The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is the area around Whitechapel and Mile End safe?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1drowssap
Murder in broad daylight is certainly something you don't expect in London. I know you are trying to convey the message that they are one off incidents, but crime in London isn't something that I would take lightly, especially if I am going to study in East London for the next few years. I want to study without fearing for my life everyday, and based on what I heard and read, it's generally not the nicest area.

Hi! It's fair enough to be concerned, especially if you're not from London, or a big city, it can be quite overwhelming!. Our campus is secure and has twenty four hour security, and more information can be found here: http://www.security.qmul.ac.uk/
Hope this helps, -Sarah
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi! It's fair enough to be concerned, especially if you're not from London, or a big city, it can be quite overwhelming!. Our campus is secure and has twenty four hour security, and more information can be found here: http://www.security.qmul.ac.uk/
Hope this helps, -Sarah

I am also currently trying to decide between Queen Mary and few other universities. The safety is unfortunately one of the concerns. You have only stated that the campus is secure. What about the area around? From the looks it is not the best area and may be scary at night.
This is my third year in this area and i've been everywhere at every time of night in different "conditions" and nothing has ever come close to hurting me. That is however, my experience.
I would say theres absolutely nothing wrong with the area. Its a bit dirty fair enough but it's safe. Everyone minds their business.
To chime in on the area, for myself i'd say it's totally safe but I wouldn't let my little sister walk around there alone at night.

It's not "shariah patrols" you have to worry about it's the gangs of eastern european, Asian, somail youths that roam around the area at night (As they would in any low income area).

don't stray too far from campus and you're fine though.
Original post by 1drowssap
I'll be studying at QM in September, and although the area around that looks a little run down, I didn't really mind. However, I heard some bad things about the area, like people randomly getting stabbed while in that area. Is this true?

After watching this video, I'm kind of inclined to think that riots would take place there in the near future. The thought of being in the middle of all this really scares me, but I hope that the video is just a dramatization, and East London isn't as chaotic as everyone makes it out to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tEpjmFH9g

I've lived in this area all my life, and on two occasions, people have tried mugging me - they obviously failed because I told one of them I'm going home to get my brother (I went home to get him, then looked out of the window to see the thug gone), it was mainly because I was young, in a school uniform and alone. Honestly, it's as safe as any other area...only with a lot of Asians. You're old, no one will mess with you, just don't try and be an idiot and harass others on a Friday night, drunk, or you'll get a swift punch round your jaw, but thats expected with anyone. I've moved further away now, a step away from Newham borough (literally a step) and haven't had any problems since, and I take a trip to Whitechapel/Milend area at least once every week - nothing happens.
Reply 45
Original post by AhmedNazar
This is my third year in this area and i've been everywhere at every time of night in different "conditions" and nothing has ever come close to hurting me. That is however, my experience.
I would say theres absolutely nothing wrong with the area. Its a bit dirty fair enough but it's safe. Everyone minds their business.

It's too dirty. I would have chosen Keele but my parents pushed me into Barts. I like the uni and the accommodation is nice but the area is awful. Too much litter, noisy with all the random fireworks/ road rage etc.
Makes it hard to focus.

Should have chosen Dawson instead of Floyer!
Whitechapel and Mile End has become a hotbed for violent Muslim and Somali gangs who are simply not the same as white people. These multicultural shitholes are now riddled with racial and cultural tension, and all the other wonderful benefits that come with diversity. Your chances of being mugged, assaulted, mugged or even worse are quite fairly decent, and you shouldn't walk around at night by yourself. All the apathetic lefty students who live around here love bragging about the wonders of diversity and multiculturalism, until they get mugged or beaten, then they suddenly change their tune. I have lived round here for 45 years and watched it slowly turn into the third world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending