The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 07cdominic
I applied to Oxford over Cambridge for medicine, because I didn't want to stress about my UMS. I regret it massively! My BMAT was the only reason that I didn't make it from their initial shortlist of 575 to the final shortlist of 425. If I had applied to Cambridge I would have gotten an interview with my BMAT score because people with lower ones did. People with worse UMS than me also got interviews. At least then I would have had a second chance to prove myself at interview. Unless you're guaranteed of a perfect BMAT score don't apply to Oxford for medicine!

It's interesting, people always look at Cambridge as harder to get into and then go for Oxford and it ends up being counterproductive. For me, I decided I'd rather be rejected from somewhere I loved than accepted into somewhere I hated
Yeah I wasn't too bothered - I liked both of them equally so I chose based off practicality and ended up regretting it anyways sooo
Oxford offered my course in single honours. I didn't get in, and now I'm not studying single honours any more, so in hindsight, I probably would have gone for Cambridge instead, although my UMS was distinctly average.
I preferred the course slightly more at Oxford because composition and performance seemed to play a stronger role (although admittedly it's still not huge but I definitely wouldn't want to be 100% comp or performance anyway). A few of the modules were a little bit different. The A* also put me off, but I also have no GCSEs (but w extenuating circumstances + extremely bad school where no one did GCSE). I also liked Oxford better as a city and it's closer to my family (and to London) :tongue:
Sorry for being off-topic but why is it better to apply to Oxford with relatively bad GCSEs?
Never been to the unis to study but been to both cities and Cambridge is by far the nicest
Original post by Sandtrooper
Oxford offered my course in single honours. I didn't get in, and now I'm not studying single honours any more, so in hindsight, I probably would have gone for Cambridge instead, although my UMS was distinctly average.

Have heard that the nightlife is better in Oxford

Latest

Trending

Trending