The Student Room Group

Geography/Environmental Science 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Chloe Barrett
I've firmed an offer from lancaster for bSc geography :smile: has anyone else?

Hey, I'm considering firming Lancaster for geography bsc but i'm not 100% sure... My offers (that i'm considering) are: Lancaster AAB, Exeter AAB and UEA ABB/unconditional upgrade. With Lancaster I might do a minor in sustainable engineering tho. I'm really torn between all 3 unis, how did you choose Lancaster?
Original post by Safelo
Hey, I'm considering firming Lancaster for geography bsc but i'm not 100% sure... My offers (that i'm considering) are: Lancaster AAB, Exeter AAB and UEA ABB/unconditional upgrade. With Lancaster I might do a minor in sustainable engineering tho. I'm really torn between all 3 unis, how did you choose Lancaster?

Hiya :smile: yeah they all seem like good unis! Have you been on a lancaster open day? Well I really like the course at lancaster and the flexible degree scheme! I love the lancaster campus it felt very welcoming and I wasn't interested in a big city! I like the range of geography modules and field trips too! :smile:
Reply 382
Hiya :smile: yeah they all seem like good unis! Have you been on a lancaster open day? Well I really like the course at lancaster and the flexible degree scheme! I love the lancaster campus it felt very welcoming and I wasn't interested in a big city! I like the range of geography modules and field trips too! :smile:

Yeah I have, I went to the open day and applicant day and loved it both times- although on the applicant day I went on my own and since I live in north London was admittedly a bit nervous because I was proper worried that I'd get lost on the way :smile:. The main issue I have is that its quite small and far away from lots of things if you know what I mean (although ik its not that bad)... Can I ask you what your interested in when it comes to geography? For me the main things are: sustainability, climate change, energy and biology.
Original post by Safelo
Yeah I have, I went to the open day and applicant day and loved it both times- although on the applicant day I went on my own and since I live in north London was admittedly a bit nervous because I was proper worried that I'd get lost on the way :smile:. The main issue I have is that its quite small and far away from lots of things if you know what I mean (although ik its not that bad)... Can I ask you what your interested in when it comes to geography? For me the main things are: sustainability, climate change, energy and biology.

Yeah it is quite a small city but I like that :smile: the bus system is very good though and it's not too far from manchester. :smile: I like the glaciation topics and natural hazards, etc
Reply 384
Yeah it is quite a small city but I like that :smile: the bus system is very good though and it's not too far from manchester. :smile: I like the glaciation topics and natural hazards, etc

Nicee. Btw when you went to Lancaster did you look in the town? When i went I couldn't find any night clubs lol
Original post by Safelo
Nicee. Btw when you went to Lancaster did you look in the town? When i went I couldn't find any night clubs lol

I only went in briefly :smile: it looked really nice! I didn't see any night clubs but I know there are definitely some! If you were wanting to go to different places frequently maybe a bit city would be better :smile:
I only went in briefly :smile: it looked really nice! I didn't see any night clubs but I know there are definitely some! If you were wanting to go to different places frequently maybe a bit city would be better :smile:

Are you on the fb lancaster freshers page?
Original post by Alexandra19
Hi :smile:

The course is really flexible, more so than a lot of others I think, that's why I chose Liverpool.

There's 8 modules in first year including 5 compulsory ones. 3 of the compulsory modules are specific to whichever course you're doing, whether it's BA or BSc, one is an introductory environmental change module that covers both human and physical geography, and the other compulsory module is study skills.

For your 3 optional modules, they will recommend that you take some of the compulsory modules from the type of geography that you aren't doing. You're welcome to take all 3 of your optional modules in the other type of geography if you like, most people do that and it gives you a really good mixture of material to learn and keeps things interesting, but, if you want to stick with all BA or BSc modules, it's definitely still worth asking (that's what I did).

Sorry for the long winded reply haha, it's not really easy to explain!

Are you thinking of applying for human or physical? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

I've applied for both Environmental Science (BSc) and Geography (BSc) at Uni of Liverpool, with unconditional offers for both. I'm just finding it really difficult right now to decide between the two!

On the uni's website both courses state that optional modules can be taken from other earth science courses, such as Geology, Geophysics and Marine Biology. In your experience, are students limited to the number of these external modules they may take or is the choice entirely up to them?

Also, how much integration is there between the Geo and ES students, as I know that Geo has quite an established community at Liverpool, however I'm finding it difficult to find much on ES students. It's one of the factors holding me back from choosing ES, as it seems almost brushed under the carpet in comparison to Geo BSc.

Thanks in advance for any help!
If any of you want to bulk buy some textbooks, I have most of the useful yr1/2 ones and especially if you are going into teaching Geography/Leisure and Tourism. PM me for titles or to see if I have what is on your reading list.
Reply 389
Bristol or Exeter?!

If you're applying to Geography at Bristol or Exeter, what are you thinking?
If you're studying Geography there currently, how are you finding it?

My current unconditional offers are:
Geography BSc, Exeter
Geography BSc, Bristol
(I am switching from Birmingham, was studying a different subject).

Bristol's geography course is slightly higher ranked than Exeter's geography course in the league table, but Exeter as a university is higher rated than Bristol.

General Questions about the course:

How helpful, clear, and inspiring are the lectures?
Overall teaching quality?
Have you found the physical and human modules stimulating?
Is the guidance and feedback good around assignments and exams?
Are there many contact hours aside from lectures, so seminars etc. with good one-to-one help?
Are the study skills and research methods modules very maths heavy? I wouldn't mind this to be honest.
The geography department as a whole, is it well organised with good facilities and study space?
Is their good extra-curricular and careers advice?
Do you find fellow students are enthusiastic to engage in academic discussion?
And just anything else you worth noting!

My strongest interest is climate change.
Anyone here for Environmental Science at Leeds?
Reply 391
Anyone here got an offer from LSE for BA Geography?
Anyone here got an offer for Geography BSc at Lancaster? :smile:
Original post by Kializ96
Anyone here got an offer for Geography BSc at Lancaster? :smile:

I do ! 😁 so excited!
I do ! 😁 so excited!

Ahh yay!! Same here literally cannot wait! :biggrin:
Ahh yay!! Same here literally cannot wait! :biggrin:

Whoo me too! 😄 are you on the facebook freshers page? 😊
No I'm not actually haha ill go do that now :P
No I'm not actually haha ill go do that now :P

Yay!😄
Reply 398
Yay!😄

Heyy, do u know which the correct fb lancaster freshers group is? there are so many that idk which one to join lol
Original post by Safelo
Heyy, do u know which the correct fb lancaster freshers group is? there are so many that idk which one to join lol

I think it's called Lancaster University Freshers 2015 :smile: if you can't find it adde and I'll link you 😄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending