The Student Room Group

I my undergraduate degree with a passion

It was a mistake; the biggest mistake of my life-- and I have paid for it dearly. I wasted three years of my life on a useless degree and all the years thereafter trying to find a job with the wretched thing. People on the course treated me like dirt and I underachieved academically. What’s worse, I never wanted to do it in the first place. I was bullied onto it by a seriously disgusting family member whom I no longer converse it. I will omit from my CV in the future.

I want to go back to university and pursue a postgraduate masters degree that I am actually interested in and one that is beneficial to my future/employment prospects. Problem is that my grades are so poor, that no reputable university will look at me. And there is always the issue of funding.
What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

May I ask what your degree was in?
Reply 2
Original post by The_Dragonborn
May I ask what your degree was in?

'Biomedical Sciences'
Original post by Kasa
'Biomedical Sciences'

Wow, I certainly wouldn't have thought that a "useless degree".

What exactly do you think you'd like to study then, if you went back to university?
Reply 4
Wow, I certainly wouldn't have thought that a "useless degree".

What exactly do you think you'd like to study then, if you went back to university?

It is useless for me. Trust me.

Anything but that!!

Probably something technical and useful, like 'Graphics Design', 'Literature' or Business related.
Original post by Kasa
It is useless for me. Trust me.

Anything but that!!

Probably something technical and useful, like 'Graphics Design', 'Literature' or Business related.

Troll alert.

3/10 for effort, really.
Reply 6
Troll alert.

3/10 for effort, really.

What? I am being serious. Those degrees have more use than what I studied.
if you want to become a graphic designer, degrees aren't really needed, certainly not essential :P
Reply 8
Original post by sparklingTurkey
if you want to become a graphic designer, degrees aren't really needed, certainly not essential :P

Hmmm really?

I mean I am playing around with the creative suites at present. What about a college course?
Reply 9
Troll alert.

3/10 for effort, really.

On its own the degree is useless and does not prepare you well for the world of work than those degrees that I have just listed!
Troll alert.

3/10 for effort, really.

Listen, unless you're in the OPs situation you can't really judge them as a troll. Sure, a science degree is theoretically 'useful and will get you a job straight off', but then there are the anomalies, such as the unfortunate OP. So please, pipe down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by kpofsuburbia
Listen, unless you're in the OPs situation you can't really judge them as a troll. Sure, a science degree is theoretically 'useful and will get you a job straight off', but then there are the anomalies, such as the unfortunate OP. So please, pipe down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much.
Original post by Kasa
Thank you so much.

You're welcome. Are you looking to get a job in the biomedical industry or something different? Could you not do a conversion course? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
You're welcome. Are you looking to get a job in the biomedical industry or something different? Could you not do a conversion course? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Doing three years of my life on that course was a nightmare. Can't even imagine pursuing a career in it.

I have looked into some conversion masters, but universities won't look at me with a poor degree and those degrees are so expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The troll gets a 7/10 cause someone fell for it
Reply 15
Original post by Pennyarcade
The troll gets a 7/10 cause someone fell for it

Fell for what exactly? How am I troll if I don't like my degree? Did you do a science degree?
I don't see why people are assuming this is a troll thread. Getting a poor grade in a subject you hate is hardly going to guarantee you employment. Sure, it might be a troll thread, but to suppose it is purely because the OP is struggling to get a job with a science degree is pretty naive.
Reply 17
Original post by tengentoppa
I don't see why people are assuming this is a troll thread. Getting a poor grade in a subject you hate is hardly going to guarantee you employment. Sure, it might be a troll thread, but to suppose it is purely because the OP is struggling to get a job with a science degree is pretty naive.

Thank you so much. I am not sure what to do with this nightmare on my CV though.
Original post by Kasa
No. Doing three years of my life on that course was a nightmare. Can't even imagine pursuing a career in it.

I have looked into some conversion masters, but universities won't look at me with a poor degree and those degrees are so expensive.

I guess. Am I right to assume you didn't get a good grade in your science degree? What about do some work experience/internships or whatever and then see what other unis say? At least then it wouldn't be a conversion masters,just a regular one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I guess. Am I right to assume you didn't get a good grade in your science degree? What about do some work experience/internships or whatever and then see what other unis say? At least then it wouldn't be a conversion masters,just a regular one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have spent two years since graduating securing internships that is not related to my degree at all. However they are transitory and have not lasted more than three months or so. I believe it's because the degree has not taught me skills that would have been relevant in the industry.

No I did not get a good grade. Ds and Es mostly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending