The Student Room Group

Difficulty in making Friends

Hello,

I am currently fed up with my situation in that I have no decent friends. I sometimes go out with two people for a pint but the problem is they just talk about themselves, talk about stupid things and not the kind of people who you can have a laugh with.

I have one or twice gone out with two people from Uni, but its very much a three's a crowd thing so I have stopped contacting them.

In order to try and make decent friends since I left Uni (yes, I know I should have joined clubs at uni) I have joined a number of clubs such as Badminton, Tennis, Chess and Spice (a social activites group - Manchester).
The problem is when I have been to them, there are always older people there and nobody in their 20's (apart from me).
I went to numerous activities within Spice such as Bowling, Laser Quest, Nights out in Manchester and Pool but ran in to the same problem, I was the youngest there (I'm 24) and the next age up was around 40! I prefer to meet people my own age.

Can anybody suggest any clubs where they are a decent mix of ages?

Thanks
Reply 1
The two people you sometimes have drink with: have you tried going out with them a bit more with their friendship group, and trying to latch onto others? And it may sound silly, but websites such as MySpace can actually be good inspiration. Seeing what other people in your area do might give you inspiration. Or even a friend if you get talking to some of them.

I know how it feels though. Chin up!
Some people are happy with just one true friend, or some are extremely popular with a group of friends. Sometimes interests can differ therefore you might find it diffifcult to make friends, whether they are older or younger. Lacking friends is very unhappy situtation as this can mean lead people to be more vulnerable and experiencing low self esteem. Anyway expand your oppurtunities of making friends by joining local clubs e.g swimming, football, snooker etc.
Reply 3
don't worry, having friends is overrated anyway,
Reply 4
joining a local drama group might be good, there's a good mixture of ages at mine or perhaps some voluntary work may be a good chance to meet people and do agood thing. if you work perhaps try and be more sociable with workmates.
You sound like a decent bloke, no reason why you should be lacking friends. Anyway, I know all too well about the 'three's a crowd thing'. Try talking to those uni guys, try to meet their friends etc... sorry im not much help.

Latest

Trending

Trending