The Student Room Group

Personal statement help!!

Shall i do a paragraph each for each section? E.g like 'why i want to choose the course' in one paragraph and skills in another and then 'hobbies and interest?'

I dont know how to set it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
Shall i do a paragraph each for each section? E.g like 'why i want to choose the course' in one paragraph and skills in another and then 'hobbies and interest?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Setting it out in paragraphs is a good idea, makes it easier to read, and avoids you saying too much about one thing, if you're splitting it relatively evenly :smile: Also, don't forget to mention any relevant work experience :smile:
Original post by Tappouni
Setting it out in paragraphs is a good idea, makes it easier to read, and avoids you saying too much about one thing, if you're splitting it relatively evenly :smile: Also, don't forget to mention any relevant work experience :smile:

Thank you :smile: shall i start each paragraph with a starter for e.g ''my hobbies are...''

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you :smile: shall i start each paragraph with a starter for e.g ''my hobbies are...''

Posted from TSR Mobile

At this stage, it really doesn't matter. Just write whatever you want however you like. You could even just write separate paragraphs without thinking of how it will flow overall. You'll end up editing it so many times that most things you write now won't make the final version.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah as Juno said, just worry about the content for now, and worry about things like how to start paragraphs later on...I went through so many drafts doing mine :tongue:
Original post by Juno
At this stage, it really doesn't matter. Just write whatever you want however you like. You could even just write separate paragraphs without thinking of how it will flow overall. You'll end up editing it so many times that most things you write now won't make the final version.

When is the final deadline for first year students? My teacher said 26th June:/ do you think they're just trying to get us to start it because the Ucas deadline is after the summer holidays?

Thanks
Reply 6
When is the final deadline for first year students? My teacher said 26th June:/ do you think they're just trying to get us to start it because the Ucas deadline is after the summer holidays?

Thanks

UCAS Applications for 2015 entry don't have to be in till January 15th for most, or October 15th if you're a Oxbridge or Medicine/Veterinary/Dentistry applicant :tongue:

Your school probably just wants to make sure you're thinking about it, because you can't rush the personal statement. Or it might be the same as in our school where they organised practice interviews near the end of Yr12, so we needed a personal statement for those :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Thanks

TBH, it's more that you have something on paper. For most schools, they will really make you craft your PS (unless your Oxbridge or medicine which would be a more intense process) after you get back from the holidays. The first deadline in most cases it to get people thinking about the university process.
Reply 8

Thanks

Tht's just a school thing. There's no such thing as a deadline for first year students - the only deadline is the actual UCAS deadline for equal consideration of January 15th (or October for Oxbridge and medics). It's good idea to start early, but you've still got 8 months and will change and mature a lot in that time. Most people won't start their statement until they go back to school in September, although some may start thinking about it towards the end of the summer holidays.

So what you're writing now is great, but you don't need to get too hung up on the small details.
Original post by Juno
Tht's just a school thing. There's no such thing as a deadline for first year students - the only deadline is the actual UCAS deadline for equal consideration of January 15th (or October for Oxbridge and medics). It's good idea to start early, but you've still got 8 months and will change and mature a lot in that time. Most people won't start their statement until they go back to school in September, although some may start thinking about it towards the end of the summer holidays.

So what you're writing now is great, but you don't need to get too hung up on the small details.

Ah okay. Are you on first year too? & my tutor said she wants the draft in two weeks:eek:
Reply 10
Ah okay. Are you on first year too? & my tutor said she wants the draft in two weeks:eek:

No, I'm a PS Helper which means I'm a bit past that stage :smile:
This will be an internal school deadline to get you started on the process. It will be worked on for a few months before it is in any shape to use, so just get a few things down on paper to get the ball rolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do it in Word first - you can then copy and paste it into the Ucas form at the appropriate time.

Paragraphs always good. My suggestion would be:

Opening para : why you are serious about wanting to study the subject at degree level

Para 2 : why you are serious about wanting to study the subject at degree level

Para 3 : why you are serious about wanting to study the subject at degree level

Last Para ; why you are serious about wanting to study the subject at degree level

To paraphrase Bill Clinton "it's the subject, stupid"

Seriously your PS needs to be very subject focused, and one that makes you stand out (in a good way). Hobbies are just a waste of limited characters and are akin to writing "reject pile please". Work experience ? - unless you can demonstrate a direct and strong link with the degree you want to apply for again more a hindrance than a help.

Try not to get pushed down a formulaic route by your school, or pushed into meeting meaningless timelines. UCAS are very clear on the actual deadlines, and whilst school do need some advance time we're talking a couple of weeks not months in advance.

If you are going to open days really listen to what admission tutors actually say they want to see in a PS.

Above all it is YOUR personal statement. The clue is in the title.
Original post by ooh-la-laa
Seriously your PS needs to be very subject focused, and one that makes you stand out (in a good way). Hobbies are just a waste of limited characters and are akin to writing "reject pile please". Work experience ? - unless you can demonstrate a direct and strong link with the degree you want to apply for again more a hindrance than a help.

Definitely needs to be fairly strongly weighted on subject-related content, and relevant work experience...but hobbies/extra-curricular activities are not a waste of space! They want to see you as a well rounded person, so if you do things such as voluntary work, play sports, or a musical instrument (in an orchestra is good)..mention it - they're examples of teamwork, and shows that as an individual, you do more than just read up about your subject. It's of course important that you do, but they'll want to see a well rounded individual, so mention things like that!

And work experience isn't a hindrance. If you've got experience of working in the field you want to go into, that's definitely a positive thing. If you apply for Biochemistry for example, if you've had work experience in a lab, and you can write about it and show what you got out of that work experience, you're showing you've got a genuine interest in the subject. I found it's easier to put across a genuine interest when you've actually experienced it for yourself :smile:
Definitely needs to be fairly strongly weighted on subject-related content, and relevant work experience...but hobbies/extra-curricular activities are not a waste of space! They want to see you as a well rounded person, so if you do things such as voluntary work, play sports, or a musical instrument (in an orchestra is good)..mention it - they're examples of teamwork, and shows that as an individual, you do more than just read up about your subject. It's of course important that you do, but they'll want to see a well rounded individual, so mention things like that!

/QUOTE]

Where do you get this "well-rounded" rubbish from? Elite Uni's have no interest in your hobbies, or extra curriculars unless very strongly linked with the subject applied.
Where do you get this "well-rounded" rubbish from? Elite Uni's have no interest in your hobbies, or extra curriculars unless very strongly linked with the subject applied.

What makes you think it's rubbish?

Take a look here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/applying-to-university/personal-statements/perfecting-your-personal-statement/

That's three good sections to split a personal statement into: academic interests, career interests and extra-curricular interests :smile:

Not sure whether LSE is Elite enough for you, but a quote from their website...

"The Admissions Tutors at LSE are interested in well rounded students, i.e. students who can also show keen interest in activities outside of their academic life"

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/makingAnApplication/personalStatement/writingYourPersonalStatement.aspx
Not sure whether LSE is Elite enough for you, but a quote from their website...

"The Admissions Tutors at LSE are interested in well rounded students, i.e. students who can also show keen interest in activities outside of their academic life"

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/makingAnApplication/personalStatement/writingYourPersonalStatement.aspx

Frankly no - given the offer I've firmed is Cambridge

My insurance is Durham. I take your point on what the websites say - Durham says has similar words on theirs. However go to an Open Day and the admission tutors will say something very different in terms of what they are looking for, and not looking for, on a PS.
Frankly no - given the offer I've firmed is Cambridge

My insurance is Durham. I take your point on what the websites say - Durham says has similar words on theirs. However go to an Open Day and the admission tutors will say something very different in terms of what they are looking for, and not looking for, on a PS.

Well done for getting an offer from Cambridge :biggrin: Perhaps I've just heard different things then, having firmed Nottingham with Warwick as my insurance...I didn't actually go to a PS talk at Warwick, but at Nottingham they recommended mentioning about extra-curricular activities you do :smile:
Well done for getting an offer from Cambridge :biggrin: Perhaps I've just heard different things then, having firmed Nottingham with Warwick as my insurance...I didn't actually go to a PS talk at Warwick, but at Nottingham they recommended mentioning about extra-curricular activities you do :smile:

Offer from Nottingham too. Message there (for that subject, and it may well vary at the same Uni between different subjects) was the same only include extra curriculars if you can demo link and relevance. That said I think having one line in the PS saying you enjoy x, y, z is fine - I think the danger is that 4,000 characters is not really that many and having entire para's on things that are pretty irrelevant can be a dangerous strategy.

As for Cambridge the offer is great but still need to the results at A2 :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending