The Student Room Group

So, let's say I go to a bad university...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Life_peer
Buy a t-shirt with Mickey Mouse. :wink:

dentistry and medicine are mickey mouse now? :wink:
Tbh there's not a lot of point going to a really low ranked university (which I would consider to be BBC or below, or one that lets in people with these grades through clearing etc.) - unless of course it is highly ranked for your course or you are doing such a course that the ranking of the university doesn't matter - e.g. medicine/ dentistry (although these generally require A/A*s of course!). A family friend at a pretty rubbish uni doing a science degree has really struggled to get any jobs, mainly because his A levels were a bit rubbish and he was unable to get any decent work experience/ internships due to his low grades.

You would be better off retaking the year and doing some work (with a bit of work pretty much anyone can achieve A/B grades at A level tbh), or alternatively doing an access course/ foundation year at a well-respected uni/ transferring to a good uni after the year (for example I believe Nottingham does quite a few foundation courses with surprisingly low entrance requirements but guaranteeing entry onto their usual degree courses after successful completion of the year).However, some of these courses require you to fulfill certain criteria such as going to a poor school, having extenuating circumstances or coming from a low-income background I believe.

Another thing that is essential is doing a decent degree subject - pick an academically rigorous subject (that you love, otherwise you won't be motivated enough to succeed in your degree) or one with very good employment prospects, make sure you check out the employment statistics for each uni/ subject you are interested in and check what kinds of jobs graduates usually got. During your degree, get some work experience, do an internship, take on leadership roles in societies, perhaps learn additional skills such as a new language, take advantage of any opportunities for these as part of your degree (e.g. a language module, a year abroad option, a placement year, etc.), basically do as much as you can to stand out and highlight skills not necessarily learnt in your degree (e.g. communication, leadership, organisation, teamwork skills - easily demonstrated through being an active member of a society or doing some relevant work experience).

When looking at universities your main focus should be on the course and what it offers to you - pick one with good employment prospects, a good ranking, and opportunities for further development (e.g. year abroad). Then think about the other things the university offers - e.g. the option to take modules from other subjects, free language courses, business start-up funding/ advice, etc. After this, you should think about how happy you would be to study there (e.g. do you like the campus feel or want to live in a lively city?), any scholarships/ grants/ other financial help available (if applicable to you and you think you will need financial support), etc.
Original post by teen1234
dentistry and medicine are mickey mouse now? :wink:

If this is what they teach you with. :tongue:

Original post by the mezzil
ABB is pretty **** to be honest (unless they are in hard subjects). Everyone gets that these days. It is just average.

Haha, I got BBC so I must be a retard compared to half of the people on here :wink:

Good job I got a 1st in my first year!
Original post by LJStudent
Haha, I got BBC so I must be a retard compared to half of the people on here :wink:

Good job I got a 1st in my first year!

Well done. But it is nothing to shout about.
Well done. But it is nothing to shout about.

Getting a 1st is pretty good, unless some Russell Group university has invented a new grade that's EVEN BETTER than a 1st...for example "1st+", if they weren't pretentious enough already :wink:
Reply 26
If this is what they teach you with. :tongue:

ROFL, i actually lol'd
assuming, of course, you realise the standard of dental and medical education is the same at all unis
Original post by teen1234
ROFL, i actually lol'd
assuming, of course, you realise the standard of dental and medical education is the same at all unis

Yes, I was just joking. :smile:
Reply 28
Yes, I was just joking. :smile:

Haha, tbh ive yet to meet someone whod be that ignorant- even still theyd eat their words when id tell them my grades :P gonna be wierd tho, going to a uni where the med and dent students are a lot better at maths than the maths students
That's BBB-ABB. In what world is that poor? A-Levels are pretty irrelevant when you have a degree anyway. The Psychology course offers an optional placement year, which many Psychology courses don't offer so you already have experience when you finish your degree.

Really? There are so many companies out there that won't touch you without a good set of A-Levels.
ABB is pretty **** to be honest (unless they are in hard subjects). Everyone gets that these days. It is just average.

It depends on a variety of factors. ABB may be crap to you but amazing to someone else. The insensitivity is real.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Really? There are so many companies out there that won't touch you without a good set of A-Levels.

Good job I'm going to start my own business :smile:

That i agree with totally, its getting increasingly more competitive considering the increase in international students with better qualifications for top places at university. ABB is like average.
Getting a 1st is pretty good, unless some Russell Group university has invented a new grade that's EVEN BETTER than a 1st...for example "1st+", if they weren't pretentious enough already :wink:

1st in first year... not hard really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
It depends on a variety of factors. ABB may be crap to you but amazing to someone else. The insensitivity is real.

Of course if you come from a bad educational background, it means more to you since you tried harder. However, it is still just an ABB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1st in first year... not hard really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well way to go ****ting on my parade sir! I put in some hard work this year and it paid off, be proud for me.
Well way to go ****ting on my parade sir! I put in some hard work this year and it paid off, be proud for me.

Well done! Keep it up and get 1st in the next two years then you can be proud :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done! Keep it up and get 1st in the next two years then you can be proud :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's more like it :biggrin:

Mine might be an extra 4 years...have an opportunity to transfer to Masters + a placement year :smile:
That's more like it :biggrin:

Mine might be an extra 4 years...have an opportunity to transfer to Masters + a placement year :smile:

Get a PHD and only then I will bow down to you and kiss your shoes :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get a PHD and only then I will bow down to you and kiss your shoes :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending