The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Only 48% satisfied with Student Union at Bristol

Yeh so I saw this stat (1000 people taking survey) and I'm now concerned?! Is the Student Union really that bad? Or it is but that's not an issue?
It's about a mile away from uni. I'm about to graduate in six weeks and can count the number of times I've been there on one hand. It's just not really a part of the university. Other unis use their SU as a nightclub but Bristol just doesn't need to; there's maybe 40 nightclubs in the city.

I'm really surprised it's as high as 48%
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
The Union building has been rebuilt from the inside out over the last two years. As a result many students havn't used it, and as noted above, its not actually in the same area as most Uni buildings. The Sports Centre IS with all the Uni buildings and that is more of a 'hub' than the Union as a result. The Uni is built in the centre of the city so most students hang out in town pubs and clubs. Don't use SU facilities as a way to choose a Uni - big mistake.
Reply 3
Well, my friends and I have never even been to the Union building. We don't know what it is there for or where it really is, to be frank. But it's not an issue.

I think societies or subjects or sports hire out rooms there to hold certain conferences/talks/events but obviously if you're never a part of these particular societies you don't need to go there or be involved. I think in 2nd and 3rd years, more people get involved in student council and stuff, but not everyone does.

I think, from what I've gathered, other universities hold fun events and have a really good, cheap bar that makes their union good. Bristol doesn't, but it's just not a problem. Bristol nightlife is so diverse - there is quite literally hundreds of clubs/pubs/bars combined. So we don't need the union. I can imagine a smaller city university or a university with no big town/city attached to it (like Warwick or Durham) would use the SU bar/club a lot more and have a lot more events there.

Most people don't even know what the union really does (apart from the work it does with the student council), and we don't really need it anyway. It's also a 15 minute walk from the uni campus (which also has the libraries and gym centre in it).

What I'm trying to say, essentially, is don't base your decision on the union. It's not bad, it's just not as much of a hub in such a big town/city like Bristol.

Also, why are you even concerned about the union? Never ever heard of someone considering that when applying to university....
Reply 4
Thanks for advice, I'm not basing my decision on that, just reassuring myself that everything's fine before firming Bristol!
the students union at bristol is completely and utterly irrelevant, it may as well not exist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending