The Student Room Group

Law or Japanese?

I have a very specific and troubling problem.

I have an offer to study Japanese in October. This has been my goal for around 5 years, mainly because I have always wanted to live in Japan.

Recently I have completely changed as a person and I don't truly know what I want any more. I don't think I want to live in Japan all my life. I think I want to be a lawyer (not in Japan or Asia). I can easily change to Law, but I don't know if this is the right decision because I have wanted to do Japanese for so long.

I don't know what other information to put, feel free to ask any questions. I really need some advice.
Reply 1
Well done on your offer! I guess it really depends on what career you'd like to pursue after the degree. What would you do in Japan? I visited Tokyo some time ago and met a couple of Brits who were teaching English out there and learning Japanese in their spare time. Other opportunities might be in international companies or as a translator perhaps.

You might be interested in the MEXT scholarship for students who'd like to study a degree in a Japanese university:
http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/koutou/ryugaku/boshu/1319066.htm

Law would also give you loads of options so it comes down to which field you could see yourself committing to for the next few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest