The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That they're straight edged? :confused:
Reply 2
er as in 2D people? or is this some kind of cult........... :p:
Reply 3
What is a straight edged person?
I think it means someone who abstains from everything: drink, drugs, baby-eating, etc. And if that's what they want to do then fine. This is a weird question.
Reply 5
I think it's also associated with music..?

Personally I dislike drugs and consume minimal alcohol, so I guess I might be somewhat in this category.
I know a guy like that. I use him when I leave my ruler in school.
Reply 7
Waste of time. By all means, don't drink alcohol/consume drugs etc... but ffs, stop attention whoring like Vegans do and just do it privately without some stupid name to label yourself with. Its a personal choice, not a fashion statement.
I know loads of teetotallers, and I'm fine with them.

However, I'm of the opinion that it's a bit silly to have a whole subculture devoted to abstinence from drink, drugs and all that malarkey. Although it is pretty cool that there is a subculture devoted to it.

And I'd also like to stress that the music with which straight edge music is associated is not to my liking.
Reply 9
Straight edge is lame. Never say never and all that. Where is their curiosity? They must be quite dull to have decided not to even try anything like that.
Reply 10
Bit square.
Reply 11
I don't drink, smoke or do drugs and don't need to label myself.
However, if it encourages people to abstain from them I think it's a good thing personally.
Reply 12
I don't label myself anything, or even know what music is associated with it.

But although some people would call it 'a bit square' not to take drugs, I personally prefer not to chemically change my mental state and to stay in control of what I'm doing - not taking drugs is a point of pride for me.
Not Dead Yet
I think it means someone who abstains from everything: drink, drugs, baby-eating, etc.

I don't think I could live like that. Seriously, it's not pleasant being around me if I haven't had my baby fix.

Anywho, while some people might not want to abstain from drink and drugs etc. there's certainly no reason to criticise it. What on earth could possibly be wrong with choosing not to ingest mind-altering substances? I'd never do (illegal) drugs myself and I don't really see any reason to drink alcohol - I do so now but I can't think of any reason why I should, and it's cheaper if I don't - so I might stop drinking too. If people want to keep themselves safe from the potentially dangerous substances, good for them.

If anyone thinks its "uncool" or "square", that's just immature; people don't need to subscribe to a particular "cool" lifestyle. Why should someone be criticised for making different (and, let's face it, more safety conscious) decisions about what to do with their bodies?
Reply 14
I think if people label themselves as "straight edge" its fine, it encourages others to take part. I mean, lets face it, people often drink to feel confident and then become dependent on it, for example, and a lot of people are pressured to smoke, do drugs and drinks when it's bad for health and confidence relies on these things. It would be nice to have role models in our society who didn't do drugs and drink and smoke and stagger out of clubs, which attracts others. What does everyone else think?
Reply 15
I think it is good that they are proud that they dont do drugs etc but what is the deal with all the crazy labels these days? How many are there? Emo, Trendy, Straight Edge ..the list goes on. I cant understand why someone would want to categorise themselves.
Reply 16
I don't smoke, get drunk (I drink alcohol on occasion) or do drugs. It doesn't stop me from having fun. I don't agree with recreational drug taking and I can't stand smoke from cigarettes, especially when it's blown in my direction by some inconsiderate (insert expletive here), I will never smoke. It annoys me when people go out of their way to become paraletic, however I'm not against those who go out and just have a bit of fun and become socialably (sp?) drunk, not that I would do it myself.

I realise that it would be an incredibly boring world if every single person thought the same way as me, as it would be if every body was a drugged up drunk chimney. I don't think I would ever judge anyone by the decisions they make with drugs, cigarettes or alcohol, however if these issues began to effect the way I lived because of another person I would consider removing them from my life as far as possible.

EDIT: I don't label myself as "straight edge" however, according to the definition of what is straight edge, I guess I must be.
Reply 17
it annoys me when people label themselves as straight edge, especially people who aren't even old enough to drink but then again can we really criticise something that is discouraging the consumption of rather unhealthy things?
i smoke
i dont drink (much)
i never do drugs

does that make me a bendy edged person
Reply 19
Cadre_Of_Storms
i smoke
i dont drink (much)
i never do drugs

does that make me a bendy edged person

Clearly.

Latest