The Student Room Group

Anyone doing the AQA Level 2 Further Maths Certificate?

Scroll to see replies

I did it last year. It was an interesting specification although I think it would have been a better use of time to do AS Maths instead.
Reply 21
Jw, is an A^ used to grade any other subject/qualification?
Original post by malena123
Jw, is an A^ used to grade any other subject/qualification?

dont think so
I'm doing this exam, everyone in Sets 1 and 2 for maths at our school has to :colone:
I feel I am not ready for this at all, especially the 6 mark questions...
Original post by Superfaye
I'm doing this exam, everyone in Sets 1 and 2 for maths at our school has to :colone:
I feel I am not ready for this at all, especially the 6 mark questions...

The 6 markers are like riddles made by Einstein they're that hard!!
Reply 25
Original post by Joshua697
The 6 markers are like riddles made by Einstein they're that hard!!

I think the circle theorem questions are the hardest :frown:
I think the circle theorem questions are the hardest :frown:

I hope something easy like matrices or simultaneous equations come up but they'll only be worth like 3 marks
Reply 27
Original post by Joshua697
I hope something easy like matrices or simultaneous equations come up but they'll only be worth like 3 marks

Same here but I think simultaneous equations are usually around 4-5 marks if you have a squared term or you have to interpret a graph.
Reply 28
All of set 1 has to do it and I am really behind. What is most likely to come in the non-calculator? I have literally done nothing but I'm a quick learner so gone learn it all this weekend
Best way to revise for the exam?
Reply 30
Original post by Invest
All of set 1 has to do it and I am really behind. What is most likely to come in the non-calculator? I have literally done nothing but I'm a quick learner so gone learn it all this weekend

Anything could be on it but stuff like surds won't ever really be on the calculator paper because otherwise you could just type the calculation into your calculator and it'd give you the answer without working anything out!
Reply 31
Original post by Patrick2810
Best way to revise for the exam?

I've done all of the past papers now and I've asked my teachers to go through some stuff I have difficulty in. The best way to revise for maths is to just practise loads of different questions.
Reply 32
Anything could be on it but stuff like surds won't ever really be on the calculator paper because otherwise you could just type the calculation into your calculator and it'd give you the answer without working anything out!

So we're looking at things like surds. Anything else? I need something to focus on because I won't be able to revise/learn everything for monday.
Reply 33
Does anyone know if we get credit for using higher level techniques for questions, like taking the second derivative to classify points on a line?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
does anybody have set 3 of the practice papers, i've found sets 1 and 2 but can't find 3?
Original post by Invest
So we're looking at things like surds. Anything else? I need something to focus on because I won't be able to revise/learn everything for monday.

Probably calculating the angle of a triangle using trigonometry, where you'll be required to convert angles like sin45 into degree form.. have you memorised all of those yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by kelly_kelly
Probably calculating the angle of a triangle using trigonometry, where you'll be required to convert angles like sin45 into degree form.. have you memorised all of those yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No need to memorise, just sketch the relevant triangle and use Pythagoras'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
No need to memorise, just sketch the relevant triangle and use Pythagoras'

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats true - kinda saves time if you know it off the top of your head :tongue:
Reply 38
Original post by cmcw
does anybody have set 3 of the practice papers, i've found sets 1 and 2 but can't find 3?

They're all here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/further-mathematics-8360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes (including the specimens).
Im doing this exam. Fun fun fun..... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest