The Student Room Group

Importance of AS levels when applying to uni?

Hey. Just got my as results and they werent bad, but werent good. Since I am retaking modules, unis wont see my AS results as my school has a policy of not certificating any AS results if you retake any modules. Basically they will see 6a*, 3 a's at gcse and a three A prediction. I want to apply for econ at a top uni, so will having none of my as results certified put me at a disadvantage, even though they see my prediction and gcse's? Obviously this doesnt count for oxbridge as you have to write your results on a seperate application form anyways. Im talking unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, and Durham.

thanks.
Reply 1
Unless you are planning to apply to Cambridge (which requires you to tell them all of your AS module scores and grades) then they don't matter so much in the University admissions process. However, if you have done particularly well it certainly helps - especially if your referee writes some of your top scores on your reference. I wouldn't worry though.

PS - It certainly won't go against you not having them certified. I don't think many schools certificate the AS results.
Reply 2
First thing to say is that your lecturers need to use your AS grades to give predicted grades, can you expect them to predict a B if you only got an E (for example)
Secondly - from next year (not this years' applicants about to apply), all univerisites will see all grade in each of the 6 exams making up your A-level in order to establish who 'scraped' an A and who passsed with flying colours.
I'm sure that begins THIS year for entry into 2007. Universities will be able to see unit grades for those that were cashed apparently.
Reply 4
Well, in terms of module marks, I have some outstanding module marks, but another module is poor and brings me down. I will still get AAA prediction from my results though. I have AABBC, but am scrapping the C, so will have AABB and as a result will hav AAA prediction.

In reply to above, mine arent going to be cashed anyway, so this wont apply.

I was actually thinking about applying to Oxford. How do As results come into the Oxford application?

thanks for the replies so far.
Reply 5
I'm writing the references for about 55 students this year, and the information I've been given is reasonably up to date. Oxford and Cambridge usually request the module marks if they decide to interview. You could say no, but that doesn't really reflect too well.
I've just checked my new paperwork about the stating of module marks and it says nothing about it being on the 2007 entires, but that may mean it has been missed out of my handbook as opposed to it not happening, (although I'm sure they said it was beginning from next year.....). Either way, I suppose it doesn't really matter. If you are thinking of retaking the unit and not cashing in until next year then they'll only see the retake module grade and not the one you declined.
Reply 6
these were my grades (was predicted AAAAA!!!!)-

econ-a
bio- a
maths b(by 3 marks)
crit think- b
chem -c

now i think there has been a mistake with my chemistry as I checked the answers to both papers after the exam, and I should have got an A in unit 2 and a low A in unit 1. Turns out I got a D in unit 1 and a B in unit 2. I knew maths would be borderline, so I can understand that grade. its unbelievable. worth a remark? Anyway, even though Im not doing chem next year, do you think its worth re-doing unit 1 to push it upto at least a B?
Reply 7
gentoo
Cambridge usually request the module marks if they decide to interview.

Actually, Cambridge require unit marks when you fill in the Cambridge Application Form.

Latest