The Student Room Group

Is joining a gym a narcissistic endeavour? (lifting, not cardio)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cole-slaw
James Bond is just a normal looking bloke.

no, your average guy does not get to Daniel Craig level without hitting the gym.
It doesn't improve health at all, bodybuilding is notoriously damaging.

Taking steroids is, I would also argue that not doing cardio because you think that it will reduce muscle gain is also, but weightlifting is not certainly
Reply 42
Original post by tehforum
Er no.

Your standards are higher because you've been playing rugby, and all the guys there are bigger than your average bloke.

An average bloke does not look like James Bond.

mmmm maybe not the exact statistical average, but I certainly don't think James Bond is much bigger than a typical athletic male.

A lot of people who do manual labour are quite strong without ever doing a day in the gym.
Reply 43
It's narcissistic to assume you look fine when you do no exercise and eat crap.
Reply 44
mmmm maybe not the exact statistical average, but I certainly don't think James Bond is much bigger than a typical athletic male.

A lot of people who do manual labour are quite strong without ever doing a day in the gym.

Functionally strong yes, but I wouldn't say physically strong, and by extension muscley as people who train specifically for hypertrophy which is accompanied by increases in strength.
Reply 45
Gym culture is hilariously terrible but there's not really anything wrong with going to the gym to improve your looks, perhaps its a bit shallow but what isn't? If you're not some narcissistic or vain musclehead dude-bro, I don't really see a problem with it.
Reply 46
Original post by tehforum
Functionally strong yes, but I wouldn't say physically strong.

What is the difference?
Reply 47
What is the difference?

The difference is the muscles used in strength training and manual labour.

Strength training is way more efficient, targeted and therefore recruits more muscle e.g. the use of compound movements.

Plus you can't really increase the workload during manual labour.
Becoming more informed, educated is useful. Having huge muscles is not.

You seem to think everyone wants to be the next Arnie

Inferiority complex alert

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 49
Original post by silent ninja
You seem to think everyone wants to be the next Arnie

Inferiority complex alert

Sent from my HTC One

You missed the discussion by like half an hour dude.
Reply 50
I can't ****ing stand the internet fitness culture tho, I had to unlike Gym Memes and Awkward Gym Moments facebook pages because if I saw another meme about leg day or curling in the squat rack I was going to have an aneurysm
Reply 51
Men should be big. Men should try all they can to get as big as possible. What's the point of being weak if you have the potential to become strong through hard work?

Also, who says you have to join a gym to get big? It's very easy to acquire some basic weight lifting equipment for home use.

If you have the time and means to train and get stronger, you should absolutely do that. Unless it's completely impossible, it's something every man should try to do at some stage in his life.
Reply 52
:facepalm:
Reply 53

Daniel Craig is considerably bigger than the average man. That is the kind of body the majority of 'gym goers' aim for.
You missed the discussion by like half an hour dude.

How about the guy in Man of Steel? He's fairly big - you won't get like that without lifting. You think girls think he's "ugh."

Anyway, we're going off on a tangent. I've never lifted for girls. I am with someone 4 years now and only started lifting 2 years ago so it had nothing to do with that. I wanted to be healthier, faster, stronger and I'm all those things now whilst looking 10x better. Lifting is great. It isn't just about being a meathead, but again I have no issues with meatheads either. Their priorities are different and they just want bulk - so what? You gonna attack every girl who has a boob job too? There's no difference. Society has many circles in it. People are different.

On the subject of gym rats, the people i've met in the gym are some of the nicest people around. The bigger and stronger they are (=more experience) the more approachable they seem to be. One of the nicest guys in my gym is massive (240kg+ bench) with a closely shaven head and looks scary from afar. He's a big friendly giant in reality. I think women/all people would see their qualities ahead of the size of their muscles-- it's just one small piece of the picture and doesn't define a person. And yes there are many women who like big muscles, just like their are many women who like skinny guys. On the whole, women, like men, are attracted more to someone who looks after themselves and people who lift generally look quite good.

Rugby players are nothing special. Most of them are just fat. When we think of rugby players we instantly think of professionals who DO look good in just about any sport (elite). Just because you play rugby it doesn't mean you look good physically. Not directed at you, just a general rugby rant.

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CRW1996
Daniel Craig is considerably bigger than the average man. That is the kind of body the majority of 'gym goers' aim for.

This.

Christiano Ronaldo isn't big but you still need to go to the gym to achieve a physique like that. Muscle isn't just about size. Few girls prefer a skinny fat or plain fat guy over someone with a lean, muscled body.
Reply 56
You know OP, I used to think like you too. As far as I was concerned, lifting was an activity for the unintelligent to feel like they were somehow on the same level or superior to the smart guys. I never did much sport (except badminton, which hardly counts) and had a terrible level of aerobic fitness, but given that I was headed to study Medicine at UEA, I figured that lifting and sport had no part to play in my life.

Then I looked at alot of the guys on my course, and bloody hell did I feel inferior. Not only were they damn smart, but they were athletic and bulked ridiculously. I was tall at 6 ft 4, but lanky and stick thin, so I knew that I had to make some changes if I wanted to feel like an equal.

So I started lifting. I knew how ridiculous it was for someone with essentially no sporting pedigree like myself to be in that sort of environment of testosterone fuelled machismo, and goddamn did I feel self conscious at first, but soon I realised that nobody cared how skinny I was, and that lifting didn't require any sporting talent whatsoever. within 7 months of going about 3 times a week (as well as some casual dumb bell lifting at home) and guzzling some cheap mass gainer after every session, I was fairly big at 90 kg (from 70 kg). People started to notice, and despite myself, I felt damn good.

2 years on, I haven't forgotten what I used to look like, or how I still have very little sporting talent, but however much I try to be ironic about my lifting, I can''t help but linger at the mirrors when I walk past, or flex in the reflections of my windows when I'm home alone.

I worry about what I'm becoming.
Reply 57
Lifting has greatly helped my self confidence
Reply 58
Nothing wrong with wanting to get into shape and looking the best you can.
Original post by Vos
You know OP, I used to think like you too. As far as I was concerned, lifting was an activity for the unintelligent to feel like they were somehow on the same level or superior to the smart guys. I never did much sport (except badminton, which hardly counts) and had a terrible level of aerobic fitness, but given that I was headed to study Medicine at UEA, I figured that lifting and sport had no part to play in my life.

Then I looked at alot of the guys on my course, and bloody hell did I feel inferior. Not only were they damn smart, but they were athletic and bulked ridiculously. I was tall at 6 ft 4, but lanky and stick thin, so I knew that I had to make some changes if I wanted to feel like an equal.

So I started lifting. I knew how ridiculous it was for someone with essentially no sporting pedigree like myself to be in that sort of environment of testosterone fuelled machismo, and goddamn did I feel self conscious at first, but soon I realised that nobody cared how skinny I was, and that lifting didn't require any sporting talent whatsoever. within 7 months of going about 3 times a week (as well as some casual dumb bell lifting at home) and guzzling some cheap mass gainer after every session, I was fairly big at 90 kg (from 70 kg). People started to notice, and despite myself, I felt damn good.

2 years on, I haven't forgotten what I used to look like, or how I still have very little sporting talent, but however much I try to be ironic about my lifting, I can''t help but linger at the mirrors when I walk past, or flex in the reflections of my windows when I'm home alone.

I worry about what I'm becoming.

Lol

There's numerous medics on here who lift. We're all educated, not yobs of the streets

Sent from my HTC One

Quick Reply

Latest