The Student Room Group

To all you ladies out there, would you date a muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by majmuh24
The father figure is normally the main influence in the household, so having a non Muslim father may influence kids to be non Muslim as well.
yes, this is characteristic of the male-dominated, patriarchical character of Islamic societies, reflected in Muslims' mindset

it is difficult to understand for those who don't share in this same mindset
Original post by ILovePancakes
Sorry, no I would not. I know that sounds incredibly racist.. But as a catholic, I fear our cultures are too different.

EDIT: someone pointed out Catholicism and Islam are apparently very similar. I suppose it's not just the religion then, rather culture as a whole. I wouldn't be willing to acknowledge many Muslim laws; I wouldn't be willing to convert. I'm also not particularly strict, as far as religious people go, but I don't know what kind of effect this would have. I'm just not very comfortable with the attitudes displayed by pretty much every Muslim man I've encountered regarding women. Albeit, it hasn't been many, but enough for me to be put off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not racist to think that. If you said I don't want to go out with Muslims because they're all terrorists then that'd be offensive or if you said that they're all dirty brown people or whatever that'd be racist. What you said isn't racist. DW :smile:

Original post by MidnightDream
I wouldn't because of the culture clash and no I don't know any happy Muslim and white girl couples

Really? Its not that common but I've seen it work - so long as they are with someone who has a "British " mentality

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, because I'm an atheist and I would want any children I ever had to be atheists too.

(I don't want children when I'm older anyway, which would probably also be an issue.)
Reply 263
Original post by Anonymous
having said that, i just googled and there is a muslimdating.com website- so maybe the rules are changing. though this appears to only be open to muslims. seems odd too actually as there are pictures of girls covering their entire face except eyes

the rules are the same-the only thing that IS changing is the way the younger generation are now perceiving certain aspects of the acc religion that make it what it is and disregard it accordingly(i.e. misinterpreting the Quran etc.)-I mean you cant say you haven't seen that happen before, guess its common in every religion -and LOL about the dating site-their approach to the idea of 'dating' is an understatement to how it is seen amongst the non-muslim community- as it states clearly in the Quran that 'dating' i.e. mingling before marriage is NOT allowed-but as with every religion you find a way of doing it without violating the rules and regulations that follow-AND i guess by 'covering their faces' as you said-is a sign of respect toward their religious beliefs/virtues instilled in them-cant blame them for trying to make their way up in life however unusual it may be xD
I'm just not very comfortable with the attitudes displayed by pretty much every Muslim man I've encountered regarding women. Albeit, it hasn't been many, but enough for me to be put off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh BTW were not all bad :smile: I guess if you go to Bradford some people have some pretty disgusting views... but I can assure you they don't represent us!

The same way that the EDl don't represent the English :smile:
I'm just not very comfortable with the attitudes displayed by pretty much every Muslim man I've encountered regarding women. Albeit, it hasn't been many, but enough for me to be put off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh BTW were not all bad :smile: I guess if you go to Bradford some people have some pretty disgusting views... but I can assure you they don't represent us!

I think its more where people are born and the people they grow around that changes their view on things...

Original post by de_monies
Oh BTW we're not all bad :smile: I guess if you go to Bradford some people have some pretty disgusting views... but I can assure you they don't represent us!

I'm sure you're not and that's why I didn't want to generalise. It's just that the limited experience I've had and the views displayed on the media (which of course, I know cannot be completely trusted), have put me off. I'm sure that a lot of you are lovely people, but it appears as though a lot are not. The same could be said for people of all backgrounds though - I suppose you just have to sieve out the nice people :tongue:.
I'm sure you're not and that's why I didn't want to generalise. It's just that the limited experience I've had and the views displayed on the media (which of course, I know cannot be completely trusted), have put me off. I'm sure that a lot of you are lovely people, but it appears as though a lot are not. The same could be said for people of all backgrounds though - I suppose you just have to sieve out the nice people :tongue:.

Thats fine and no whilst you came across as generalising there I've seen some of your other posts on the forums to know what you mean :smile:
Original post by rugg
and this kind of jokes explains why an atheist girl should better keep away from you

how would you like her making fun of your religious opinions ?

in any case, the Quran does not allow for free intermingling of religions in marriage, but lays down a clear rule for Muslim men who are allowed to marry chaste women from the "peoples of the book" (but not atheists, pagans etc)

5:5
And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers.

as to Muslim women marrying a non-Muslim, this is an absolute no-no in Islam, mainly on the basis of 60:10

"when the believing women come to you as emigrants, examine them. Allah is most knowing as to their faith. And if you know them to be believers, then do not return them to the disbelievers; they are not lawful [wives] for them, nor are they lawful [husbands] for them".

As I said : two weights, two measures

Please tell me this was a pathetic attempt at a joke as well. In my comment, I have not joked about atheism but about the statement of being a "devout atheist" which is impossible. I highly doubt the "atheist girls who should stay away from me" will listen to someone like you who can't even understand a simple sentence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rugg
on the other hand, you disagree with a Muslim female marrying a non-Muslim man

prejudices, anyone ?

where exactly did I say that?
Original post by rugg
while I admire your open-mindedness, I would point out that the mainstream position in Islam is that a Muslim woman cannot legitimately marry a non-Muslim

any sexual contact between them is therefore "zina" (a grave sin)

then, of course, you have the more liberal and "modern" interpretations...

Think you should spend a bit less time on wikipedia. Zina is not just a sexual act between a muslim woman and a non-muslim man. Zina is any sexual contact between two non-married people, muslim or non-muslim. This again is not exclusive to Islam, in Christianity or Judaism this was the traditional view. Just like most Christians nowadays commit "zina", muslims do to. Times have changed and unlike how the media portrays Islam, we are not all stuck in the stone ages and are adapting.

I am genuinely wondering where you get most of your information from because most of it is either incorrect or very stereotypical. You also manipulate statements to suit your own agenda, whatever that may be.
Reply 271
Original post by Clip
I know a bloke in the hockey team whose family hail from Pakistan (originally). He drinks like a fish, bothers all the girls in the clubs and is a superb bloke. His girlfriend is an awesomely gawjus girl of Britishy origin.

Somehow that description makes me think that he's just having some fun while he still can and in the end will marry a virgin muslim girl. :lol:
Reply 272
Original post by llys
Somehow that description makes me think that he's just having some fun while he still can and in the end will marry a virgin muslim girl. :lol:

Who knows? But why on earth would anyone marry a virgin is beyond me.
Reply 273
Original post by becauseimhappy
Think you should spend a bit less time on wikipedia. Zina is not just a sexual act between a muslim woman and a non-muslim man. Zina is any sexual contact between two non-married people, muslim or non-muslim. .
exactly

since a marriage between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man is illegitimate, they are not legally married, therefore sexual intercourse between them is zina : a grave sin

which is exactly what I stated

rugg
a Muslim woman cannot legitimately marry a non-Muslim

any sexual contact between them is therefore "zina" (a grave sin)
so, what are you on about ?
Reply 274

I am genuinely wondering where you get most of your information from because most of it is either incorrect or very stereotypical. You also manipulate statements to suit your own agenda, whatever that may be.
really ?

please show my errors and manipulations, or apologise

best
Reply 275
Original post by Kolasinac138
What about a non-practicing white European Muslim such as myself?

What's the difference between a 'non-practicing white European Muslim' and a 'white European non-muslim'?

Genuinely interested
Original post by rugg
really ?

please show my errors and manipulations, or apologise

best

In your explanation of zina, it clearly implies that zina is ONLY the contact between a muslim woman and non-muslim man which is incorrect. You also manipulated my light-hearted comment about the practising atheist into making it sound like I was mocking atheism whereas I was commenting on the "practising" part of the statment.
Original post by Pride
What's the difference between a 'non-practicing white European Muslim' and a 'white European non-muslim'?

Genuinely interested

If you're non-practicing I imagine that you still have a Muslim culture and heritage (despite not praying 5 times a day.)
Reply 278
where exactly did I say that?
I must have confused you with another Muslim, who stated that a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man

Original post by itsn0b0dy
it still stands.
convert first, then marry.

apologies for that

so, you agree that a Muslim woman should be allowed to legally marry a non-Muslim man ?
Original post by rugg
I must have confused you with another Muslim, who stated that a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man

apologies for that

so, you agree that a Muslim woman should be allowed to legally marry a non-Muslim man ?

Is the question directed at me or the other person?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending