The Student Room Group

I don't get how people can be playing video games the day before the exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Don't really see how you can tell people to man up when you constantly make threads seeking approval? Seems hypocritical

Of course it's hypocritical, if I self-identified as a man or even an adult I wouldn't be so butthurt by the term or nearly as imbalanced as I am
If you are good enough at your subject to do that, I don't see the problem? I used to do that and I still got high grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I'm a fourth year and started studying for my exam 2 days before the exam, I got a B. If you know the subject well then all you need to do is "Revise" not learn,
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I subscribe ti this view but I still end up cramming the day before. It feels mostly pointless but it stops me from feeling guilty.

Feel guilty about what? I don't get that, you're not obliged to revise
People vary in their revision techniques. I have one friend who just works full pelt throughout the year, whilst I tend to do nothing until a month or so before exams and then begin working. I've got a med school exam tomorrow and I do not see the point in getting into a massive panic. I would much rather chill the day before and go into the exam relaxed and refreshed than pull an all-nighter and turn up exhausted.
Feel guilty about what? I don't get that, you're not obliged to revise

I never feel like I have done enough work for exams, like ever. The fact I very rarely score top marks that is probably true.
I play games before my exams, I prefer to go into an exam relaxed rather than stressed out because I've revised that much, it works for me
can i get reps for no reason?
Reply 28
Original post by Sparticus515
I play games before my exams, I prefer to go into an exam relaxed rather than stressed out because I've revised that much, it works for me

This ^ As I normally get A*s it obviously works, different people do things in different ways :tongue:
Original post by Legal drugdealer
can i get reps for no reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
If you don't know it by now you'll never know it. Might as well relax rather than stress yourself and bore yourself to tears

Don't agree with this. You can learn stuff that can earn you some marks on the day before, or even on the day of the exam. Speaking from experience.
I never feel like I have done enough work for exams, like ever. The fact I very rarely score top marks that is probably true.

Compared to who? The only one putting pressure on yourself is you

Original post by Mechie
Don't agree with this. You can learn stuff that can earn you some marks on the day before, or even on the day of the exam. Speaking from experience.

If you've been doing your work properly you won't need to, plus I think the advantage from not being stressed massively cancels out any one or two marks you pick up (and **** up the rest of the paper due to anxiety)
Reply 32
If you've been doing your work properly you won't need to, plus I think the advantage from not being stressed massively cancels out any one or two marks you pick up (and **** up the rest of the paper due to anxiety)

I do do my work properly. I just know that I can utilise each day leading up to the exam, including the day before the exam and a scan of the notes on the day of the exam. It doesn't stress me out, or cause me any anxiety, it is what it is, the day before the exam, and it's only logical to read over stuff so that it remains fresh.
Compared to who? The only one putting pressure on yourself is you

Well duh, I want to have a chance of having a job that doesn't make me want to kill myself and allows me to not spend all my life with financial anxiety.

Plus there is all the social conditioning etc
Original post by Mechie
I do do my work properly. I just know that I can utilise each day leading up to the exam, including the day before the exam and a scan of the notes on the day of the exam. It doesn't stress me out, or cause me any anxiety, it is what it is, the day before the exam, and it's only logical to read over stuff so that it remains fresh.

Not really. Id argue it's more logical to chill in order to not be stressed and do well. But I guess different people work differently

Well duh, I want to have a chance of having a job that doesn't make me want to kill myself and allows me to not spend all my life with financial anxiety.

Plus there is all the social conditioning etc

And you don't need top marks in order to do that. Am I the only person that doesn't give a **** about exams?! Seriously I don't get what all the fuss is about. Will anyone die if you fail? Will the nukes fire? Will the fire nation attack? No. So stop panicking

lol mad me laugh so no complaints :tongue:
Not really. Id argue it's more logical to chill in order to not be stressed and do well. But I guess different people work differently

And you don't need top marks in order to do that. Am I the only person that doesn't give a **** about exams?! Seriously I don't get what all the fuss is about. Will anyone die if you fail? Will the nukes fire? Will the fire nation attack? No. So stop panicking

My family have always been big on academia and learning stuff, so for us exams are quite important. If I know I can do well, I will revise - because I think it would be a shame to miss out on some prestige/higher education because I've not put in the work.
However, I do find it difficult to motivate myself on a baking hot morning stuck in my room for three hours only to go into school and do yet more exams. Plus with subjects like languages, I'm hardly going to be able to learn a language to GCSE level in a day, so if I haven't revised enough already there's no point cramming ^^;
Reply 37

I'm not suggesting go mental and cram as if your life depends on it, but just take a measured approach on that day as well as the other days you've been revising.

Note where I said I rarely get top marks. I am almost always on the borderline between crapness and being average. My physics degree is all I feel like I have going for me career wise and anything below a 2:1 seriously hampers that. I've been borderline 2:2/2:1. I needed to put a load of effort if I have any hope of getting a 2:1. It's all done now though, just got to wait and see.

On the other hand you don't want to go into anything physics/engineering related. You got your modeling thing or whatever it is you do.
Original post by NonSequitur
My family have always been big on academia and learning stuff, so for us exams are quite important. If I know I can do well, I will revise - because I think it would be a shame to miss out on some prestige/higher education because I've not put in the work.
However, I do find it difficult to motivate myself on a baking hot morning stuck in my room for three hours only to go into school and do yet more exams. Plus with subjects like languages, I'm hardly going to be able to learn a language to GCSE level in a day, so if I haven't revised enough already there's no point cramming ^^;

That's what I'm saying - I don't think cramming is useful

Original post by Mechie
I'm not suggesting go mental and cram as if your life depends on it, but just take a measured approach on that day as well as the other days you've been revising.

Right, I thought you were recommending cramming! Yeah I can see that working

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending