The Student Room Group

Science Student for English Literature!?

Please hear me out, I need opinions from y'all, thank you so much.

(also I'm not sure if I'm in the right thread, I literally just joined today)

So, I'm applying this coming cycle, as an international student (Indian national who's been educated all my life at a British School in Malaysia) for English Literature. I've listed out my profile below, and if you could take a look, and maybe tell me my chances, I'd honestly be grateful to you.

GCSEs: I did IGCSEs, which are claimed to be a bit harder (which I don't believe in, but meh) and that's what I'm mainly worried about, as British students have wonderful GCSEs, and I obviously...don't.

English:
A*
English Literature: A*
Mathematics: A
ICT: A
Biology: A
Global Perspectives: B
Chemistry: B
Physics: B
Statistics: B

AS/A Levels

In Malaysia, A-Levels are a eighteen month course, and I would take my AS in December, basically meaning they wouldn't be 'cashed in' by the time I apply, so everyone here usually gets in with their predicted grades. Here are mine:

Biology: A
Psychology: A
Mathematics: A
English Literature: A*
Chemistry: B

I'm basically worried about my taking mostly sciences, and how most applicants would have many Arts A-Levels under their belts? Also, I don't want the B getting a bad rep, so maybe I might even drop Chemistry after AS?

The circumstances for my English Literature are also that both my high school and college don't allow "Science Students" to take English Literature classes, in that traditional Asian stigma that "Medicine and Engineering bound" kids won't really need anything else, however, I decided I was going to apply for English Literature because that's what I'd been hoping for, and that's the subject I can see myself doing (on the other hand, i really can't see myself as a doctor).

So basically what I'm saying is that my English Literature results for both my predicted grades and also my GCSE grade, is the result of self-study, instead of going for classes at school. I've got reasonable experience, and a great reference, and I just hope I can get it.

Here comes the funny bit. I'm applying to:

Oxford - I know I won't get in, I don't have the slightest chance to, but my dad thought that it was worth at least a try.
Durham - I've loved Durham U since I was a kid, and it's always sounded brilliant. It would literally be a dream to get in.
St Andrews - Worth a try.
Exeter -As with Durham, always, always loved the place.
Royal Holloway - I have a feeling the most chance I have is with this place?

People keep saying I shouldn't worry too much, I have the "international kid wanting to study English Lit" edge, but I'm not quite sure about it. Could you please go over this, and tell me if it's all right, and whether I even stand a small chance of getting in?
I've asked for your thread to be moved into the English forum (where all the English lit experts lurk :biggrin:).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563 is stickied in this forum and worth a read.

My initial thoughts would be that the fact that you've self-studied and got great grades in english lit so far with little to no support will work very much in your favour. It is worth speaking to your UCAS referee and asking them to mention this explicitly in your reference (it sounds better coming from them and leaves you more space in your PS to talk about texts)

The only concern that I imagine there *might* be would be around the "lack" of essay based subjects in your A levels. Obviously studying English at uni involves doing a lot of reading and also a lot of essay writing so it might be worthwhile emphasising in your PS something around time management and a situation where you have demonstrated being able to cope with large volumes of essay type work.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I've asked for your thread to be moved into the English forum (where all the English lit experts lurk :biggrin:).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563 is stickied in this forum and worth a read.

My initial thoughts would be that the fact that you've self-studied and got great grades in english lit so far with little to no support will work very much in your favour. It is worth speaking to your UCAS referee and asking them to mention this explicitly in your reference (it sounds better coming from them and leaves you more space in your PS to talk about texts)

The only concern that I imagine there *might* be would be around the "lack" of essay based subjects in your A levels. Obviously studying English at uni involves doing a lot of reading and also a lot of essay writing so it might be worthwhile emphasising in your PS something around time management and a situation where you have demonstrated being able to cope with large volumes of essay type work.

THANK YOU!
Yeah, i was honestly worried about that, but Psychology is an essay-based subject...well, sort of, I was hoping. Yeah, I'm going to get my referee to mention the lack of Literature classes thing, hopefully it'll work in my advantage.

Thanks so much again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending