The Student Room Group

What would you consider "average grades"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
Surely a 2.1 has to be average considering its the minimum for most graduate jobs its like the B/C of GCSE, on TSR anything below an A at GCSE and A-Level and a 1st at University is a fail.

People always say that but it's a modest percentage of the TSR population who get those grades and they're usually in specific population. The rest get worse grades with a lot of ppl repeating what you've said. Obviously, if you're looking at the Oxbridge stalking page, you'll see grades like that.
Original post by Arieisit
If you're referring to the ABB is a good grade thread well I guess now you can see why I didn't think it is particularly good for someone who is working hard. And besides I'm never the one to bring up my grades. Other people always are such is the direction this is heading here with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still disagree with you. You have them on your profile :lol:
Anyway, I can't be bothered finding it but I do remember an Edexcel stat document which showed about 25-48% of people getting As and above at A level. Think the highest was maths.

You would expect the number of As to be closer to 15% wouldn't you.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

So you think everyone with grades on their profile is showing off?

Even if they're DEEUDEA?
Reply 84
Original post by keromedic
I did read it. Could you perhaps rephrase?

If you're not willing to, I understand :biggrin:

If you look at that chart you can see in subjects such as mathematics there is almost 30% A's. The top 30 percent of students getting A's? Ridiculous! So when someone tells me that a C is average especially in mathematics I call it rubbish. If you add the percentage of the A's and B's in most subjects it is greater than how many C's there are, so how then are C's the average when grade inflation is so high?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you think everyone with grades on their profile is showing off?

Even if they're DEEUDEA?

Depends how they talk about them. OP keeps making threads about how he thinks people with less than As are stupid and he thinks grades define intelligence. Read his posts.
If you look at that chart you can see in subjects such as mathematics there is almost 30% A's. The top 30 percent of students getting A's? Ridiculous! So when someone tells me that a C is average especially in mathematics I call it rubbish. If you add the percentage of the A's and B's in most subjects it is greater than how many C's there are, so how then are C's the average when grade inflation is so high?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see your point. I think it might be even 45% As for maths.
I think BBC/BBB/ABC/ABB (depending on the subject) is average. Not that average is bad. There are only a few brilliant people. And the grades I mentioned can get you into many courses.
Reply 87

I really don't get why you and a few others find it a problem that I have my grades on my profile. More than half pf TSR members do. Why am I an exceptional case?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What average are you talking about? Mean, mode, median, or some strange new one?

For most subjects, I would say around C/D.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't get why you and a few others find it a problem that I have my grades on my profile. More than half pf TSR members do. Why am I an exceptional case?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you don't shut up about it
Mathematically speaking, the average grade for A-level is a C and for GCSE it's a D maybe a C, or are you using a whole new terminology for the word average?
Depends how they talk about them. OP keeps making threads about how he thinks people with less than As are stupid and he thinks grades define intelligence. Read his posts.

I checked. Didn't see them but I can see why that might be annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because, on an earlier thread, you said that you were superior to others due to your grades (or at least that's how it came across).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being smarter than other people, it's just when you go around showing off about it and proclaiming your apparent 'superiority', it comes across as douchey and pretentious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by majmuh24
What average are you talking about? Mean, mode, median, or some strange new one?

For most subjects, I would say around C/D.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think he's talking about the average (mean) performance as opposed to the middle grade.
I think he's talking about the average (mean) performance as opposed to the middle grade.

I think it would still be a C.

You could use a weighted system for calculating it, but IMO it should turn out at around a low C/D anyway (it would be interesting to calculate it though.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it would still be a C.

You could use a weighted system for calculating it, but IMO it should turn out at around a low C/D anyway (it would be interesting to calculate it though.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You see, I think it's closer to a B. I shall dig around later.

Anything I've read suggest grades are skewed upwards.
I predict a distribution like
A*-10%
A-30%
B-20%
C-15%
D-10%
E-10%
U-5%
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
Depends what school you go to. The average at my school was certainly lower than a C. I just looked and only 48% get 5 GCSE grades at C+ there. Only 5% get 5 at C+ in "maths, English, two science subjects, a language and either history or geography" :laugh: I was so painfully disadvantaged by that school :frown:
Original post by xDave-
Depends what school you go to. The average at my school was certainly lower than a C. I just looked and only 48% get 5 GCSE grades at C+ there. Only 5% get 5 at C+ in "maths, English, two science subjects, a language and either history or geography" :laugh: I was so painfully disadvantaged by that school :frown:

In my 'school', I was the only person to get Any grades that were B and above :laugh:.

When I arrived at college, I realised loads of people have very different schooling experiences.
Reply 98
BBB is average but that's my opinion.
Reply 99
Because you don't shut up about it

Funnily enough, you are the one that brings it up in everyone of these threads. If you are insecure about yourself, keep it elsewhere.

In the thread about what defines intelligence, that was open for debate and I was just throwing around ideas to see the responses. With that said not all people with AAA and above are intelligent but almost as a rule those that have lower grades are not.

Original post by Picture~Perfect
Mathematically speaking, the average grade for A-level is a C and for GCSE it's a D maybe a C, or are you using a whole new terminology for the word average?

I've address this already.

Because, on an earlier thread, you said that you were superior to others due to your grades (or at least that's how it came across).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being smarter than other people, it's just when you go around showing off about it and proclaiming your apparent 'superiority', it comes across as douchey and pretentious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never intended to post that on any thread. You coerced me into it.

In my 'school', I was the only person to get Any grades that were B and above :laugh:.

When I arrived at college, I realised loads of people have very different schooling experiences.

Why did you put school in quotations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending