The Student Room Group

Need some advice

Hey, I'm waiting for my a level resit results to come out and then I'll know whether I have a place at uni, and after that I'll have ~6 weeks of free time til uni.

I do most of the ironing, I wash up dishes, I do the laundry, and I do whatever else is asked of me by my parents here. They run their own business and knew I was looking for a job, so told me to go in and do some mundane and repetitive work for them, because that's what you hire temp staff for :p:. I tried this for a while but complained that it was too boring and I felt like I wasn't getting much of a "holiday" out of this summer holiday, so the past week I've been let off the hook and told I didn't have to come in.

My dad has complained a little though, saying that I don't do anything at home, and I'm getting no exercise. I told him what I do, which is almost daily cycling to town and back, about 15-20 minutes each way, and that's pretty tiring. But now I'm starting to feel as though I've been selfish for not going in to help them out. I want my free time but without the guilt. They're really cool about some things, I don't have an allowance but if I need money for something I just have to ask (no big purchases obviously, just the odd £20 for going out, or money for getting my bike repaired, etc.).

There really isn't that much to do in Birmingham, I think. I've seen the best of this summer's films with my friends, been out drinking with them a few times, been round people's houses for the night, and anything I do with my friends doesn't really occur that often because of schedule conflicts, so I either spend most of my time at home or walking around town doing nothing.

Should I just suck it up and go help my parents out? It really is boring, and my dad's probably one of the scariest (and I'm not easily scared) bosses I know, or have known.
Reply 1
Go and work for your parents every other day, that way you aren't wrking non stop, and you don't feel guilty about not helping them.

As for finding something to do in your free time, maybe learn a new skill. Learn a foreign language, an instrument or how to draw. You need a goal in order to beat boredom in my mind.
Reply 2
Try to cycle really far, with a rucksack and tent.

I've always wanted to do this, and am considering doing it, but only from Manchester - Yorkshire which is probably only about 50 miles or so.

Latest

Trending

Trending