The Student Room Group

How to re-train as a doctor

Would it be possible to train as a GP at the age of 47?
I finished medical school at the age of 26 in the Netherlands and did my pre-registration jobs here in the UK.
I am still registered with the GMC, but I have not had a clinical job in the last 20 years, only research jobs in combination of raising 3 children.
I am financially independent and am willing to pay for any fees/ do voluntary work in order to train as a GP, even if it would take me many years. Do I still have a chance or am I too late?
Original post by Ingrid van Loo
Would it be possible to train as a GP at the age of 47?
I finished medical school at the age of 26 in the Netherlands and did my pre-registration jobs here in the UK.
I am still registered with the GMC, but I have not had a clinical job in the last 20 years, only research jobs in combination of raising 3 children.
I am financially independent and am willing to pay for any fees/ do voluntary work in order to train as a GP, even if it would take me many years. Do I still have a chance or am I too late?

If you are still registered with the GMC I think there is a possibility that this could happen - contact them :smile:
Reply 2
Your situation is somewhat unusual and I don't think many of us on here are experienced enough to know the answers. I would imagine that the GMC and the RCGP should be your first port of call. If you have only done house jobs they will probably want you to do the whole GP vocational training scheme which will include hospital jobs as well as GP rotations - but only the authorities can tell you!

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
Your situation is somewhat unusual and I don't think many of us on here are experienced enough to know the answers. I would imagine that the GMC and the RCGP should be your first port of call. If you have only done house jobs they will probably want you to do the whole GP vocational training scheme which will include hospital jobs as well as GP rotations - but only the authorities can tell you!

Good luck. :smile:

As Helenia said, if you've not worked as a GP before then you would probably need to do the whole training scheme... which is 3-4 years & nationally co-ordinated in the UK - so perhaps ask them also? http://gprecruitment.org.uk/help.html

It looks like given the time from your last clinical job that you'd need to restart clinical work in a more supervised capacity first to demonstrate your 'foundation level competences' (current equivalent of house officer jobs) in order to apply for specialty training?
One of the eligibility requirements for GP training is: 'Evidence of current employment in a UK Affiliated Foundation Programme OR evidence of achievement of Foundation Competencies within the last 3 years'

I think you definitely have a chance if you're motivated! :biggrin: I am on a GP training scheme at the moment & there are lots of people who have changed specialties or come into GP training later on in life after graduate entry medicine etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks all; I guess I will have to go back to basics again and do my junior house jobs to show my competence, which makes sense.
Fingers crossed .
I will contact the GMC !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending