The Student Room Group

An honest, holistic review regarding UCL Mech. Eng. Department

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
I study Maths. What are your predicted grades and attained grades? Apart from UCL they are quite low universities considering you seem to be a high achiever. Imperial also has many links to the industry (Rolls-Royce, McLaren etc) which will undoubtably help for your employment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got predicted A*A*A, with an A in physics though, and Imperial wants A*A*A with A*'s in physics and maths.... :/
I'm gonna talk to my teacher and see if I van get predicted an A* as well
I'm not sure if I should be posting this here, but can anyone offer me advice on Civil Engineering at UCL?
Reply 22
Hello fannyk, did you endup going to UCL? If so what are your first impressions? I got accepted there too for BEng and I'm hesitating between that and prepa in France, I'm French too.
Any updates, has UCL improved at all since this thread was made?
Got into mech eng through UCAS extra which generally isn't a good sign
Still wondering whether to accept the offer or apply to Imperial after a gap year.
My predicted grades are A* A A - will i be able to do chemical/mechanical engineering at top uni like wawrick, imperial, kings, ucl - with my subjects:

Maths
Chemistry
Business
I am worried as business is a soft subject, will i be disadvantaged so will i get rejected regardless of my grade? is it best for me to do a subject like psychyology in a year and do business as, if not i can still do psychology for AS
Reply 25
Original post by joseph9299
My predicted grades are A* A A - will i be able to do chemical/mechanical engineering at top uni like wawrick, imperial, kings, ucl - with my subjects:

Maths
Chemistry
Business
I am worried as business is a soft subject, will i be disadvantaged so will i get rejected regardless of my grade? is it best for me to do a subject like psychyology in a year and do business as, if not i can still do psychology for AS

Firstly, it's much better to create your own thread to ask questions like this :smile:

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you've already asked this elsewhere and been given answers.

Thirdly, you will need Physics to study MechEng at those universities. For ChemEng you're probably ok, but simply check the typical entry requirements at the universities you are considering. The information is all there. For example you might need A*A*A at Imperial. Idk. You need to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sebsword
Any updates, has UCL improved at all since this thread was made?
Got into mech eng through UCAS extra which generally isn't a good sign
Still wondering whether to accept the offer or apply to Imperial after a gap year.

Yes. Improved majorly from what the students on the course have said.
Original post by BluntBluster
Yes. Improved majorly from what the students on the course have said.

Thanks , glad to hear some good news about the department for once.

Where are all these engineers tho 😂can't seem to find them at all on here, I'd love to be able to talk more in depth about the course if u happen to know someone. Are you studying at UCL now btw, or is this just what you've heard from friends?
Thanks , glad to hear some good news about the department for once.

Where are all these engineers tho 😂can't seem to find them at all on here, I'd love to be able to talk more in depth about the course if u happen to know someone. Are you studying at UCL now btw, or is this just what you've heard from friends?

Engineers from UCL go on to a wide array of jobs simply because a UCL degree i world renown. Army officers, plant processing, food industry are a few potential careers to name just a few.

Not a student, have an offer for ChemEng, been 3 or 4 times and have a good insight into the department. Im just reciprocating what the current students tell me. Maybe they're chatting **** idk
Original post by BluntBluster
Engineers from UCL go on to a wide array of jobs simply because a UCL degree i world renown. Army officers, plant processing, food industry are a few potential careers to name just a few.

Not a student, have an offer for ChemEng, been 3 or 4 times and have a good insight into the department. Im just reciprocating what the current students tell me. Maybe they're chatting **** idk

Thing is with UCL though, they're always going to attract people that are motivated and are likely to succeed and do well in any environment, but if people are saying it's improved I'll just have to trust that. I just find it weird that nobody's made a post about it since 2014, guess I haven't heard anything bad since then either so that's could be a good sign.
I just find it weird that nobody's made a post about it since 2014, guess I haven't heard anything bad since then either so that's could be a good sign.

I wouldn't read too much from that tbh, there's not that many active users on TSR let alone the engineering forum or university students in particular that you could expect a student from a given university to be active in making posts over a several year period.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I wouldn't read too much from that tbh, there's not that many active users on TSR let alone the engineering forum or university students in particular that you could expect a student from a given university to be active in making posts over a several year period.

No it's true. The course has vastly improved in the last 3 years. Current 3rd years are the first to do the new course, and it's A LOT better
Original post by vannson
No it's true. The course has vastly improved in the last 3 years. Current 3rd years are the first to do the new course, and it's A LOT better

Says who though?

Additionally I've seen a few situations in the past where universities sorta brainwash their students into the idea that their course is amazing when in fact it's nowhere near that level, e.g. Soton advertises a lot of their facilities/teaching for aero as being high level and their students generally believe that when in fact they're pretty bog standard. So I'm going to remain fairly skeptical about UCL until I've heard a detailed description from a 3rd year.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Says who though?

Additionally I've seen a few situations in the past where universities sorta brainwash their students into the idea that their course is amazing when in fact it's nowhere near that level, e.g. Soton advertises a lot of their facilities/teaching for aero as being high level and their students generally believe that when in fact they're pretty bog standard. So I'm going to remain fairly skeptical about UCL until I've heard a detailed description from a 3rd year.

I've had a detailed history and description from a 3rd year, giving me a breakdown of why the course used to suck and what they've done, and how it was messy in the first year.
I've just finished my 1st year, and I personally enjoyed it. Could be better, but I feel like there is no such thing as a perfect course. There are a lot of people who don't like it because they actually have to put effort in, and start complaining.
Original post by vannson
I've had a detailed history and description from a 3rd year, giving me a breakdown of why the course used to suck and what they've done, and how it was messy in the first year.
I've just finished my 1st year, and I personally enjoyed it. Could be better, but I feel like there is no such thing as a perfect course. There are a lot of people who don't like it because they actually have to put effort in, and start complaining.

Completely agree; also just finished my first year at UCL (though at civil eng, not mech).
Original post by vannson

Hi im going to study at UCL soon to do Mech Eng and I would like to know how the course is for first year and have there been improvement fixing the problem people seem to have ?
Reply 36
Original post by joseph9299

Maths
Chemistry
Business

where did you end up? what have you achieved ?
Original post by anhkiet1903
Hi im going to study at UCL soon to do Mech Eng and I would like to know how the course is for first year and have there been improvement fixing the problem people seem to have ?

Hi, I know this is 2 years later but I just wanted to ask if u went to UCL?? I have an offer from there to study Mech eng and I've heard a lot of negatives. So I really need some insight

Quick Reply

Latest