The Student Room Group

Will this World Cup be one of the worst in history ?

With the World Cup round the corner, stadiums in Brazil aren't fully ready yet. Riots are also threatening to occur to disturb the World Cup.

I just feel theres gonna be controversy :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, the media always makes out there is going to be a massive problem in any foreign sporting fesival...(Euro 2012 racism etc etc) it is never nearly as bad as was made out beforehand.
No the media always make is seem worse than it is, remember the London Olympics were supposed to be a tragedy.
But, they turned out to be flipping' amazing, anyway who cares about the background noise once the ball starts rolling!
No. I think it will be a far better world cup than last time actually. You have Messi and Ronaldo at their peak, the rise of Belgium, Brazil with the home advantage, dominant and unbeaten Spain, with Germany and Uruguay behind that.

What's not to like? As long as the games go ahead as normal they can riot as much as they want.
You don't even imagine how serious the situation is. Brazilians expressed clearly in the last year riots that they don't want a World Cup. It is the most expensive WC ever, more than 33 billions were spent and half of the infrastructure projects and stadiums are still incomplete. They lack hospitals, schools, teachers earn ****..., while the 1% is filthy rich. It's a 200 million people country filled with anger. This is NOT going to end well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MichelBraga
You don't even imagine how serious the situation is. Brazilians expressed clearly in the last year riots that they don't want a World Cup. It is the most expensive WC ever, more than 33 billions were spent and half of the infrastructure projects and stadiums are still incomplete. They lack hospitals, schools, teachers earn ****..., while the 1% is filthy rich. It's a 200 million people country filled with anger. This is NOT going to end well.

Its not that they don't want a World Cup, they just don't want this one. The government promised them there would be little public money involved.with major burdens on private companies. They also said infrastructure development would be key. In the end private investors never materialised (surprise surprise, they never do) and countless infrastructure projects were cancelled or abandoned.

Anyway these are exactly the same things that were said before Athens and London Olympics, World Cup in South Africa and Euros in Poland/Ukraine, they went fine. It will depend on how the Brazil team does, of they do well then no one will care (until afterwards) if not, then yeh, it might kick off.

Finally the OP has failed to mention the singular reason why this World Cup is likely to have slow, boring games, the weather in the North/East. Some games will kick of in Manaus / Recife in the middle of the day when .temperatures could reach 40 C with 90%+ humidity, that is conducive to one thing, slow, boring football and players who are dead before the end of the group stage. Apparently some locals describe kicking of at that time is 'inhumane'.
Original post by mojojojo101
Its not that they don't want a World Cup, they just don't want this one. The government promised them there would be little public money involved.with major burdens on private companies. They also said infrastructure development would be key. In the end private investors never materialised (surprise surprise, they never do) and countless infrastructure projects were cancelled or abandoned.

Anyway these are exactly the same things that were said before Athens and London Olympics, World Cup in South Africa and Euros in Poland/Ukraine, they went fine. It will depend on how the Brazil team does, of they do well then no one will care (until afterwards) if not, then yeh, it might kick off.

Finally the OP has failed to mention the singular reason why this World Cup is likely to have slow, boring games, the weather in the North/East. Some games will kick of in Manaus / Recife in the middle of the day when .temperatures could reach 40 C with 90%+ humidity, that is conducive to one thing, slow, boring football and players who are dead before the end of the group stage. Apparently some locals describe kicking of at that time is 'inhumane'.

Correct, but, without being "eurocentric", the competence of the British authorities is much higher than the Brazilian one. Corruption in Brazil goes pro, and a WC is a big opportunity to make some serious money. So it will be a big mess, for sure.

About the weather, despite the northeast of the country being usually hot, it will be winter, so the temperatures should drop a little to a more bearable level.
Original post by MichelBraga
Correct, but, without being "eurocentric", the competence of the British authorities is much higher than the Brazilian one. Corruption in Brazil goes pro, and a WC is a big opportunity to make some serious money. So it will be a big mess, for sure.

About the weather, despite the northeast of the country being usually hot, it will be winter, so the temperatures should drop a little to a more bearable level.

Yeh, the Brazilian authorities are awful and the British are better, however it's not like the Greeks and the Ukrainians had particularly great reputations wrt corruption leading up to those events (not meant as a slight against Ukraine/Greece).

The weather in the South will be much, much better, not dissimilar to how our weather is at this time of year so the games played there will probably be better. That does however create quite an imbalance, where a team like Argentina could play all their games down South and Italy could play all of their games up to the QF up North, a clear disadvantage for the Italians.
It can't be any worse than 2010.

- Vuvuzelas
- Poor quality of football. There was about 3 good games.
- England's World Cup squad. Looking at it now, I can't believe how some of those players were actually taken. SWP, Heskey, Warnock, Upson. France and Italy weren't much better, too many 'has beens' in their squad.
- Refereeing controversies.

All the talk about riots, stadiums not being ready, unhappy locals, going over budget etc can be applied to every major tournament that takes place somewhere other than Western Europe or the States. The media love making a mountain out of a molehill.
I think the English fans could be given a hard time in particular given that the IOC are considering shifting the 2016 Olympics from Rio to London ...
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I think the English fans could be given a hard time in particular given that the IOC are considering shifting the 2016 Olympics from Rio to London ...

There's a bigger chance of Algeria winning the World Cup than that happening. Many of the venues have been converted, and the actual Olympic Stadium is being altered so West Ham can move in there from 2016. Given how they've already sold the land where their current ground is located, I don't think it'll go down too well if they had to delay moving in...
Reply 12
Yeah it's going to be bad. Football has been dying slowly, undergoing a progressive deterioration over the years. It was at it's very best in the mid to late 90s. In the first decade of this century, it started getting worse and worse. Eventually, it was completely dead by around 2005. And the amazing thing is that it just keeps getting worse and worse!! It hit rock bottom 10 years ago, yet somehow it's still getting worse, which is amazing!

I'll admit, I did enjoy the 2006 world cup, that was a surprisingly good tournament I must say. But the 2010 world cup was...just...the worst thing ever. Worse than the X-Factor or Britain's Got Talent. So I'm not even going to watch this world cup. Football sucks now, SO ****ing MUCH.
Reply 13
Original post by sr90
It can't be any worse than 2010.

- Vuvuzelas
- Poor quality of football. There was about 3 good games.
- England's World Cup squad. Looking at it now, I can't believe how some of those players were actually taken. SWP, Heskey, Warnock, Upson. France and Italy weren't much better, too many 'has beens' in their squad.
- Refereeing controversies.

All the talk about riots, stadiums not being ready, unhappy locals, going over budget etc can be applied to every major tournament that takes place somewhere other than Western Europe or the States. The media love making a mountain out of a molehill.

Pretty much.

Although Brazil is a special case in terms of unpreparedness. They're trying to not cock up the Olympics at the same time. The thing is with these things, no matter how badly they go - you can always paper over the cracks for a one-off event.
I thought it could be one of the best i will ever see (germany 06 holds that).

Political issues will be huge, but the entertainment wise with a lot of world class talent on show at their peak will be amazing.

Plus late night football matches are some of the best , and no Vuvuzelas!
So many dark horses who can do well, especially south american teams like Uruguay, Chile and Colombia.

Or maybe its just because these events are so special, and im a football nut who cant wait to watch 3 games a day!
Original post by Stinkum
Yeah it's going to be bad. Football has been dying slowly, undergoing a progressive deterioration over the years. It was at it's very best in the mid to late 90s. In the first decade of this century, it started getting worse and worse. Eventually, it was completely dead by around 2005. And the amazing thing is that it just keeps getting worse and worse!! It hit rock bottom 10 years ago, yet somehow it's still getting worse, which is amazing!

I'll admit, I did enjoy the 2006 world cup, that was a surprisingly good tournament I must say. But the 2010 world cup was...just...the worst thing ever. Worse than the X-Factor or Britain's Got Talent. So I'm not even going to watch this world cup. Football sucks now, SO ****ing MUCH.

So football was completely dead in the year we had the most incredible Champions League final ever? And it got even worse as the best players in history appeared?
Original post by hello101010
So football was completely dead in the year we had the most incredible Champions League final ever? And it got even worse as the best players in history appeared?

He didn't mention 1999 in his post?
Anything could happen from major crime drama, stadium collapse and human tragedy, to gridlocked traffic and travel chaos. England are hours from both the training pitch and the airport immediately adjacent to a shanty town. The Germans by contrast have built their own resort - no need to put their towels out on the poolside chairs lol.
Reply 18
Original post by hello101010

I was giving a very rough estimate there, not exact, give or take a few years.

Best players in history...are you actually joking? Right now, the players that are considered as being the best are actually pretty bad. Yes they're extremely fit, yes they're fast, yes they're agile, yes they're better than most other players of this current generation...but they're actually quite bad. Better does not mean good, just because you're the best player out of a thousand rubbish players, doesn't make you good. These modern superstars have no flair, no extraordinary talents. They compensate by high levels of fitness and pace, that's pretty much it, that's how players are trained now, to be physically dominant. There are no more playmakers nowadays. No master tacticians. No geniuses with natural flair and talent. That's why football sucks dick now. The top players are boring to watch. The sport as a whole is just so rubbish and boring now. I don't find any enjoyment watching it any more, it just sucks.
Original post by Stinkum
I was giving a very rough estimate there, not exact, give or take a few years.

Best players in history...are you actually joking? Right now, the players that are considered as being the best are actually pretty bad. Yes they're extremely fit, yes they're fast, yes they're agile, yes they're better than most other players of this current generation...but they're actually quite bad. Better does not mean good, just because you're the best player out of a thousand rubbish players, doesn't make you good. These modern superstars have no flair, no extraordinary talents. They compensate by high levels of fitness and pace, that's pretty much it, that's how players are trained now, to be physically dominant. There are no more playmakers nowadays. No master tacticians. No geniuses with natural flair and talent. That's why football sucks dick now. The top players are boring to watch. The sport as a whole is just so rubbish and boring now. I don't find any enjoyment watching it any more, it just sucks.

Messi? Iniesta? Over the last 10 years there's also been Zidane, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Sneijder, Figo, Henry, Ronaldo (Brazilian). All incredible players, with natural flair and talent.

Cristiano Ronaldo's ability can be partly put down to physique but he's also talented.

Quick Reply

Latest