The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I would say that Cambridge does look for a spark as well. 5 of my friends also applied to Cambridge and they were all academically more impressive than I am- they got straight a*s at GCSE, straight As at AS level, plus they did loads of extra-curricular stuff, had grade 8 in various instruments etc etc, whereas I didn't. Yet they were all rejected after the interview because they didn't express themselves well orally, they didn't seem enthusiastic when they spoke and they don't let their personalities come across (according to the interview feedback form the school requested). I got in because of the interview and the LNAT exam and my DOS says it's because I came across as very enthusiastic and I wasn't afraid to argue with the interviewer. hehe :p: In my opinion they made the wrong decision- my friends are much more intelligent than I am and I am finding my course and everything extremely difficult :frown:

By the way, Caius doesn't give out EE offers. The lowest is AAB, but that happens very rarely.
Reply 381
pendragon
Its not unfounded speculation, its a conclusion based on speaking with quite a lot of Oxbridge people and also senior people in top schools who have sent many people they think are Oxbridge material to both places with the result that more of them got into Cambridge, and that some incredible students were turned down by Oxford while others who were not expected to have such a good chance did get in.
Ok, founded speculation, then. :rolleyes: Speculation all the same. My own experience based on the 15 or so people who applied to Oxford and Cambridge from my school was that:

The people with the best grades applied to Cambridge, and a couple didn't get in. One who got an offer had fairly mediocre GCSEs (two A*s, I think), although he then failed to meet his offer by a long way so ended up going somewhere else. The other who didn't get in was rejected outright for Modern Languages despite being very capable - probably tied for best in the school, and we had some great linguists. His grades were pretty good across the board, so I can only assume he messed up his interview.

Lots of people with ok grades tried their luck with Oxford, and they all didn't get in. Of the two people who did get in, one had extremely good grades, and the other had good A-levels but bad GCSEs, but did well at interview and in the subject-specific test.

Based on the year above me, one exceptional student almost got rejected from Cambridge medicine but was pooled. On paper he could match anyone.

I think I could quite easily make up some internally consistent but totally bogus theory based on all this, but it wouldn't be very accurate and it wouldn't fit in with other people's different but equally valid anecdotal experience. Coincidentally, my school, despite having much experience in sending kids to Oxbridge, did not direct people towards Cambridge or Oxford - they let people choose for themselves. This suggests to me that they saw Oxford and Cambridge as both looking for similar qualities in their students.

Regarding the fallibility of admissions, I agree with you wholeheartedly and always have. The only thing we disagree on seems to be that you think Cambridge's admissions process relies on interviews to a lesser extent than Oxford - I don't think you'll find many Cambridge students who agree with you on this, particularly not the ones who boast about getting in with no A*s at GCSE etc. etc.

Pendragon
Considering many other uni's ask for 3 A's asking for AAB was traditionally a vote of confidence in an applicant, the reason they have had to stop doing this as much is because it prejudices the institution in league tables. But they still do give AAB offers, in my year I got an AAA offer and the two historians the admissions tutors obviously liked best (one went on to get a 1st) were given AAB. Kings College, London faces the same problem they like to give people AAB offers even though they expect 3A's and can fill up most of their places with them. It has traditionally been a goodwill thing to put less pressure on people who they have already judged to be top students. My history teacher at school was from the generation when Oxford gave out EE offers (which is the offer he got), if you really think that Oxford students in those days often had EE then you are incredibly misguided. I think this whole thing about the asking offers is mystifying the question, it has nothing to do with the judgements of the people I have spoken to - my Oxbridge friends, people in the HK Oxford and Cambridge Soc, and housemasters et al in schools.
Yeah, I'm well aware of this practice. There is a big difference between giving an EE offer as a vote of confidence and giving an AAB offer because it is more realistic, however. I don't know which other unis you are referring to when you say that others asked for AAA - from memory there were none aside from Cambridge back in 2002.

Pendragon
It is true that Oxford will sometimes choose somebody less good on paper who appears to have a spark and unusual passion for their subject over a better qualified candidate who is impressive at interview. One might characterise it as the arts approach, while Cambridge is more scientific and objective in its admissions.
Well, I think you probably know what I think about that!
Reply 382
pendragon
Well I would say if you are very strong on paper, but not so great orally then apply to Cambridge, and if you are weak on paper but think you will do well at interview go for Oxford.

If other people don’t believe this that is up to them, at the end of the day everyone makes their own decision and takes their chances. People who have already gotten in like to present a picture that its a clear, fair and uniform system that gets it right 99% of the time and has no room for Machiavelli's fortuna . Well that is a great thing to think if you are at Oxbridge isn't it? I am here because I am better than all the people who got rejected.

My own experience suggests that its not all so clear cut, and that there is always an element of luck involved - I know plenty of Oxbridge students who aren't all that bright and don't deserve to be there, and quite a few people who were rejected who are at least as intelligent as the people I went to college with.

So I am not really talking to Oxbridge people who disagree with me here, but to people thinking of applying who I feel it my duty to present what is in my experience the truth so that for those that want to hear it they are not simply left with the typical university propaganda which self-interested Oxbridge students love to repeat because it makes them feel good about themselves.

I get that general idea as well but I still have a lot of research to do. Perhaps it's true that in the end it doesn't make a difference which one I choose to apply to - admissions wise - but I've just reviewed my school stats and the admission rates are about the same for both Universities. I guess it'll all boil down, ultimately, to which of the two I prefer. The element of luck is an important one, however, I'd like to reduce my dependency on that element as much as possible (e.g. personal statement, etc.). I'm also looking to major in Law, if that triggers any advice you might like to share? :biggrin:
Reply 383
I'm at Gonville and Caius college doing law, and I would recommend it here. In Oxford they have a strange thing, in law at least, where they take all the exams at the end of the third year, which means that you will have to revise 3 years worth of work in your last year. At my interview I had a couple of problem questions to talk through (because there isn't any one answer) and they asked about my personal statement a little. Also for law you take an LNAT test which tests your type of thinking to see if you'll be a good lawyer. My result on that is one of the reasons why I got in, since my grades aren't anything special. I would recommend trying to do well on that, although you can't exactly revise for it. Here we have the most amazing criminal law lecturer too- he's called Graham Virgo. Worth coming just for him :p:
sTe\/o
Ok, founded speculation, then. :rolleyes: Speculation all the same. My own experience based on the 15 or so people who applied to Oxford and Cambridge from my school was that:

The people with the best grades applied to Cambridge, and a couple didn't get in. One who got an offer had fairly mediocre GCSEs (two A*s, I think), although he then failed to meet his offer by a long way so ended up going somewhere else. The other who didn't get in was rejected outright for Modern Languages despite being very capable - probably tied for best in the school, and we had some great linguists. His grades were pretty good across the board, so I can only assume he messed up his interview.

Lots of people with ok grades tried their luck with Oxford, and they all didn't get in. Of the two people who did get in, one had extremely good grades, and the other had good A-levels but bad GCSEs, but did well at interview and in the subject-specific test.

Based on the year above me, one exceptional student almost got rejected from Cambridge medicine but was pooled. On paper he could match anyone.

I think I could quite easily make up some internally consistent but totally bogus theory based on all this, but it wouldn't be very accurate and it wouldn't fit in with other people's different but equally valid anecdotal experience. Coincidentally, my school, despite having much experience in sending kids to Oxbridge, did not direct people towards Cambridge or Oxford - they let people choose for themselves. This suggests to me that they saw Oxford and Cambridge as both looking for similar qualities in their students.

Regarding the fallibility of admissions, I agree with you wholeheartedly and always have. The only thing we disagree on seems to be that you think Cambridge's admissions process relies on interviews to a lesser extent than Oxford - I don't think you'll find many Cambridge students who agree with you on this, particularly not the ones who boast about getting in with no A*s at GCSE etc. etc.

Yeah, I'm well aware of this practice. There is a big difference between giving an EE offer as a vote of confidence and giving an AAB offer because it is more realistic, however. I don't know which other unis you are referring to when you say that others asked for AAA - from memory there were none aside from Cambridge back in 2002.

Well, I think you probably know what I think about that!

So basically you just think its harder to get into Cambridge in absolute terms. What a suprising view for someone who went to Cambridge. :rolleyes:
Reply 385
pendragon
So basically you just think its harder to get into Cambridge in absolute terms. What a suprising view for someone who went to Cambridge. :rolleyes:

Nope, actually. I used to think that, but I realise now that my opinion was based on very limited anecdotal evidence. There are plenty of people from other schools who could tell the same tale as mine but with the words Oxford and Cambridge switched around.
Reply 386
let's just say it's equally difficult and cut the squabbling :p: Neither of you has any hard evidence, it's all anecdotal, and obviously if you're at oxford you'll say it's harder to get in there, and if you're at cambridge you'll say otherwise. I'd say there is little or no difference between their standards.
Reply 387
If I can get this clear, all I've been trying to argue is that Oxford and Cambridge are equally hard to get into and place similar emphasis on tests and interviews (and this latter point is where Pendragon and I disagreed). I'm not trying to make Cambridge look good and Oxford bad.
Reply 388
ahh sorry. In that case I agree with you :p:
I disagree with what pendragon says about the emphasis on paper/spark. Dismissing all my anecdotal evidence which disagrees with him, and there's a lot of that including myself, Cambridge interview most candidates whereas Oxford get rid of a load before interview. If you are worse than many other candidates on paper - surely you are much more likely to get an interview and have the chance to shine at Cambridge than an Oxford where you may be cut before you get that far?

Firz, what you need to do is look at the differences between the courses, because there are quite a few for that particular subject, and visit both Oxford and Cambridge and see which one you prefer, after a visit most people prefer one or the other.
Reply 390
-x-Nina-x-
Firz, what you need to do is look at the differences between the courses, because there are quite a few for that particular subject, and visit both Oxford and Cambridge and see which one you prefer, after a visit most people prefer one or the other.

Hmm I'm planning on possibly visiting over the summer, so hopefully that might help me choose either one of the two :biggrin:

Also, the other day I was reading information from both sites - apparently Cambridge has a Tripos system where exams are taken throughout the 3 years while Oxford's has it all at the end (which makes me a bit uneasy). If I get the opportunity I'd probably like to do the 4 year degree where 1 year is done overseas.

At the moment I'm studying under the American system though, exams in the next few weeks!! :eek:
Reply 391
The MML tripos is much better at camb than oxford, thats why I will be applying
Economics @ Cambridge? What A-levels did you do?
its name sounds great. like it
Reply 394
Bien
The MML tripos is much better at camb than oxford, thats why I will be applying

Yeah I agree, Oxford is VERY literature orientated, whereas the Cambridge tripos offers a lot more flexibility.
rich89
I'm genuinely curious as to what reasons you give for why you applied to Oxford over Cambridge and vice versa. Name your course, college and why you chose your university etc. would be quite interesting to see. :smile:

Cambridge cos they have pure Econ corse and the scene is better.
Firz
Also, the other day I was reading information from both sites - apparently Cambridge has a Tripos system where exams are taken throughout the 3 years while Oxford's has it all at the end (which makes me a bit uneasy).

Actually Oxford has two lots of exams -- mods or prelims take place at some point in the first or second year. And once you've graduated from Cambridge you'll only normally quote your final year result, so it ends up pretty much the same.
Reply 397
Alexander
Actually Oxford has two lots of exams -- mods or prelims take place at some point in the first or second year.

Well... prelims/mods don't count towards your final degree- like most universities, its a question of passing them to stay on beyond your first year. AFAIK, passing parts in the tripos means passing part of the degree as a whole I thought?
Several subjects do have part-finals in the second year at Oxford which are part of the final mark. Also many have some sort of coursework component which is started in the second year.
I know this might seem a bit weird but I'm CERTAIN that I heard an Oxford rep saying the exact opposite regards the exam system in a talk I went to at a Higher Education convention. The reason why is, because she kept blabbing on about how she preferred Oxford's system as you could sit exams at the end of every year UNLIKE Cambridge. (I know this is wrong, but it's the way it stuck in my head - strange!)

Latest

Trending

Trending