The Student Room Group

UCL or KCL for Pharmacy?

I thankfully have unconditional offers for both UCL and KCL for pharmacy. However, I just cannot make up my mind on which to go for. I've been to both open days and liked both but just can't decide with a week to go. Originally when I applied, I would have loved to got into either as they're both prestigious and both in the centre of London.
I'd be grateful for people's opinions and of their personal experience.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! thats amazing congratulations, i was wondering what your gcse and a level grades were? also, did you do the UKCAT? have you had an interview and if so what was it like? sorry for bombarding you with questions!
Reply 2
ZMR
OP
Original post by Sarrah17
Hello! thats amazing congratulations, i was wondering what your gcse and a level grades were? also, did you do the UKCAT? have you had an interview and if so what was it like? sorry for bombarding you with questions!

Hi Sarrah,
I was happy with my GCSE grades, I achieved 7 A's, 1 B and 2 C's. My A-Level results were: A*AAB.
You don't do the UKCAT for pharmacy, only if your applying for dentistry or medicine and maybe vetirinary medicine but I'm not to sure abou the last one so you'll have to check it out.:smile:

Don't worry about the questions, I'm happy to answer more if you want.

Also, sorry for the late reply ( I didn't realise I had a new message).
Those are brilliant results! Thank you for answering! Better late than never ;D what did you take for your AS and A levels? When did you hand in your uni choices? I heard the earlier the better! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
are the A* AA B your predicted grades or? ... :biggrin:
Reply 5
ZMR
OP
Hi Sarrah,
Again, I'm sorry for the late replies:confused:. My A-Levels were: Maths, Chemistry, Government & Politics and Biology. The A*AAB grades were what I achieved not predicted hene the unconditional offer.
Original post by ZMR
Hi Sarrah,
I was happy with my GCSE grades, I achieved 7 A's, 1 B and 2 C's. My A-Level results were: A*AAB.
You don't do the UKCAT for pharmacy, only if your applying for dentistry or medicine and maybe vetirinary medicine but I'm not to sure abou the last one so you'll have to check it out.:smile:

Don't worry about the questions, I'm happy to answer more if you want.

Also, sorry for the late reply ( I didn't realise I had a new message).

hello, im doing my GCSE's and I would like to study pharmacy. I am aiming to get 2 A*'s 6 A's and 2 B's and 1 C . Are these grades good enough?
Original post by ZMR
I thankfully have unconditional offers for both UCL and KCL for pharmacy. However, I just cannot make up my mind on which to go for. I've been to both open days and liked both but just can't decide with a week to go. Originally when I applied, I would have loved to got into either as they're both prestigious and both in the centre of London.

You should go with KCL.

Not biased at all, although I am a KCL pharmacy student :colone:

On a serious note, UCL is more prestigious overall but KCL is way better for pharmacy and pharmacology.
I had 2A*'s 7A's and 2B's, to be completely honest, you really don't need more than that, I've spoken to countless pharmacy students and their gcse grades averaged around mine so I say aim high and I'm sure you'll do fine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and thankyou for the information ZMR :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
ZMR
OP
Original post by tammie123
You should go with KCL.

On a serious note, UCL is more prestigious overall but KCL is way better for pharmacy and pharmacology.

Thanks for your opinion Tammie!:smile: In the end I chose UCL not KCL due to personal reasons: easier to commute to and better area (my opinion). All in all, I think both are great for Pharmacy and it was the hardest decision I've ever had to make.
Wish you the best for your career Tammie!

Original post by Marcusroye98
hello, im doing my GCSE's and I would like to study pharmacy. I am aiming to get 2 A*'s 6 A's and 2 B's and 1 C . Are these grades good enough?

Hi Marcus,
Well you've certainly got better GCSEs than me so you've a very good chance to study Pharmacy but you should focus on trying to getting the best possible A-Levels aswell as your personal statement and try getting some Work Experience if you can (I found it very hard but got lucky).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ZMR
Thanks for your opinion Tammie!:smile: In the end I chose UCL or KCL due to personal reasons: easier to commute to and better area (my opinion). All in all, I think both are great for Pharmacy and it was the hardest decision I've ever had to make.
Wish you the best for your career Tammie!

Hi Marcus,
Well you've certainly got better GCSEs than me so you've a very good chance to study Pharmacy but you should focus on trying to getting the best possible A-Levels aswell as your personal statement and try getting some Work Experience if you can (I found it very hard but got lucky).

Thank-you :biggrin:
Reply 12
Hi,
Did u get any work experience or anything of that sort before applying for pharmacy at kings or UCL. Im thinking of doing pharmacy next year and i am also stuck between the two.
Thanks in advance
Reply 13
ZMR
OP
Hi ZSM, I managed around 2 months of work experience at a community pharmacy during my gap year.
Hope that helps!
Original post by tammie123
You should go with KCL.

Hi tammie123!

I am also interested in applying for Pharmacy in UCL and KCL. Can you explain a bit more of why KCL is better in pharmacy than in UCL?

Thank you!
Original post by edithykleung
Hi tammie123!

I am also interested in applying for Pharmacy in UCL and KCL. Can you explain a bit more of why KCL is better in pharmacy than in UCL?

Thank you!

All I will say is...

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/pharmacy#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Reply 16
Original post by ZMR

Im relatively sure where you get your degree from in pharmacy is irrelevant - same as medicine and dentistry. I may be wrong though. Be warned also, london is highly saturated in every sector especially pharmacy which is already over saturated across the UK. Have you done research on this?
I've had 3A's 5B's and 2C's in my GCSE's and hopefully I will try to resit sport and maths to get either 2 A's and A*'s. My math biol and chem exams have been ridiculous this month so I reckon I've scraped BBB and I will probably take a 4 th AS next year, do you eeckon KCL and UCL will accept these results and whether they would consider my application with average/not so good (my opinion) GCSE'S??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
ZMR
OP
Original post by teen1234
Im relatively sure where you get your degree from in pharmacy is irrelevant - same as medicine and dentistry. I may be wrong though. Be warned also, london is highly saturated in every sector especially pharmacy which is already over saturated across the UK. Have you done research on this?

Thanks teen1234 for your opinion!:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by ZMR
Thanks teen1234 for your opinion!:smile:

was expecting a comment on what i said/asked but ok haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending