The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nice spin by UKIP.

We have seen a fall in workers from Bulgaria and Romania. Contrary to UKIP's claims that a tidal wave would come over...

Of course, this comes as no surprise to those of sound mind - we had been disputing UKIP's lies for ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Meanwhile, 320,000 people emigrated over the same period, meaning our net workforce has barely changed at all, at least excluding death/retirement/etc.

Stay classy, UKIP.
Original post by Dez
Meanwhile, 320,000 people emigrated over the same period, meaning our net workforce has barely changed at all, at least excluding death/retirement/etc.

Stay classy, UKIP.

Source ?
Reply 4
Original post by Green Marble
Source ?

Just Googling, pretty much just an estimate though. There's no direct sources for UKIP's claim so it's not clear what period they mean exactly.
Original post by Dez
Just Googling, pretty much just an estimate though. There's no direct sources for UKIP's claim so it's not clear what period they mean exactly.

So you don't know how many people migrated out of the uk nor do you know the context of that figure. You made it up basically
Reply 6
So you don't know how many people migrated out of the uk nor do you know the context of that figure. You made it up basically

Er, no. I just picked a ballpark figure. The exact number doesn't matter, it's not going to be so significantly far out that it doesn't cancel out a fair proportion of the immigration numbers. The point was that UKIP are basically misleading people by not taking consideration of all the variables in their claim.
Original post by Dez
Er, no. I just picked a ballpark figure. The exact number doesn't matter, it's not going to be so significantly far out that it doesn't cancel out a fair proportion of the immigration numbers. The point was that UKIP are basically misleading people by not taking consideration of all the variables in their claim.

Your point is that you do not have any evidence whatsoever ever to challenge UKIP figures
320,000 people emigrated from the UK in the year to September 2013. These are the most recent figures but the next quarterly ones showing the year up to December 2013 will be out next week.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/february-2014/index.html
Reply 9
Your point is that you do not have any evidence whatsoever ever to challenge UKIP figures

I'm not challenging their figures, I'm challenging their representation of the facts. If I could be bothered to trawl through the ONS to paint a more exact picture I would, but to be quite frank I don't have the time. UKIP's painting a skewed picture to scaremonger people, you don't need exact numbers to see that.

They are not UKIP figures, they are ONS figures. I think that with regards to the figures on Bulgarian and Romanian workers, UKIP has used the figures in a misleading way.

UKIP are saying that there has been a rise in the number of Bulgarian and Romanian workers. While it is true that there was an increase before restrictions were lifted, it is important to point out that since 1 January 2014, there has been a fall in workers from these two countries.

A reason for this may be that restrictions in every other EU member state also came to an end on this date and, as many predicted, Bulrgarians and Romanians went to places like Germany to work instead.

Of course UKIP will not want to discuss this. It is embarrassing for them to admit that warnings of a tidal wave of workers into the country was all a lie.
Original post by InnerTemple
They are not UKIP figures, they are ONS figures. I think that with regards to the figures on Bulgarian and Romanian workers, UKIP has used the figures in a misleading way.

UKIP are saying that there has been a rise in the number of Bulgarian and Romanian workers. While it is true that there was an increase before restrictions were lifted, it is important to point out that since 1 January 2014, there has been a fall in workers from these two countries.

A reason for this may be that restrictions in every other EU member state also came to an end on this date and, as many predicted, Bulrgarians and Romanians went to places like Germany to work instead.

Of course UKIP will not want to discuss this. It is embarrassing for them to admit that warnings of a tidal wave of workers into the country was all a lie.

my my neighbourhood has turned into a roma gypsy ghetto so no I do not regard there representation of these figures as a lie
If all these foreigners are coming over here and stealing our jobs, then how the hell is unemployment falling?

It's enough to make any not tied to political dogma challenge their beliefs.
Original post by Quantex
If all these foreigners are coming over here and stealing our jobs, then how the hell is unemployment falling?

It's enough to make any not tied to political dogma challenge their beliefs.

Rise in part time working maybe ? Rise in zero hour contracts etc ??
my my neighbourhood has turned into a roma gypsy ghetto so no I do not regard there representation of these figures as a lie

So you have questioned everyone in your are who you think is a Roma Gypsie and established:

a) when they entered the country
b) if they are indeed a Roma Gypsie

I think not.

Which may well be the case, but levels of unemployment tend to correlate with the health of the economy, rather than levels of migration. Pointing the figure at migrants , as many find easy to do, misses the broader economic picture.
In a hyper capitalist economy like Britain human beings have no intrinsic value. They are reduced to mere economic units.

This is the driving force behind mass immigration.
Reply 17

Hold the phone. First you criticise me for asserting something without providing details, now you're spouting out all this rubbish without any justifcation/backup whatsoever? Hypocrisy much?
Original post by Dez
Hold the phone. First you criticise me for asserting something without providing details, now you're spouting out all this rubbish without any justifcation/backup whatsoever? Hypocrisy much?

No because i did not make an assertion. I made it clear that I was hypothesising I.e. Where I said MAYBE and then question mark
Original post by Dez

Stay classy, UKIP.

Have you looked at the type of people leaving the UK? Lets just say they certainly won't be requiring benefits from their destination country.

So we swap wealthy Brits for uneducated Eastern European immigrants. Greaaaaaaaaaat!
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending