The Student Room Group

Southampton, Bath or Bristol for Mechanical Engineering? My goal is Formula 1 :)

Okay, as the title says - my goal is to be an engineer in Formula 1 team. I got offers from Bath, Southampton, Bristol, Birmingham and Brunel. But I am choosing from the first three.

Offers:
Bath: 10 in Maths and Physics, everything else - at least 9.
Bristol: 10 in Maths and Physics, 9,5 overall, average state exams - 90% or more
Southampton: 8 in Maths and Physics and 8 overall

I think I will be able to meet all the requirements.

Please help me choose which university to study at as they have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Bristol:
+ Big City
- No Specialization
? Formula Student Team - Do they have it ???

Bath
+ Great Formula Student Team
+ Specialization
- Small City

Southampton
+ Young Formula Student team, in which I could take place from the first year.
+ Specialization
+ Big enough city
++ My friend could also go there :biggrin:

You can also tell all the benefits and drawbacks you know of each University. I will edit this post, so it would be easy for everyone to compare the universities :smile:

Firstly, I would like to know about:
accomodation and living costs,
job opportunities,
facilities - which university is the most modern? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doesn't matter where you go really, just make sure you have a foot in the door before you graduate. Most likely, this means a year placement in industry. I'm currently at Southampton, and know people who are doing a year placement at Mclaren, Caterham, and Williams.
Reply 2
Thanks! I couldn't find anything about placement year in Bristol, so that is another "-" for it :biggrin:

Could anyone tell me more about these universities and mechanical engineering courses? :smile:
Which of these are the most interesting to study at?
Are their facilities modern? (I somehow don't like old places :colondollar:)
Also about the cities? I know that Bath is small and calm city, and about Bristol and Southampton I only know that they are bigger :biggrin:
In which it would be easiest to find a job? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Titas22
Thanks! I couldn't find anything about placement year in Bristol, so that is another "-" for it :biggrin:

Could anyone tell me more about these universities and mechanical engineering courses? :smile:
Which of these are the most interesting to study at?
Are their facilities modern? (I somehow don't like old places :colondollar:)
Also about the cities? I know that Bath is small and calm city, and about Bristol and Southampton I only know that they are bigger :biggrin:
In which it would be easiest to find a job? :biggrin:

At Southampton, we don't officially have a 'year in industry' course, but some people take a year off to do it. I'm sure Bristol is the same.

I don't know which one of the three would be most interesting to study at as I've only experienced Southampton. However, what you learn from all the three listed universities should be very similar, as should any accredited mechanical engineering course.

Best thing to do is to actually visit the uni and see if you like the 'vibe' of it. At Southampton, our engineering buildings are quite old, but inside they have state of the art labs. Unfortunately, as an undergraduate, you rarely need/get to use them. Your lectures are also scattered around the campus. I have some in the physics building, chemistry building, and social science building. I only have one in the engineering building.

In terms of finding a job, do you mean term time job, or graduate job? If you mean term-time, the students union are always recruiting for staff at the uni pub, uni shop, and cinema. Outside of uni, there a quite a few vacancies in the city centre, however, it's 30-45 minutes away from campus. Bristol may be easier to find a term time job. In terms of graduate jobs, there are many companies who are based around the three cities. You will, however, most likely take a job somewhere else. F1 teams are mainly based in, or close to Oxfordshire or Woking. Other major engineering companies like being in the midlands for some reason, very few in London.
Reply 4
all 3 similar rankings, cost of living pretty much the same as well, see which city you like better and depends if you want to take a year out or not, try to visit them all if possible
Reply 5
i have landed up in the same problem. mechanical, and just dont know how to decide between bath, bristol and southampton. do you think it would be worth visiting the campuses to decide because i live abroad? ive heard they dont really show the labs and classes if its not an open day.
Reply 6
Original post by Zee2504
i have landed up in the same problem. mechanical, and just dont know how to decide between bath, bristol and southampton. do you think it would be worth visiting the campuses to decide because i live abroad? ive heard they dont really show the labs and classes if its not an open day.

They won't show you any facilities unless it's an open day. Maybe search for things to do in the cities on google, or look at the available societies and see which place seems the most enjoyable to you?
Seems like you clearly want to go to Southampton out of all of them, so I'd go there :smile:.
A bit surprised Bristol don't do placement. You can do a placement anywhere, you just take a gap in your degree and do it. You apply yourself, a placement office just might be able to help you in terms of CV.

Think people are fooled thinking universities provide placements. It's you applying to different companies. Don't go to a university just because you've heard they do great placements. It's a poor reason. Placement is as good as the company and you yourself make it. All uni does it check now and again how you're getting on.
Reply 9
Yeah, you're right about placements :biggrin:
As for visiting Universities - I would love to, but I'm from Lithuania and I cannot :/

Original post by + polarity -
To answer your ? point, it's in motion.

How should I understand that? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Like_A_G6

At Southampton, our engineering buildings are quite old, but inside they have state of the art labs. Unfortunately, as an undergraduate, you rarely need/get to use them. Your lectures are also scattered around the campus. I have some in the physics building, chemistry building, and social science building. I only have one in the engineering building.

Are those buildings in which you have lectures also modern from the inside? :biggrin:

Original post by Like_A_G6

In terms of finding a job, do you mean term time job, or graduate job? If you mean term-time, the students union are always recruiting for staff at the uni pub, uni shop, and cinema.

Yes, term-time :smile: How long would it take to find a nice job? And maybe you know what salary could I get? I am asking because I will have to maintain myself and that might be hard (or, hopefully, not :biggrin:)

Thanks for information, everyone. Waiting for more :smile:
Original post by Titas22
Are those buildings in which you have lectures also modern from the inside? :biggrin:

Yes, term-time :smile: How long would it take to find a nice job? And maybe you know what salary could I get? I am asking because I will have to maintain myself and that might be hard (or, hopefully, not :biggrin:)

Thanks for information, everyone. Waiting for more :smile:

The buildings vary. Some buildings, like the ECS lecture theatre, are modern on the inside, some, like the physics building, are quite old on the inside. But when the lecture starts, I find the material being covered more relevant than where I'm sitting :smile:

The problem is with time. I know many engineers who have got a job, but most have had to quit them due to staff saying they'd have to work during their exam weeks (part time). The only people I know who still have the same job now as they did over a year ago are those who work in the students union. Also, summer internships may also be an option. That's how I afford to live at uni. I earn around £3000 for 10 weeks of engineering related work in the summer, which also looks great on your CV. I should note, that after living costs at the internship location, I save around £1500 for the next academic year (which covers food and nights out).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Thanks! :smile:
Any more opinions? :biggrin:
Reply 13
Anyone? Please :biggrin:
It's not much time left and I can't make up my mind :/
From what you've given, I would say Bath.

Bath and Southampton seem to be pretty equal in opportunities, except I would say Bath is the slightly better university. However, it is also the smaller city, so it would depend how much the city size bothers you.
Don't be swayed by where your friends will go because that's just silly :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by eggfriedrice
From what you've given, I would say Bath.

Bath and Southampton seem to be pretty equal in opportunities, except I would say Bath is the slightly better university. However, it is also the smaller city, so it would depend how much the city size bothers you.
Don't be swayed by where your friends will go because that's just silly :tongue:

Thanks!
At Southampton I would be able to join the Formula Student team from the first year and at Bath if I know correctly - only from 3rd :/
What are the diferences between Universities of Bath and Southampton? Why is the University of Bath better?
TBH it matters very little which uni you attend in terms of prospects of getting into f1. They are all pretty much equal in terms of getting a job. If I were you I'd choose which city I'd prefer to live in rather than which uni is best for getting into f1.

I'm at bath so ask me any questions if you needs to. We have a great placement year scheme where literally 90% of engineering students end up in a placement year many of which get into f1 placements with williams, mclaren etc.

Bath is a beautiful city, the night life is ok, not as good as bristol but it's not boring i suppose. Plus pretty much all societies have regular nights out in bristol where for like £4 you get a lift to bristol, entry into a club and a lift back. Or you can just go with a few mates and share a taxi to and from bristol since it's only roughly 10 miles away.
Original post by Titas22
Thanks!
At Southampton I would be able to join the Formula Student team from the first year and at Bath if I know correctly - only from 3rd :/
What are the diferences between Universities of Bath and Southampton? Why is the University of Bath better?

Trust me I'm at bath, it isn't better or worse, they are both accredited courses and both respected unis.
Reply 18
Thanks! What about Southampton? :smile: I have never visited any of these cities and therefore cannot compare :/

Could you also tell me about accomodation and living costs at Bath? And how hard is it to find a job there? :smile:
Original post by Titas22
Thanks! What about Southampton? :smile: I have never visited any of these cities and therefore cannot compare :/

Could you also tell me about accomodation and living costs at Bath? And how hard is it to find a job there? :smile:

The prices for campus accommodation will have gone up since I was in first year so I'm not sure about that, however, you can probably find prices on the bath uni accommodation website.

Rent in the city is dependent on how close to the city centre you are. Most student though live in oldfield park the rent there is around £350 per month per person, but you'll need a bus pass to travel to and from uni. I personally live within walking distance to uni and my rent is £365 per month, but I don't need to pay for a bus pass. I'm close enough to both uni and town and the shops.

Living costs aren't too bad, the price of a night out will depend on where you go, but pre drinks are always advisable.

Food is just as expensive as everywhere else. We have a morrisons supermarket, two sainsburys supermarkets, waitrose, m & s, an iceland and they are making a lidl. Plus tesco and sainsbury express shops. On campus we have two fresh (co op goods) mini supermarkets. Funnily enough these are more expensive than the supermarkets in town and for most of first year I would get my weekly shopping from town rather than fresh to save money.

The city is literally one of the most attractive cities in the uk. Night life is ok, there are a limited amount of clubs, but it's who you are with rather than where you go which makes a good night out.

Bath in general is a very well off city, it's very upper and middle class but it's also very cultured and liberal. Everyone is very nice, and you always get the odd smile or good morning/afternoon when walking past people, which is more than can be said for other cities in the uk.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest