The Student Room Group

Those of you who took the GCSE Edexcel Additional Science Biology exam today...

Edited
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think the idea was that peristalsis moves solids through the alimentary canal better than liquids and it is mostly fibre which makes up the solid content of your food inside the small intestine.
Reply 2
Original post by Shadowninja107
I think the idea was that peristalsis moves solids through the alimentary canal better than liquids and it is mostly fibre which makes up the solid content of your food inside the small intestine.

OK, thank you for your answer, but it's not really the answer to the question that I'm looking for. I'm wondering if the information is actually in the syllabus and if anyone else struggled with this question?
Reply 3
Original post by HelpMeRhonda
There was a question about people who have less than the recommended daily allowance of fibre and how this affects the movement of food in their small intestine.

I wasn't able to answer this question; I've checked through my revision guide and I've checked on other websites such as Bitesize, but I can't seem to find any information about this in the syllabus.

Was anyone else able to answer this question? Am I missing anything in the syllabus? Are the questions allowed to include topics that aren't in the syllabus?

I didn't know either, I said that muscle contractions take place (peristalsis) to move food along the alimentary canal, if people don't eat enough fibre than the muscles won't be used to it and so peristalsis won't work as well in the small intestine :/
So long as you knew about peristalsis, the answer was all in the question
Not allowed to discuss questions until midnight for Edexcel exams guys, sorry.
Reply 6
Original post by Nothematic

I read somewhere that TSR changed it.

Thanks for the reminder. I wondered why there was such a lack of discussion about the place.
Reply 8

I knew about peristalsis, so could you expand on that please?
Reply 9

Sorry, I didn't realise.
i think there will be low grade boundaries XD
Original post by Angelo12231

Let's hope so :biggrin:
I put about peristalsis :biggrin:
what about the multiple choice question about small interstine... i think one of the tick boxes was it only absorbs glucose or something... What did people put for that?
for anyone doing triple on this thread... take a look, hard look, at this:
OMG.jpg

Was it?
I struggled
Reply 17
Peristalsis couldn't function efficiently as muscles contractions were weaker/not enough fiber to fuel muscle? Fiber is the solid which makes up the small intestine right?
Original post by pphilip99
Was it?
I struggled

I've been all through the syllabus and can't find anything about fibres/dietary fibres in the small intestine :confused:
Original post by Angelo12231
what about the multiple choice question about small interstine... i think one of the tick boxes was it only absorbs glucose or something... What did people put for that?

I can't really remember what I put to be honest, but I think I may have put that it only absorbs glucose.

Not sure if it's just me, but that exam paper seemed quite harsh.

Quick Reply

Latest