The Student Room Group

King's College London Reputation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by iamyourmum
Thanks for the links :smile:

Is it possible to do all three (law clinic, innocence project and CAB) or will that be too much of a time commitment?

IMHO no its not possible if you want to get into the meat of your studies and have a social life... the work will come quick and steady... However it is possible to do law club and one of the other three... join law club and get clued in to all the events happening and then choose either CAB, Law Clinic or Innocence.

Each (of the three) will require a certain level of commitment and time. You can get a feel of which would be right for you, from other members of the law club and attending the freshers meetings held by all (though I believe CAB is not uni related)
Original post by cambio wechsel

As well as the including of Imperial, the placing of the LSE where it is looks odd. That's a first-tier institution on any metric.

And why include the IoE? Or why include it but not LSHTM or RVC or LBS or RAM or the Courtauld? Again, these are among the very best (in the world) at what they do.

LSE has too limited of a range of disciplines.

Education is a much bigger field and IoE is more known than the other ones. But a case can be made for LBS, even though it can be argued that it's been overshadowed in a way by the LSE.
Original post by clh_hilary
LSE has too limited of a range of disciplines.

Education is a much bigger field and IoE is more known than the other ones. But a case can be made for LBS, even though it can be argued that it's been overshadowed in a way by the LSE.

I increasingly feel that you're only making it up as you go along.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I increasingly feel that you're only making it up as you go along.

Which comment of mine was not true?

Why is there a need for me to explain every single comment of mine to you, listing all the possibilities?
Reply 44
Original post by CanuckKid
I'm an international student, in Canadian high school right now, considering studying law in the UK. I've been offered a spot at KCL with a 27000 pound scholarship, one of the full Dickson Poon ones (that's over three years, not annually),

I've also been given offers to all the top Canadian business schools. I applied to business in Canada as law is purely a graduate study in North America.

What I'm trying to assess is the strength of KCL's reputation. I'm trying not to be a "reputation whore" but since a foreign law degree is not particularly usefully, a school with prestige is kind of important.

My question is this: just how good is KCL's reputation in the UK? It's held in very good repute in North America. Also, what are some schools in North America that you feel it is comparable to?

In terms of global percevied reputation by top employers, I would say that Toronto and probably McGill would be considered higher than KCL. In terms of North American universities, too many to name. KCL is not part of the so called G5 (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL) which are the only ones that can really compete with the top american universities. Would probably consider KCL equivalent to University of California, Los Angeles or John Hopkins. Well below HYPS and also considerably below Brown, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago etc.

You are bound to get a lot of UK bias on this forum.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by All-in
In terms of global percevied reputation by top employers, I would say that Toronto and probably McGill would be considered higher than KCL. In terms of North American universities, too many to name. KCL is not part of the so called G5 (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL) which are the only ones that can really compete with the top american universities. Would probably consider KCL equivalent to University of California or John Hopkins. Well below HYPS and also considerably below Brown, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago etc.

Don't really think Toronto/McGill > KCL
I'm probably biased because most people in my school applied to Toronto as a safety as an offer is basically guaranteed for internationals who pay 8 times the local fees
That being said, Toronto is always ranked in the Top 20 in the global rankings

I think OP mentioned that he was deciding between Queen's and UBC
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm an international student, in Canadian high school right now, considering studying law in the UK. I've been offered a spot at KCL with a 27000 pound scholarship, one of the full Dickson Poon ones (that's over three years, not annually),

I've also been given offers to all the top Canadian business schools. I applied to business in Canada as law is purely a graduate study in North America.

What I'm trying to assess is the strength of KCL's reputation. I'm trying not to be a "reputation whore" but since a foreign law degree is not particularly usefully, a school with prestige is kind of important.

My question is this: just how good is KCL's reputation in the UK? It's held in very good repute in North America. Also, what are some schools in North America that you feel it is comparable to?

Reputation of King's is very good in the UK - I would say almost on par with UCL/LSE with additional prestige due to the mass of London universities which are worse regarded. The top universities in the city seem to hold a special place different to the top universities in the rest of the country, and generally have excellent employment prospects coupled with a brilliant student experience.

I believe law is one of their top departments.

Within the UK I might compare King's to Edinburgh or Durham. In North America, perhaps it's comparable to Duke? But it's difficult to say.

I'm in my final year at UCL currently and am doing a module at King's - I have to admit that I've been impressed by King's excellent provision for its students and spacious library, and fantastic lecturers in War Studies.
Reply 47
Original post by iamyourmum
Don't really think Toronto/McGill > KCL
I'm probably biased because most people in my school applied to Toronto as a safety as an offer is basically guaranteed for internationals who pay 8 times the local fees
That being said, Toronto is always ranked in the Top 20 in the global rankings

I think OP mentioned that he was deciding between Queen's and UBC

Toronto is similair to Bocconi (considered a target uni for IB) where applying as an international you are basically guaranteed an offer. Doesn't take away from the fact that it still enjoys a strong reputation (it's fair to say more postgraduate than undergraduate however). The "natural selection" at those unis usually happens during the 1st year. That's why they have higher drop out rates compared to UK unis.

If those are the OP's choices, then KCL without a doubt. The Dickson Poon scholarship also sits nicely on a CV.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cutmeloose

Aside from Law, what other courses have an A*AA requirement. I just checked and pretty sure it's none which is fairly astounding..please correct me if I'm mistaken. Warwick/Durham has probably at least 5 or more.

Apart from law, war studies, history, liberal arts, mathematics (or mathematics with philosophy, physics, finance or computer science) all require A*AA, totalling 15 different courses requiring A*AA altogether.

The most common grades needed for King's are AAB - AAA. (51 courses requiring AAB and 41 course requiring AAA). There were 5 course only asking for BBB.

This literally only means very little in trying to define how good a uni is but those are the grades strait out of the prospectus so at least I'm not pulling stuff from the air.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by All-in
In terms of global percevied reputation by top employers, I would say that Toronto and probably McGill would be considered higher than KCL. In terms of North American universities, too many to name. KCL is not part of the so called G5 (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL) which are the only ones that can really compete with the top american universities. Would probably consider KCL equivalent to University of California or John Hopkins. Well below HYPS and also considerably below Brown, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago etc.

You do know Berkeley is part of the University of California system... Furthermore Hopkins is quite highly regarded, especially for the medical field, some of the best doctors in the world are trained and work at Hopkins. In some respects it would not be a stretch to say that Hopkins outstrips some of the some of the unis on your list (in certain fields).

As you know blanket statements are not usually very helpful...
Original post by physicsbook
Apart from law, war studies, history, liberal arts, mathematics (or mathematics with philosophy, physics, finance or computer science) all require A*AA, totalling 15 different courses requiring A*AA altogether.

The average grades needed for King's are AAB - AAA. (51 courses requiring AAB and 41 course requiring AAA). There were 5 course only asking for BBB.

This literally only means very little in trying to define how good a uni is but those are the grades strait out of the prospectus so at least I'm not pulling stuff from the air.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/war-studies/alpha/W/header_search/

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/history/alpha/H/header_search/

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/liberal-arts/alpha/L/header_search/

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/mathematics/alpha/M/header_search/

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/mathematics-and-philosophy/alpha/M/header_search/

All AAA. Where are you looking? because it's more like 2 course requiring A*AA and not 15. Has the website not been updated?

How charming
Original post by physicsbook
The prospectus, I told you were I got my information from.

Well, the internet says one thing. So I guess that clears things up.
Original post by Cutmeloose
Well, the internet says one thing. So I guess that clears things up.

If you actually look at the website and go on to the part where it tells you what they have offered people you'll see that they offer people A*AA for the courses I have mentioned.

EDIT: "A levels A*AA (plus A at AS level Further Maths if not taken at A2)" -Thats from King's website and if you have a look on the UCAS search tool you'll see the entry requirements there as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by vnupe
You do know Berkeley is part of the University of California system... Furthermore Hopkins is quite highly regarded, especially for the medical field, some of the best doctors in the world are trained and work at Hopkins. In some respects it would not be a stretch to say that Hopkins outstrips some of the some of the unis on your list (in certain fields).

As you know blanket statements are not usually very helpful...

Berkeley and UCLA are two distinct universities.

King's has an excellent medical department as well (John Hopkins is a partner institution), but that's not the point. As my post stated at the beginning, "In terms of global perceived repuation by top employers".

There are specific studies where top global employers were asked to give their opinion on this matter. Is this the be all and end all opinion to take into account? Of course not, it's just another ranking.
Every ranking paints a different picture, but you have to attempt to draw the line somewhere.
Reply 55
Original post by All-in
Berkeley and UCLA are two distinct universities.

King's has an excellent medical department as well (John Hopkins is a partner institution), but that's not the point. As my post stated at the beginning, "In terms of global perceived repuation by top employers".

There are specific studies where top global employers were asked to give their opinion on this matter. Is this the be all and end all opinion to take into account? Of course not, it's just another ranking.
Every ranking paints a different picture, but you have to attempt to draw the line somewhere.

Berkeley and UCLA are part of the University of California system... that is indisputable...

As far as JHU if we are talking ranking metrics, THE labels them as 18 globally, Chicago is 14 and Toronto is 20... seems like they all are in the same ballpark... I guess THE drew the line there...
Reply 56
Original post by All-in
Toronto is similair to Bocconi (considered a target uni for IB) where applying as an international you are basically guaranteed an offer. Doesn't take away from the fact that it still enjoys a strong reputation (it's fair to say more postgraduate than undergraduate however). The "natural selection" at those unis usually happens during the 1st year. That's why they have higher drop out rates compared to UK unis.

If those are the OP's choices, then KCL without a doubt. The Dickson Poon scholarship also sits nicely on a CV.

Yeah, those are my choice largely. I also have offers from UofT and McGill, but their business programs are weak, particularly McGill. Also, Quebec is a mess right now, and the uni staff there are clueless(my brother is finishing up his undergrad there now.)

Frankly, UofT undergrad is a bit of a joke. It's harder to get rejected than accepted. The only reason it's ranked so high is it's research income is giant, because its central and has huge enrollment, just under 50,000.

Queen's is largely considered Canada's best undergraduate business program, which is why it's really my top choice. UBC is considered to be not as good, but it's in Vancouver, so I would save on living costs, and tuition is only 7000 dollars (about 3800) pounds.
(edited 9 years ago)
Further to my last post... King's also has a substantial number of North Americans among its student body - I'm not sure whether that makes a difference to you.
Reply 58
Original post by delicious one
Further to my last post... King's also has a substantial number of North Americans among its student body - I'm not sure whether that makes a difference to you.

It's not a huge deal. It would be nice to have a few people who watch hockey and stuff. I know that sounds stupid but I'm quite sincere.
See, this is kinda of what I was talking about, people are too focused on "ranking." We all know what the ranking's say, but I take them with a grain of salt. What I'm trying to figure out is what KCL is actually considered prestige wise. As in, is it on the same level as UC Berkeley, as some on this thread suggested? NYU? Brown? To use universities from my home and native land, University of Toronto or McGill or UBC?

I use North American schools because they are the ones I am most familiar with.

You are high if you think King's is comparable to NYU, Brown in terms of competitiveness.

NYU is a T14 school that virtually guarantees meaningful law employment often in NYC. King's Law will get you rejected from most Canadian law firms, difficulty with a job in London due to citizenship and thats assuming you graduated with a 2.1.

Brown has no law school so not worth comparing.

King's is a great school no doubt, but for Law, don't bother. Stay in Canada. Canadian lawyers look down at UK law degrees because they accept Canadians for $$$ and have low requirements. KCL isn't too bad as for example Leicester, but its no Oxbridge (which is likely the only law program you can bring back to Canada without having to explain why you went abroad).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending