The Student Room Group

Can I apply for two different courses at two different universities?

So I researched and found out it is a bad idea to apply for two different courses at the same uni because they'll think you're not committed and might go against you. I am currently studying Biology Chemistry Maths and Media Studies (will drop for A2). So since I will be applying for universities after summer I wanted to know if I can apply for different courses at different universities?

I originally want to do Dentistry but as it's really hard to get in as you all probably know. My other interest is Computer Science or Computing which is my Plan B. So how should I go by with this?

Apply for all universities for Dentistry or apply for Dentistry at some and Computing at some?
Hello beautiful <3
Yes, you can apply for two different courses for two different universities (in fact, you can apply for two different courses, even from different departments and potentially faculties from the same university).

However, your Personal Statement would be put to the test. You can only submit one personal statement through UCAS. If you apply for two different courses, you must display your suitably and interest towards BOTH courses. It's very well if the two courses are related to some extent (for example if both are Humanities or if both of them are related to Healthcare) but in your case things can get a little tricky for your personal statement. I guess you can split the statement up and show off your suitability to both subject areas, dividing the personal statement into two halves, but then it would be difficult to maintain coherence and fluidity of communication throughout the personal statement. In addition, you will not be able to write enough for either subject area unless you're really efficient with space and perhaps manage to reconcile the the two halves in some intricate and impressive way.

Good luck to you.
Original post by Ghost10Bxl
So I researched and found out it is a bad idea to apply for two different courses at the same uni because they'll think you're not committed and might go against you. I am currently studying Biology Chemistry Maths and Media Studies (will drop for A2). So since I will be applying for universities after summer I wanted to know if I can apply for different courses at different universities?

I originally want to do Dentistry but as it's really hard to get in as you all probably know. My other interest is Computer Science or Computing which is my Plan B. So how should I go by with this?

Apply for all universities for Dentistry or apply for Dentistry at some and Computing at some?

You will stand no chance at all with dentistry if your ps isn't entirely geared towards it. (I suggest you have a look in the dentistry forum for details of other people's experience.) You can only apply to four dentistry courses, but your fifth can be anything. Course which are typically used as backups for medics and dentists will have admissions tutors who understand the situation and are often fine with a dentistry ps, but computer science is very different and you may struggle to get an offer for this. However, you will definitely get nothing for dentistry without a dentistry ps, so if that's your real aim, there's nothing else to be done. If you are unlucky, you may be lucky in clearing, and universities will often accept a new ps in this situation. If you think this is likely to happen to you, it makes sense to have a new ps ready in case of emergency.
Original post by missfrivolous
Hello beautiful <3
Yes, you can apply for two different courses for two different universities (in fact, you can apply for two different courses, even from different departments and potentially faculties from the same university).

However, your Personal Statement would be put to the test. You can only submit one personal statement through UCAS. If you apply for two different courses, you must display your suitably and interest towards BOTH courses. It's very well if the two courses are related to some extent (for example if both are Humanities or if both of them are related to Healthcare) but in your case things can get a little tricky for your personal statement. I guess you can split the statement up and show off your suitability to both subject areas, dividing the personal statement into two halves, but then it would be difficult to maintain coherence and fluidity of communication throughout the personal statement. In addition, you will not be able to write enough for either subject area unless you're really efficient with space and perhaps manage to reconcile the the two halves in some intricate and impressive way.

Good luck to you.
OP is applying for dentistry. He must target his ps completely at that course to stand any chance at all.
Reply 4
Email some universities to see if they accept alternative personal statements.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
OP is applying for dentistry. He must target his ps completely at that course to stand any chance at all.

My advice would therefore be to either drop the idea of Computer Science or give up on Denistry. Whatever the OP chooses :smile:
Original post by missfrivolous
My advice would therefore be to either drop the idea of Computer Science or give up on Denistry. Whatever the OP chooses :smile:

Mine would be the same.
A lot of universities do accept alternative personal statements when applying for things like medicine/dentistry. One of my friends applied for medicine, his back up was history and politics, they simply emailed and asked if he could send a different personal statement. Whatever you do, don't include anything to do with CS in your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
A lot of universities do accept alternative personal statements when applying for things like medicine/dentistry. One of my friends applied for medicine, his back up was history and politics, they simply emailed and asked if he could send a different personal statement. Whatever you do, don't include anything to do with CS in your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't agree more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending