you're well-qualified, the threat of cheap labour coming and undermining you isn't as large a problem. It's not like there's a massive number of Romanian engineers and lawyers coming here to, as it were, "take our jobs". That's why the BNP and EDL are comprised almost solely of working-class people.

I think, pragmatically, even those whose job isn't threatened by immigration want it curbed. We are after all, a small island with limited resources.

100% accurate. +1
They are probably less likely to have an open and informed opinion/mind and are more likely to be influenced by right wing journalism and politics. True story.
Original post by DaveSmith99

I agree, we should have an open door policy to 7 billion people....

No problems you see, no problems at all.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Nationalism is associated with working class people. Whether it's soldiers thinking they're fighting "for their country" or outrage at immigrants and the effects on job competition.

I don't think it's their fault though. The state used them as soldiers during wars and with jobs their livelihoods are dependent on an income.

People should be able to move anywhere they want to though. But I think the government uses the working class against immigrants.

N'awwww it's a middle class kiddo, calling the working class "them". Hilarious. Enlightening.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
They are probably less likely to have an open and informed opinion/mind and are more likely to be influenced by right wing journalism and politics. True story.

Ah yes, that magnificent "open mind": if you don't agree with the extreme Left on open borders, multiculturalism and being toe-curlingly politically correct lest someone, anywhere, takes offence, you don't have one.
Reply 19
Original post by the mezzil
N'awwww it's a middle class kiddo, calling the working class "them". Hilarious. Enlightening.

Why do you assume I'm middle class? I don't actually believe in classes, so I think I'm classless, but for simplicity I said working class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending