The Student Room Group

Exam Pet Peeves?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Why can't the invigilators wait until the exam is over before ordering in a tray of tea???

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was right at the back yesterday, and there was this invigilator wearing shoes with charm things on them and they kept jingling really loudly whenever she walked. She spent the whole 2 hours walking up and down right behind me, and whenever I stopped to think I couldn't because it was just constant JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE, did my head in.

Oh, and the sniffers. Dear Lord, the sniffers.
(edited 9 years ago)
At my particular uni it's the middle age invigilator bloke who thinks he's the next coming of Ricky Gervais. I don't want to hear your **** jokes, I'm stressing, please just let me sit my exam. And in exams where you can take stuff in and something falls off your desk, I had this last month and the invigilator just looks at me as I have to slide basically under my table to reach a paper with my foot.
Wobbly desks. JUST MAKE ALL THE LEGS THE SAME HEIGHT - IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!
Can I just give a massive shout-out to all invigilators who pick up the pen/paper/card that you've dropped from your desk. Big respect.
Reply 185
I'm quite happy with my current seat where we sit for most exams, but when they first started I sat at the front for Geography and French exams because there were only a few classes, and the desk was slanted. It seems like it is part of the design but what is the point? School tables or desks at home aren't slanted, so what's the idea?

Also annoys me when you write so much that ink begins to ooze out from around the ball in a ballpoint pen, sometimes I wipe it off onto a blank area on the paper, resulting in random black dots, sometimes onto the table, but then somebody has to clean it so on the real ones I just end up wiping the pen with my finger.
Reply 186
What angers me is the fact that the invigilators take forever to walk to you and give you paper. I literally have to look between two or three invigilators to get their attention and when I do, they take their time. Like, no. Please. I don't have much time for YOU to take YOUR time!

That's all. Slow invigilators. *shoots self* what's the point of them? Seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaitlinN15
When the invigilators decide to have a little chitchat and gossip during a long exam and they 'whisper' really loudly.. One time it happened in one of my sciences and they were all over the sport hall and they were like proper loudly 'whispering' their names in order to tell them to get some.paper or something for a student.. -.- happens all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

This happened to me in my AS History exam - I was at the very front, and they were constantly talking throughout right in front of me. At the end they must've noticed I was literally trying to block my ears :tongue:, so they just gave me (without me asking) 5 extra minutes, which meant I could finish my conclusion :biggrin::biggrin: I got 94 UMS on that as well hehee
I find that my desk is not always big enough, I was quite lucky today as I was actually at a desk big enough for all my stuff and had a chair that could spin around and just felt like I wanted to spin around on it, I thought that they would think I was a bit insane :smile: I don't really have a problem with people making a noise as i'm in a smaller room but i did have a seagull the other day that decided that it would be appropriate to cheer me on in my exam :/

Embedded it for you.

Great vid.
What really annoyed me this year is that the invigilators always moaned about turning off you phones and in my history exam, theirs went off twice. Then it went off again in the middle of my maths exam. :angry:
Reply 191
People that sigh every 30 seconds ​ohmygod just shut up
Invigillators who think it is funny to bring you the entire new pack of paper when you ask for a sheet, saying that you might need it when you clearly won't and then it falls all over the floor, getting you dirty looks.
Reply 193
One 'inviligator' decided to throw a plastic storage box full of stuff onto the floor, making an almighty bang during the maths exam, causing everyone to pause, although by then most people had long finished and had sat there... Another thing that annoys me! Especially during maths! You could easily have typed something wrong in the calculator, etc, that's why I do as many calculations as I can again to make sure, making the most of every second.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So many...

My school nearly always insists on putting me at the front, right next to where the invigilators are, who then proceed to have a nice little chat right in the middle of my exam, it is so annoying.
I get extra time and a laptop, so everyone finishes before me and has a really loud conversation right outside the exam hall, it is really annoying.
Loud shoes- they are so annoying
For the fourth exam season in a row, I was the one of the last people in my year to finish my exams, while everyone goes on about what a nice time they are having now their exams are over, sometimes it feels like they do it just to annoy me. I am just praying that next year I'll be the first to finish, and it will my turn to get my revenge over all the misery I have suffered over the years.
I use a laptop for my exams, and in one of my year 10 history exams, the laptop crashed right in the middle and I lost a lot of my work as a result. I had my hand up for ages to say that the laptop had crashed before the invigilator, on the other side of the hall finally realised that I had my hand up, and at first, they thought I had finished. When I explained to them what had happened, they called someone from ICT support over (which took a long time), and once it was fixed and I realised just how much of my work I had lost, I complained and they told me to continue, and I didn't manage to finish even though I would have done if the laptop hadn't crashed. I was really upset about it, and to make matters worse, I had an exam that afternoon when I was still badly effected by what had happened that morning. The school applied for special consideration, and SOMEHOW, I still don't know how I managed it, I got an A in both.I still say that those are the results I am proudest of though.
Also, when I print my answers at the end of the exam, the school always takes a while to print them, when all I want to do is go home and forget about the exam.
I know I have many annoyances
My absolute fear is me knocking over all of my pencil case stuff and making a huge racket and scrambling to get all my stuff and the invigilators giving me a look like I'm a mad woman :lol: heaven forbid it never happens though
I know it's been said before but coughers really wind me up. A girl in my exam last week just would't stop coughing for 5 minutes and it was so off-putting. As my RS teacher used to say, die quietly please! :tongue:
Reply 197
Fancy exam board language e.g. 'candidates' and 'centres', why don't they just say 'students' and 'schools'??!!!

Why aren't the equations/formulas page/periodic table perforated or separate, to save you from wasting time switching back and fourth during the science/maths exam?
In Geography the OS Map key in the insert is perforated (though our teacher discourages us from tearing it out so that she can reuse them!) so I don't see why they can't do the same in Chemistry, physics and maths.

Oh, and to really eliminate this 'waiting for paper' issue,
Dear OCR,
Please stop wasting paper with those pointless 'DO NOT WRITE ON THIS PAGE' pages, or 'QUESTION 12 BEGINS ON THE NEXT PAGE' and just put some extra lines on instead?
Thank you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bj1
Fancy exam board language e.g. 'candidates' and 'centres', why don't they just say 'students' and 'schools'??!!!

Because not everyone who takes the exams are students, and not everywhere that has exams are schools (or colleges).
When you look up to check the time and you catch an invigilator looking at you... BISH I'm not cheating, I'm just checking the time.

Quick Reply

Latest