The Student Room Group

Go through clearing for maths or take a year out to get better grades?

Results are coming soon. I now know i want to do maths at uni but im not sure if i should take a year out and improve my grades so i can apply to better universities.

Im thinking of looking for clearing places at universities like reading.

Im sure i will get BBB or BBC .. B in maths. Would it be worth taking a year out to retake and do further maths or is it better to go to uni straight away?

Will the university i go to have much of an effect on my career? Will i struggle in the first year of maths if i dont take a year out to re-do maths?

After retakes i could get AAB and a grade in f.maths. any advice appreciated
Reply 1
I myself took a year out to improve my grades so that i could go to a better uni and all i can say is its a big risk getting to a different uni this way but its well worth it. I say a big risk because most universities tend to look down on you if you have taken a year out and will most definitely ask for much improved grades anyway.
I would advise against taking any extra subjects in your gap year as this will distract you from getting improved grades in your three most important a-levels.
Even if you do decide to go to uni this year, you might find some aspects of the course challenging but to be honest who wouldn't.
During this year i applied to three top unis and only managed to get one offer from king's college london and even they asked for AABE. So to sum everything up, concentrate on your main a-levels, keep motivated, and remember as long as you do improve your grades you will almost certainly have many maths courses available through clearing if all other options fail.
Reply 2
Results are coming soon. I now know i want to do maths at uni but im not sure if i should take a year out and improve my grades so i can apply to better universities.

Im thinking of looking for clearing places at universities like reading.

Im sure i will get BBB or BBC .. B in maths. Would it be worth taking a year out to retake and do further maths or is it better to go to uni straight away?

Will the university i go to have much of an effect on my career? Will i struggle in the first year of maths if i dont take a year out to re-do maths?

After retakes i could get AAB and a grade in f.maths. any advice appreciated

Do you know what proportion of Reading maths students have Further Maths - if it's a minority or not too large a majority then the course must cater to people without it, and the year out would seem unnecessary. Can you get a copy of the first year syllabus - maybe run it by your teachers to see how much of it is Further-Maths-like: no point doing it at school and again at uni.
Reply 3
I really want to go to Durham and if I don't get the required AAB I plan to retake and reapply. Redo Physics and Further Maths and perhaps pick up doing Economics in one year.

Latest