The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton university F303 modules

So basically, i was looking up the different unis which do particle physics and i came across southampton

On their website, i saw the compulsory and optional modules (link below)
www.phys.soton.ac.uk/programmes/f303-mphys-particle-physics-4-yrs#modules

I'm really confused as to why they have all sorts of other subjects as part of their modules... all the bit and bobs of biology, geography, chemistry and sociology
Can someone explain to me why this is?
Reply 1
Hi I am a first year geologist at Southampton, the university tries to provide you other areas which you may want to explore that may be related to your course. Hence why the optional modules give you an opportunity to learn new things in different areas. Hope that answers it for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Hugg
Hi I am a first year geologist at Southampton, the university tries to provide you other areas which you may want to explore that may be related to your course. Hence why the optional modules give you an opportunity to learn new things in different areas. Hope that answers it for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey dude, thanks :biggrin:
i have 2 questions following on from your response!

1) how much are the exams for the optional modules worth as part of my degree? or they won't count as part of my degree?
2) they don't seem to have languages as a possible module, does that mean they don't offer the modules in languages for those who do not a study a language-based degree?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Infinity_4652
hey dude, thanks :biggrin:
i have 2 questions following on from your response!

1) how much are the exams for the optional modules worth as part of my degree? or they won't count as part of my degree?
2) they don't seem to have languages as a possible module, does that mean they don't offer the modules in languages for those who do not a study a language-based degree?

1) the optional modules still form a part of your degree - they're not extras you have to pay for but you can only take modules that fit into your timetable and up to a certain number of credits per year. http://www.southampton.ac.uk/cip/information_for_students/find_your_degree/degrees/physics_single_hons.page gives some more info
2) Language modules are included but they aren't all listed as there are so many of them the language centre usually want to talk to people about which stage of study is best for them to start on (also as you can see above it is possible to include a modern language as a minor alongside a Physics degree but it might require extra study outside of term time).

On top of that there are extra non-credit bearing language modules you can take (although those usually will cost more money) as well as opportunities to study abroad.
Original post by PQ
1) the optional modules still form a part of your degree - they're not extras you have to pay for but you can only take modules that fit into your timetable and up to a certain number of credits per year. http://www.southampton.ac.uk/cip/information_for_students/find_your_degree/degrees/physics_single_hons.page gives some more info
2) Language modules are included but they aren't all listed as there are so many of them the language centre usually want to talk to people about which stage of study is best for them to start on (also as you can see above it is possible to include a modern language as a minor alongside a Physics degree but it might require extra study outside of term time).

On top of that there are extra non-credit bearing language modules you can take (although those usually will cost more money) as well as opportunities to study abroad.

thanks a lot :smile:
looking forward to the southampton open day :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'm a first year studying MPhys here, so if you have questions related to the course then feel free to hit me up :smile:
Original post by Dorkins
I'm a first year studying MPhys here, so if you have questions related to the course then feel free to hit me up :smile:

hey :smile:

after my french exam today, i have the terrible feeling that i flopped quite badly
so if i get something like AAAD at AS level, do you think i'll be disadvantaged when applying?

the 3 As are for maths, further maths and physics
Reply 7

so if i get something like AAAD at AS level, do you think i'll be disadvantaged when applying?

Nope, I got in with worse AS grades.
Are you going to be applying before the Oxbridge deadline btw?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dorkins
Nope, I got in with worse AS grades.
Are you going to be applying before the Oxbridge deadline btw?

I'm not applying to oxbridge, but yes... i will be applying early :smile:
Reply 9
I'm not applying to oxbridge, but yes... i will be applying early :smile:

Cool, do you know about the scholarship that the physics department offer? People who apply early are invited to sit an exam for it
Original post by Dorkins
Cool, do you know about the scholarship that the physics department offer? People who apply early are invited to sit an exam for it

i didn't know about this :mmm:

i just googled this exam and i'll be looking into it further :smile:
i found this... www.phys.soton.ac.uk/undergraduate/money_matters#tab_4

and the exam attached which i will be making a start on today :biggrin:

btw, thanks a lot :yy:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending