The Student Room Group

Paying uni

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Basically, I can pay upfront for my Uni fees - I havent applied for student finance. Do I need to tell my Uni that I am paying upfront, and if so, by when?

Thanks for any help :smile:
You will need to prove entitlement to being considered a home student for fees which are of course less than international.
Original post by Osu

Basically, I can pay upfront for my Uni fees - I havent applied for student finance. Do I need to tell my Uni that I am paying upfront, and if so, by when?

You're actually highly likely to be financially better off in both the short and the long term if you do take out the student loan - this explains it much better than I can http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/should-i-get-student-loan
Reply 3
Original post by Osu

The uni will send you an invoice for the fees when they find that you won't be funded by Student Finance. Mine sent me my first year fee invoice in the August before I started and it arrived both via email and in the regular post. I didn't contact them proactively. You can pay before the start if the year if you want, but most will accept payment in the first couple of weeks. You can also pay in instalments at most unis.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
You're actually highly likely to be financially better off in both the short and the long term if you do take out the student loan - this explains it much better than I can http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/should-i-get-student-loan

But the interest starts as soon as I start Uni - I'd rather not have to pay back interest

Original post by Klix88
The uni will send you an invoice for the fees when they find that you won't be funded by Student Finance. Mine sent me my first year fee invoice in the August before I started and it arrived both via email and in the regular post. I didn't contact them proactively. You can pay before the start if the year if you want, but most will accept payment in the first couple of weeks. You can also pay in instalments at most unis.

Brilliant thank you :smile:
Original post by Osu
But the interest starts as soon as I start Uni - I'd rather not have to pay back interest

Brilliant thank you :smile:

The repayments are based on how much you earn, not how much you owe or the interest rates. Many people will never earn enough to pay off the capital, let alone the interest.

Did you read the link I posted above?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
The repayments are based on how much you earn, not how much you owe or the interest rates. Many people will never earn enough to pay off the capital, let alone the interest.

Did you read the link I posted above?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's too late for me to apply for student finance anyway, so it's not an option for me any more, but thanks for the link.
Nonsense.
You can apply for finance anytime.
The "deadline" is just the date before which they expect to have you sorted before university starts.
Reply 8
Original post by Osu
It's too late for me to apply for student finance anyway, so it's not an option for me any more, but thanks for the link.

Just for info, the 30th May 'deadline' is just the last date on which SF will guarantee that the money will arrive by the start of the academic year. If you apply later, there's a risk of the money bring late (the later you apply, the later the money might arrive). You can actually apply any time up to 9 months after the start of the academic year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending