The Student Room Group

IGCSE Revision Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

I found chemistry the hardest so far, then again it isn't my best subject. Am I the only one who's looking forward to biology?! :eek: there must be someone else who likes it too... :biggrin:
Original post by AppleBlossoms
I found chemistry the hardest so far, then again it isn't my best subject. Am I the only one who's looking forward to biology?! :eek: there must be someone else who likes it too... :biggrin:

omg how?! I am dreading biology I cannot stand it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ella_chloe
omg how?! I am dreading biology I cannot stand it

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you hate it *gasp* biology is just so interesting :biggrin:
How can you hate it *gasp* biology is just so interesting :biggrin:

there is just too much to learn I like chem and phys tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
there is just too much to learn I like chem and phys tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't mind physics but chemistry is my nemisis! Some parts can be interesting but I just don't get how knowing fractional distillation of crude oil will help me in life :s-smilie: useless info imo
Don't mind physics but chemistry is my nemisis! Some parts can be interesting but I just don't get how knowing fractional distillation of crude oil will help me in life :s-smilie: useless info imo

haha physics is more interesting finding out how things work, dont have a clue why I like chemistry though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
haha physics is more interesting finding out how things work, dont have a clue why I like chemistry though haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol yeah physics is interesting. How did you find the paper today?
Reply 27
Original post by nurav11
It was ok Altho not sure why there were like six 5 markers and very few calculations. Probably I reckon I consistently dropped marks here and there but nothing that was like 'I have no idea'. History tomorrow now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god i know!! It was stupidbasically just essays lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol yeah physics is interesting. How did you find the paper today?

ngl I think it went quite well except 5b, will not say detail because of the 12hr rule can message u :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by LiviL97
Oh god i know!! It was stupidbasically just essays lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

The worst thing is, they give you way too much space to write in yet I feel like I have to fill up the lines fully or otherwise I haven't written enough. At least that's my ocd right there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
The worst thing is, they give you way too much space to write in yet I feel like I have to fill up the lines fully or otherwise I haven't written enough. At least that's my ocd right there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha that's what I felt too. I kept thinking I want to fill it up!
Reply 31
Haha that's what I felt too. I kept thinking I want to fill it up!

Physics is such a waffly subject so somehow i do! Never gives me full marks tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
Physics is such a waffly subject so somehow i do! Never gives me full marks tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they just give you marks for info not waffle, ahh the temptation of writing more - so hard to resist! Are you doing Double Award or seperate? I'm doing Double Award
Reply 33
No they just give you marks for info not waffle, ahh the temptation of writing more - so hard to resist! Are you doing Double Award or seperate? I'm doing Double Award

I'm doing separate but what's the difference? I'm not entirely sure...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
I'm doing separate but what's the difference? I'm not entirely sure...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Double Award involves just paper 1 of each science and you come out with 2 grades. It covers less material than the Seperate sciences but more than core science. Core=1 grade, double award=2 grades, seperate = 3 grades
Reply 35
Double Award involves just paper 1 of each science and you come out with 2 grades. It covers less material than the Seperate sciences but more than core science. Core=1 grade, double award=2 grades, seperate = 3 grades

Oh right, but doesn't that mean that you sit 3 papers in 3 separate subjects yet you''re only given grades for 2 of them? Does that mean your worst grade gets eliminated or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
Oh right, but doesn't that mean that you sit 3 papers in 3 separate subjects yet you''re only given grades for 2 of them? Does that mean your worst grade gets eliminated or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats why I am sad you get an average of all three, I hate biology and have to spend time on it whereas I wouldnt if I wasnt doing double award :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11

Posted from TSR Mobile

No all the marks for each paper gets added up and the total mark determines which grade you get. For example if I get 70/120 in chem, 70/120 in physics and 90/120 in biology I get 230 which would be an A,B (in the present grade boundary). However I could also get 80/120 in chem, 50/120 in physics and 100 in biology and still get 230, I'd just have to do really well in biology to make up for the bad mark in physics.

I'm hoping for A, A but will settle with A,B
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
No all the marks for each paper gets added up and the total mark determines which grade you get. For example if I get 70/120 in chem, 70/120 in physics and 90/120 in biology I get 230 which would be an A,B (in the present grade boundary). However I could also get 80/120 in chem, 50/120 in physics and 100 in biology and still get 230, I'd just have to do really well in biology to make up for the bad mark in physics.

I'm hoping for A, A but will settle with A,B

Ah got ya, seems unnecessary because I don't think the paper 2 is that much harder than the paper 1, tbh with this year's physics itll probs be easier. But I guess it sort of covers up a weak science if you have another strong science to go over it, and with double award what's the a* boundary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
thats why I am sad you get an average of all three, I hate biology and have to spend time on it whereas I wouldnt if I wasnt doing double award :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

But at least if u muck up on bio, you can make up for it in chem or physics whereas I just gotta try and nail the paper 2 as best I can if I fail the paper 1 which will be harder :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest